1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Nik's 97 350 build thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 01:48 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's what my grandpa would have called "makin' her snort"! I suppose it's an old farmer reference to the days when you worked with plow horses.

I'm really glad to hear how well that setup is working for you. Especially since that's where I hope to end up with mine some day! It sounds like you have a very capable rig there that will do just about anything you need it to do.

Old 05-04-2015, 02:19 PM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
That's what my grandpa would have called "makin' her snort"! I suppose it's an old farmer reference to the days when you worked with plow horses.

I'm really glad to hear how well that setup is working for you. Especially since that's where I hope to end up with mine some day! It sounds like you have a very capable rig there that will do just about anything you need it to do.
Yeah she took a beating all right!

From the looks of it you are getting darn close...I spent much longer on the efuel than the turbo install. Its fairly easy, and you made the efuel project happen overnight!

The only other setup for my small sticks that I heard was pretty darn impressive was the BASB from Irate. However for 1375$ for just the turbo I can justify the $580 I paid for the 366... Maybe when I rebuild it some day I might toss in a 360* thrust and billet wheel, but for now its more than I need, and that's running in a bone stock tune. I have tried the 80 tow tune towing the goose, and it got a bit hot. I bet water would have kept it in range, but I have yet to get this chip reburned and traded for an F6... soon that will be next...

I just don't get how some guys are running bigger sticks in an all out race tune towing heavy... If I did that all summer long I'd think the diff and tranny would toast quick. Some day I will make it out to an RRE event and check out those rigs!

Old 05-04-2015, 03:03 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like the truck is working good for you!

Old 05-05-2015, 06:37 AM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Sounds like she's working as intended! What clutch do you have in there?

Old 05-05-2015, 12:33 PM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by tshrager
Sounds like she's working as intended! What clutch do you have in there?
You will laugh at me but its a LUK severe duty clutch. Nothing special. Supposedly a 400hp clutch according to LUK at the time, but this was all speculative. If anything it is similar to an OE clutch. I am very surprised it has lasted near 50k doing what I have done to it. It looked to be in great condition too when I pulled the trans 3k ago, I plan to hopefully get another 50k.

I put it in back when the truck was bone stock. Dual disk organic will be in there next if I can figure out which manufacturer will put together one for the SMF that is in there now. Heard there were some issues from one manufacturer to the next with fitup.

Old 05-05-2015, 08:38 PM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by nossliw
You will laugh at me but its a LUK severe duty clutch. Nothing special. Supposedly a 400hp clutch according to LUK at the time, but this was all speculative. If anything it is similar to an OE clutch. I am very surprised it has lasted near 50k doing what I have done to it. It looked to be in great condition too when I pulled the trans 3k ago, I plan to hopefully get another 50k.

I put it in back when the truck was bone stock. Dual disk organic will be in there next if I can figure out which manufacturer will put together one for the SMF that is in there now. Heard there were some issues from one manufacturer to the next with fitup.
I would say an upgrade to the clutch is in order!

Old 05-11-2015, 01:13 PM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by tshrager
I would say an upgrade to the clutch is in order!
Agreed! I was sure hung up on a dual disk organic, but after seeing the price tags, I’m thinking I will just stick to a single disk organic. 350 HP/800FT/LBS from Valair is more than sufficient for what I’m doing. I’d be hard pressed if this truck makes that with my mods, and it rarely out of a stock tune unless someone deserves it on my tailgate. I drive, commute, tow, all in the stock tune. One more month and I will have the funds for a re-burn from Jody…..

I finally made the decision to get rid of my wife’s horrid Subaru, save a few bucks up and look for a nice 7.3 Excursion, man are they hard to come by!!! On a bad note, due to complications we will be trying for a young guy again….

Old 05-11-2015, 01:44 PM
cowmilker08
Postmaster
On a bad note, due to complications we will be trying for a young guy again….
Sorry to hear that. I'll keep you and your wife in my prayers. I've seen how hard that can be with some of my friends and family.

Old 05-11-2015, 02:55 PM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
That's unfortunate Nik. I hope all works out for you and your wife.

Old 05-11-2015, 05:05 PM
madMatador78
Postmaster
Prayers for your family Nick.

Old 05-11-2015, 07:34 PM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Agreed! I was sure hung up on a dual disk organic, but after seeing the price tags, I’m thinking I will just stick to a single disk organic. 350 HP/800FT/LBS from Valair is more than sufficient for what I’m doing. I’d be hard pressed if this truck makes that with my mods, and it rarely out of a stock tune unless someone deserves it on my tailgate. I drive, commute, tow, all in the stock tune. One more month and I will have the funds for a re-burn from Jody…..

I finally made the decision to get rid of my wife’s horrid Subaru, save a few bucks up and look for a nice 7.3 Excursion, man are they hard to come by!!! On a bad note, due to complications we will be trying for a young guy again….
I think you'd be surprised at your power levels. I love my Kevlar/ceramic. Sucks as a DD, hopefully that will change once I put a motor in my horid Subie. Lol

Sorry to hear of the misfortune. I can't imagine going through that.

Old 05-11-2015, 09:02 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 398 Likes on 269 Posts
Man nick.I'm very sorry to hear that.
Having been down that road myself I feel your pain. You and your wife will be in my prayers.

Old 05-11-2015, 10:41 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Thinking of you guys here too Nik. My daughter in law went through that at this time last year. It is fairly common with first pregnancies. Doesn't make it any easier though. Sorry to hear it bud.

Old 05-12-2015, 07:40 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
I'm really sorry to hear that Nik. Our prayers and thoughts are with you and your wife.

Old 05-12-2015, 08:48 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
Sorry to hear that Nick!

Quick Reply: Nik's 97 350 build thread