Sponsored by: Moser

Installing CB radio

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 07:33 PM
budman325
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installing CB radio

Hello, I am installing a CB radio in my 2012 F150, what would be the best way to run the antenna coaxial to the inside of the cab?
Thanks in advance
Forgot to add, installing antenna on the rear bumper!!

Old 11-19-2012, 09:17 PM
tvsjr
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Antenna coax... or coaxial cable... not antenna coax.

Where are you planning to mount the antenna? There is an unused grommet on the driver's side of the firewall if you're doing something up front (although lip mounts are nearly impossible due to the tight tolerances). You can bring coax down the A, B, or C pillars (with proper cable management) if you're doing something on the roof. From the back, the options are a bit more limited.

My personal F150 has 17 antennas on it (not including the AM/FM or the Sirius puck). But I've also got a 4.5" hole cut in the front of the bed and back of the cab, which makes wiring quite a bit easier!

Old 11-20-2012, 12:24 AM
blueovelboy
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tvsjr
Antenna coax... or coaxial cable... not antenna coax.

Where are you planning to mount the antenna? There is an unused grommet on the driver's side of the firewall if you're doing something up front (although lip mounts are nearly impossible due to the tight tolerances). You can bring coax down the A, B, or C pillars (with proper cable management) if you're doing something on the roof. From the back, the options are a bit more limited.

My personal F150 has 17 antennas on it (not including the AM/FM or the Sirius puck). But I've also got a 4.5" hole cut in the front of the bed and back of the cab, which makes wiring quite a bit easier!
17 Holy shiznat you are a ham operator right

Old 11-20-2012, 10:58 AM
jade97
More Turbo
Received 75 Likes on 45 Posts
I ran mine through the rear cab vent (Crew Cab). I left a small downward loop outside, so any water drips down, instead of running into the cab.

I currently have a 3' Firestik with a Stakehole Pocket mount. Eventually, I want to get some type of bumper mount, that I don't have to drill into the visible part of the bumper.

Old 11-20-2012, 02:24 PM
awq134
Elder User
if you remove the rocker panel plastic cover there is a trough for the oem wires to run through.

my super cab had a hole with a rubber plug towards the rear of the cab.

all i did was cut a slit and hole into the plug to make a grommet for the coax cable so it wouldn't chafe on the edge of the metal. I installed some wire loom on the cable that was exposed under the truck to protect it from debris and chafing and fastened it with cable ties where possible. Have had it installed for over a year and no problems yet.

here is the finished product.

Old 11-20-2012, 03:46 PM
stephen.osborne1
Cargo Master
Received 178 Likes on 126 Posts
CBs? Really? I used to have one, but never could reach anyone else. I thought they were gone the way of the Dodo. Ham radio I can see, but CBs seem a bit useless with modern technology.

Old 11-20-2012, 05:08 PM
jade97
More Turbo
Received 75 Likes on 45 Posts
If you're running the hi-way, which I do for work, you get lots of info from the truckers (police, accidents, road conditions, etc).

The only speaking I do on it is to share what milemarker the 'bear' is sitting at.

awq134, I have the same mount, but I was able to get it underneath the bed-cap. I then took a drill to the plastic stakepocket cover for the antenna to stick out.

Old 11-20-2012, 06:41 PM
johnday
Cargo Master
Received 246 Likes on 108 Posts
I got a Little Wilson magnet mount for an antenna, and stuck it just in front the high mount brake light, ran the coax thru the left rear door, [SCAB], and under the plastic thing like the previous poster. I checked it with my SWR meter, and with no adjustment, am at 1.3/1. Ya can't get much better than that. I really don't open the rear doors very much, so I felt safe doing that without crushing the coax.

No, CB's haven't gone the way of the Dodo, only with most 4wheelers. I use my radio daily, but have noticed the "new" generation of drivers don't use them, or likely don't know how. They're too busy staring straight ahead with their mouths hanging open. Nothing but "seat meat"! LOL

Old 11-20-2012, 06:52 PM
awq134
Elder User
Originally Posted by jade97
If you're running the hi-way, which I do for work, you get lots of info from the truckers (police, accidents, road conditions, etc).

The only speaking I do on it is to share what milemarker the 'bear' is sitting at.

awq134, I have the same mount, but I was able to get it underneath the bed-cap. I then took a drill to the plastic stakepocket cover for the antenna to stick out.
that's an ingenious idea... I know i kept the covers for the stake pockets, now i just have to figure out where i put them.

thanks for the idea.

Old 11-22-2012, 02:34 PM
juneau76
Postmaster
Originally Posted by awq134
if you remove the rocker panel plastic cover there is a trough for the oem wires to run through.

my super cab had a hole with a rubber plug towards the rear of the cab.

all i did was cut a slit and hole into the plug to make a grommet for the coax cable so it wouldn't chafe on the edge of the metal. I installed some wire loom on the cable that was exposed under the truck to protect it from debris and chafing and fastened it with cable ties where possible. Have had it installed for over a year and no problems yet.

here is the finished product.
That's a pretty sweet looking setup!

Old 11-22-2012, 02:39 PM
awq134
Elder User
thank you and happy thanksgiving.

Old 11-23-2012, 01:16 AM
blueovelboy
Elder User
hey AWQ134 just where do you get the parts for your install i cant find anything around here so i drive out to the truck stops when i need something.

Old 11-23-2012, 03:03 AM
awq134
Elder User
i bought everything online. I'm not sure what website i used for the actual CB, but for the 3' fire stick antenna, the stake pocket mount, and the 18' coax cable i used amazon.com. I wish i would have put a 4" spring at the base. I have almost tore the antenna off a few times when i try to pull the truck in the garage.

I went to the truck stop as well, but they cater to the truckers mostly. All of the mounting brackets they had were meant to be attached to a semi's mirror so none of them worked.

With the stake pocket mount i wasn't getting a very good ground so a separate bonding wire had to be added.

here is a list of everything i used from amazon.com:

Amazon Amazon

Amazon Amazon

Amazon Amazon

Here is a link to the CB i have. I Know it's not the most powerful radio out there, but it's small, convenient, and easy to remove.

https://www.cobra.com/detail/75-wx-s...aa-weather.cfm

Old 11-23-2012, 03:16 AM
awq134
Elder User
forgot, i also put an external speaker behind the kick panel under the steering wheel. I believe i just got the cheapest one amazon had to offer. it is much clearer than the speaker in the handset.

Old 11-23-2012, 07:11 AM
johnday
Cargo Master
Received 246 Likes on 108 Posts
Have any of you guys used a talk back speaker? They're great!! On a long day you always have someone to talk to!

Quick Reply: Installing CB radio