Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > General > Ford vs The Competition
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-20-2012, 05:09 AM

tseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputation
Dodge Ram advertisement is very misleading

Ram is now claiming to have the best in class MPG's of any half ton truck. That is true if you're willing to settle for a regular cab truck with a short bed and a 4x2 drive train.

The truck is equipped with the auto start / stop feature.

3.6L V-6, 8 speed tranny and the 3.55 axle.

This drive train is not available in all cab configurations.

Ford's 3.7L is also somewhat limited but only in trim levels not cab configurations.

The 3.5L is available in all cabs and mostly across the trim levels and in all drive trains configs.

It looks like Ram is setting the bar pretty high. Unless the car makers can figure out how improve efficiency on the mid sized and compact trucks, they may well have met their match with Ford and Ram offering full sized trucks with more power and the same MPG's.
2010 Ford Focus
2004 Expedition XLT 4x2

FTE Guidelines
Old 11-20-2012, 06:15 AM

meborder has much to be proud ofmeborder has much to be proud ofmeborder has much to be proud ofmeborder has much to be proud ofmeborder has much to be proud ofmeborder has much to be proud ofmeborder has much to be proud ofmeborder has much to be proud ofmeborder has much to be proud of
i'm sure the 8-sp transmission has something to do with their MPG ratings.

with their track record of transmission performance, you have to ask your self the question:

"do I really want a dodge with 8 gears?"

i've always found it funny that ford, dodge and GM all claim "best in class" fuel economy. I suppose if you figgure out that a class is a purple, 2wd, extra cab, with 15" tires and 2.73 gears ... and you're the only one with that configuration .. guess what, you're the winner.
Be yourself - Always ... Unless you can be Batman, then Always be Batman
Old 11-20-2012, 06:58 AM
Senior User

03 SVT VERT has a good reputation on FTE.03 SVT VERT has a good reputation on FTE.03 SVT VERT has a good reputation on FTE.
All the manufacturers have little tricks they use to claim "best this" or "better than that." You really can't take any of their advertising at face value.

I know another little trick that Ram does is claiming their Hemi's hp/tq and fuel economy numbers on mid-grade gasoline (89 octane), rather than regular 87 octane like Ford does. Therefore, if you use regular gas in your Hemi Ram you likely aren't getting the full hp/tq and fuel economy that you think you are.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:14 AM
Posting Guru

stephen.osborne1 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.stephen.osborne1 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by meborder View Post

with their track record of transmission performance, you have to ask your self the question:

i've always found it funny that ford, dodge and GM all claim "best in class" fuel economy. I suppose if you figgure out that a class is a purple, 2wd, extra cab, with 15" tires and 2.73 gears ... and you're the only one with that configuration .. guess what, you're the winner.

Exactly what I was thinking... They seemed to have trouble buiding a decent 4 speed, and now twice the shifting? With FIAT technology? Ugh! LOL
1977 F-100 Custom 2wd Flareside 300 I6, AOD
2000 Honda Shadow Sabre
2010 F-150 FX4 SCREW 6.5', Ingot Silver, ARE Z series shell, 2" AS Leveling Kit
Old 11-20-2012, 04:33 PM
Posting Guru

LSchicago2 has a great reputation on FTE.LSchicago2 has a great reputation on FTE.LSchicago2 has a great reputation on FTE.LSchicago2 has a great reputation on FTE.
It didn't sway me from buying a new F150. Dodge also has a higher trim level to get the V6, which starts at $28K+.
2011 F550 XL V10 Rollback & 2013 F150 RCSB STX 5.0. Former trucks: 09 F550 Lariat S/C V10 4x4, 05 F450 S/C 6.0 F450 & 03 F450 V10 tow trucks. Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...81&ref=profile
Old 11-20-2012, 04:39 PM
Junior User

deputypq920 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Guys -
It's a Chrysler product.
'Nuff said.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:51 PM
Postmaster

Lead Head has a great reputation on FTE.Lead Head has a great reputation on FTE.Lead Head has a great reputation on FTE.Lead Head has a great reputation on FTE.Lead Head has a great reputation on FTE.Lead Head has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tseekins View Post
Ram is now claiming to have the best in class MPG's of any half ton truck. That is true if you're willing to settle for a regular cab truck with a short bed and a 4x2 drive train.
This is true for any truck or vehicle.
Quote:
The truck is equipped with the auto start / stop feature.
Only the higher trim HFE trim has the start/stop rated at 18/25. The standard 3.6/8spd is rated at 17/25.
Quote:
This drive train is not available in all cab configurations.

