Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Electrical Systems/Wiring
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-10-2012, 11:18 AM
Senior User

fordtruck661 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
reverse lights wiring

Hi guys

What Im trying to do it put in 2 led spot light for added backing up light. What i want to do is have them turn on when put into reverse but also have a switch i can use to turn them on when not in reverse. Just need to know what relay I need and if it even can be done.

I was also thinking of just taping into the wiring harness and adding a wire that goes to the spot lights and another wire that goes to a switch that I could turn on and supply power to the light when not in reverse (I know it will light the revers light also) but is it ok to do that?
Old 11-10-2012, 08:07 PM

Franklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant future
I am not sure I would just use a switch to power the reverse lights like they are. This will send voltage up backwards through the back-up circuit, and it may brighten the rear view mirror(which may not be a problem) and maybe some other things that I can't think of.

A diode in the line to the new back-up lights should prevent any back-feeding. I am hoping the LED lights you are looking at are pretty efficient and do not draw much power. If they don't the factory circuit and switch should handle the extra lights. Check this out first though.

Find the reverse wire at the rear, and tap into it. Run the wire from the tap down, and install a diode you can get from Radio Shack. Buy a diode that matches the amp draw of the new lights or is larger. Install the diode inline in the new wire, and then from the diode feed both new lights. Install your switch wire AFTER the diode. Find a place up front to get power(you could use a fuse tap on the reverse fuse if you want power only when the key is in run) and out of the fuse tap run a wire to the switch, and then to the rear.

1989 F250 XLT Diesel
Old 11-10-2012, 11:43 PM
Senior User

fordtruck661 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin2 View Post
I am not sure I would just use a switch to power the reverse lights like they are. This will send voltage up backwards through the back-up circuit, and it may brighten the rear view mirror(which may not be a problem) and maybe some other things that I can't think of.

A diode in the line to the new back-up lights should prevent any back-feeding. I am hoping the LED lights you are looking at are pretty efficient and do not draw much power. If they don't the factory circuit and switch should handle the extra lights. Check this out first though.

Find the reverse wire at the rear, and tap into it. Run the wire from the tap down, and install a diode you can get from Radio Shack. Buy a diode that matches the amp draw of the new lights or is larger. Install the diode inline in the new wire, and then from the diode feed both new lights. Install your switch wire AFTER the diode. Find a place up front to get power(you could use a fuse tap on the reverse fuse if you want power only when the key is in run) and out of the fuse tap run a wire to the switch, and then to the rear.

Ok that sounds like exactly like what I want to do. here are the light I got Round 18W Flood LED Work Light Lamp 12V24V Jeep Truck Boat Waterproof | eBay so I should get this diode 3-Amp Diodes : Diodes | RadioShack.com Right?

Thanks
Old 11-11-2012, 08:10 AM

Franklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant future
18w divided by 12v equals 1.5 amps. Yes, that diode should do fine, with 2 lights you will be at 3 amps.

1989 F250 XLT Diesel
Old 11-12-2012, 03:11 AM
Postmaster

joshofalltrades has a good reputation on FTE.joshofalltrades has a good reputation on FTE.
the diode is good, or a relay is just as good. i just happen to always have a pile of relays laying around, so thats what i think of first, though the diode sounds simpler this time.
using a standard 5 pin relay, the best thing to do would be to run a fused hot wire to your relay, and connect it BOTH to one side of the control circuit and to the NO (normally open) terminal. tap into the factory reverse lights, and run that wire to the NC (normally closed) terminal. run the lights to the common terminal. and run a wire from the other control terminal to your switch, and the other side of your switch to a local ground.
google will get you a diagram of the relay, its easier than me trying to describe a picture with a thousand words

or the diode that you posted above will be just fine too. its either diode or relay
Old 11-12-2012, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshofalltrades View Post
the diode is good, or a relay is just as good. i just happen to always have a pile of relays laying around, so thats what i think of first, though the diode sounds simpler this time.
using a standard 5 pin relay, the best thing to do would be to run a fused hot wire to your relay, and connect it BOTH to one side of the control circuit and to the NO (normally open) terminal. tap into the factory reverse lights, and run that wire to the NC (normally closed) terminal. run the lights to the common terminal. and run a wire from the other control terminal to your switch, and the other side of your switch to a local ground.
google will get you a diagram of the relay, its easier than me trying to describe a picture with a thousand words

or the diode that you posted above will be just fine too. its either diode or relay
The above might be the better way if you want your manual switch to only turn on the new lights and not the truck's lights also. Just seal the relay up good if you mount it at the bumper area.

1989 F250 XLT Diesel
Old 11-12-2012, 07:41 AM