Ford's 3.7L is also somewhat limited but only in trim levels not cab configurations.
The 3.6L/8spd is available in every cab and bed configuration, including 4x4. The HFE Trim model (which includes start/stop) is only available in RCSB.
Quote:
Originally Posted by meborder View Post

I'd hope you'd have more faith then that, since their 8 speed is a ZF design, just like the 6 speed in current F-150s.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03 SVT VERT View Post
I know another little trick that Ram does is claiming their Hemi's hp/tq and fuel economy numbers on mid-grade gasoline (89 octane), rather than regular 87 octane like Ford does. Therefore, if you use regular gas in your Hemi Ram you likely aren't getting the full hp/tq and fuel economy that you think you are.
Incorrect. Fuel economy, horsepower and torque are all rated at 87 Octane. They recommend 89 Octane for optimal performance however.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSchicago2 View Post
It didn't sway me from buying a new F150. Dodge also has a higher trim level to get the V6, which starts at $28K+.
The V6 starts at $24,000. The base $23,000 engine is a 4.7L V8.

1987 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 2.9

Needs a lot of work, including some rot on the body, but shes getting there.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:06 PM
Junior User

honestcharlie56 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I wanna know how many people that have commented in this thread about dodges terrible transmission, have actually rebuilt a dodge transmission?!?!?

1956 Ford F-100
289, Holley, Edlebrock.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:16 PM
Posting Guru

Onus is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
The 8 speed transmission is designed by zf, just as the 6 speed the f150 current used is also designed by zf. But both manufacture them themselves.
1990 F-250HD 2wd 7.3idi e4od 3.55s. Custom 360k 'The Carpathia' Daily driver.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:18 PM
Posting Guru

NASSTY has a great reputation on FTE.NASSTY has a great reputation on FTE.NASSTY has a great reputation on FTE.NASSTY has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by honestcharlie56 View Post
I wanna know how many people that have commented in this thread about dodges terrible transmission, have actually rebuilt a dodge transmission?!?!?
You have to rebuild transmissions to know that Dodge has had a terrible track record with transmissions?

92 Bronco
Old 11-20-2012, 06:41 PM
Postmaster

Lead Head has a great reputation on FTE.Lead Head has a great reputation on FTE.Lead Head has a great reputation on FTE.Lead Head has a great reputation on FTE.Lead Head has a great reputation on FTE.Lead Head has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NASSTY View Post
You have to rebuild transmissions to know that Dodge has had a terrible track record with transmissions?
AOD, E4OD, 4R100, A4XN/A4XS/AXOD, A4LD, 4R55E/5R55E are just some of Ford's lemons. Let's not even bring up the 6F and 6R teething issues.

Everyone's transmissions had issues at some point or another. Chrysler went through a real bad patch starting with the early 90s to early 2000s, but all of those old designs have pretty much been eliminated.

1987 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 2.9

Needs a lot of work, including some rot on the body, but shes getting there.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:54 PM

LxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant future
This is true ^^ The 5-speed automatic 545RFE is light years ahead of the 4-speed 45RE used two generations of Rams ago. Very low failure rate. The ZF 8-speed will be just as good as the 6-speed used in the current F150.

88 5.0 LX Mustang
63 F100 351W/C6

Old 11-20-2012, 06:57 PM

tseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Head View Post
This is true for any truck or vehicle.
Only the higher trim HFE trim has the start/stop rated at 18/25. The standard 3.6/8spd is rated at 17/25.
The 3.6L/8spd is available in every cab and bed configuration, including 4x4. The HFE Trim model (which includes start/stop) is only available in RCSB.

I'd hope you'd have more faith then that, since their 8 speed is a ZF design, just like the 6 speed in current F-150s.

Incorrect. Fuel economy, horsepower and torque are all rated at 87 Octane. They recommend 89 Octane for optimal performance however.

The V6 starts at $24,000. The base $23,000 engine is a 4.7L V8.
I went through every trim level and cab configuration in the 2013 Ram Build and Price site and the only truck that offers the 3.6L with 8 speed is the Tradesman 4x2 and 4x4.

Perhaps the site needs to be updated as the other trim levels didn't offer or mention a variety of engines / transmissions.

The 3.6L with 8 speed is considered as an upgrade from the 4.7L V-8.

I have no problem with being wrong but you'll have to prove it.
2010 Ford Focus
2004 Expedition XLT 4x2

FTE Guidelines
Old 11-20-2012, 07:45 PM
Junior User

honestcharlie56 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NASSTY View Post
How can you even call it a track record. Dodge had problems with the 47rh/re holding down power with the V10 and the cummins. The 48re had its problems too, but it gets easier to understand when you've had a cummins that made ~900ftlbs to the wheels.

1956 Ford F-100
289, Holley, Edlebrock.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:48 PM
Posting Guru

QwkTrip has a great reputation on FTE.QwkTrip has a great reputation on FTE.QwkTrip has a great reputation on FTE.QwkTrip has a great reputation on FTE.
In my part of the world (rust belt), Dodge Ram has a very poor reputation for bodies that don't last. I will say that for the money you can get a lot nicer interior with cool features. I found the Dodge quite a nice driver - better than Chevy. But at the end of the day the crew cab had a truck bed that was way too short to be useful, the rear floor wasn't flat, and it had the sorriest excuse for 390 HP I've ever felt in my life. For whatever reason the power just isn't getting to the ground the way it should. Not to mention that I'm just not in to the boy racer styling.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:48 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > General > Ford vs The Competition