Sponsored by: Moser

Gonna paint my f100, am I ready?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 09:16 PM
LITTLE BLACK TRUCK
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gonna paint my f100, am I ready?

Im getting ready to paint my f100 in the spring and Ive been practicing. Here is my latest test fender. Let me know what ya guys think, and if you have any tips. I think I did fairly well for just picking up a paint gun a week ago!

Old 11-04-2012, 10:41 PM
nine inch rear
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks good from here! Is that single stage or base/clear? Please use the proper respirator set up. You only get one set of lungs. I just had my painter do my truck. He took the hood off since it was easier to get nice coverage. Then he did the top of the cab. Once that was dry, he masked it off, and did the rest of the truck. It helped him because he didnt have to clamor all over a truck with wet panels.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:55 AM
Blackfoot Big Block
Tuned
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Totally agree on using a quality respirator...

I would also suggest not "cheaping out" on the paint. I believe that when it comes to automotive paint you do get what you pay for. The better paints cost more but they have more solids and they hold up much longer.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:43 PM
LITTLE BLACK TRUCK
Senior User
Im using a 3m resperator I got at KOI, dont like to take risks. The paint im using is just high gloss enamel.

Old 11-05-2012, 09:31 PM
kobaltblue
Elder User
Is that a Tri-Five fender your practicing on!

Old 11-05-2012, 09:49 PM
nine inch rear
Senior User
Originally Posted by Blackfoot Big Block
Totally agree on using a quality respirator...

I would also suggest not "cheaping out" on the paint. I believe that when it comes to automotive paint you do get what you pay for. The better paints cost more but they have more solids and they hold up much longer.
Agreed..the single stage my painter used was about 250 a gallon, plus sealer. He said wax it few times a year, and it should last years and years. Im sure you guys can get better paint and cheaper than we can in california.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:00 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by LITTLE BLACK TRUCK
Im using a 3m resperator I got at KOI, dont like to take risks. The paint im using is just high gloss enamel.
... like Rustoleum???

Tips:
  • Attach a ground wire to the body and chassis to discharge static electricity.
  • Tack cloths... use 'em!
  • Shoot the color on the panels as they will be positioned on the car/truck. Very important with metallics.
  • Do a dry run to determine the sequence. Do the jambs first.... And you don't want to be shooting the roof after shooting the doors.
  • Mask, mask, mask! Use quality masking tape and masking paper. Do not use newspaper... it will bleed and also shed dust.
  • I use box fans with 3M furnace filters to vent the overspray. Mount them low to the ground.
  • Turn off all ignition sources - especially if ya got a a water heater in the garage.
  • Disconnect the vehicle's battery.. ya don't want a windshield wiper operating and screwing up the masking job.

Old 11-06-2012, 10:47 AM
LITTLE BLACK TRUCK
Senior User
Originally Posted by HIO Silver
... like Rustoleum???

Tips:
  • Attach a ground wire to the body and chassis to discharge static electricity.
  • Tack cloths... use 'em!
  • Shoot the color on the panels as they will be positioned on the car/truck. Very important with metallics.
  • Do a dry run to determine the sequence. Do the jambs first.... And you don't want to be shooting the roof after shooting the doors.
  • Mask, mask, mask! Use quality masking tape and masking paper. Do not use newspaper... it will bleed and also shed dust.
  • I use box fans with 3M furnace filters to vent the overspray. Mount them low to the ground.
  • Turn off all ignition sources - especially if ya got a a water heater in the garage.
  • Disconnect the vehicle's battery.. ya don't want a windshield wiper operating and screwing up the masking job.
Thanks silver. The paint brand I'm using is Majic truck, tractor and implement paint.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:14 PM
71BlueBoy
New User
looks good from here, but what do I know I am not a painter I just sell the stuff.

Old 11-08-2012, 11:25 PM
LITTLE BLACK TRUCK
Senior User
Originally Posted by kobaltblue
Is that a Tri-Five fender your practicing on!
Yes it is, im also gonna practice on a 55 chevy quarter panel. I had some extra parts from building my 55 chevy gasser. Please dont flame me for posting this pic. I like Chevys and Fords, hate dodges though.

Old 11-08-2012, 11:27 PM
LITTLE BLACK TRUCK
Senior User
Originally Posted by 71BlueBoy
looks good from here, but what do I know I am not a painter I just sell the stuff.
Do I detect some sarcasm in your text? What brand paint do you sell and how cheap is it?

Old 11-08-2012, 11:31 PM
71BlueBoy
New User
I work for Akzo Nobel we have a number of auto lines like Sikkens. It's not cheap I know that. I am a commercial rep and sell architectural coatings. I am meeting the auto rep to arrow to get the skinny. I don't know jack when it comes to auto paint but the chemicals in it can be much like industrial. So I'm in for a learning experience myself. I just don't want to blow all my budget on a 5-6k paint job. Nice chev though. I am def not a dodge fan either but can appreciate some Chevys.

Old 11-08-2012, 11:36 PM
LITTLE BLACK TRUCK
Senior User
I work for Akzo Nobel we have a number of auto lines like Sikkens. It's not cheap I know that. I am a commercial rep and sell architectural coatings. I am meeting the auto rep to arrow to get the skinny. I don't know jack when it comes to auto paint but the chemicals in it can be much like industrial. So I'm in for a learning experience myself. I just don't want to blow all my budget on a 5-6k paint job. Nice chev though. I am def not a dodge fan either but can appreciate some Chevys.
From what ive seen from this tractor paint is if ya keep it waxed it wont fade, my buddy painted a ford tractor about 6 years ago and it hasnt faded a bit. Also this paint is tough as nails. so if your truck is a work truck like my ford and you want it to look purdy for cheap I would reccomend using the tractor paint. Heres a pic of my ford while im at it.

Old 11-08-2012, 11:44 PM
71BlueBoy
New User
I can get the paint at a discount so that's a start, I am hoping a guy I know can do the paint for an inexpensive price. We shall see. I am trying to get her looking nice. I have pics posted on my profile. I can post on my iPad for some reason.

Old 11-08-2012, 11:50 PM
LITTLE BLACK TRUCK
Senior User
I can get the paint at a discount so that's a start, I am hoping a guy I know can do the paint for an inexpensive price. We shall see. I am trying to get her looking nice. I have pics posted on my profile. I can post on my iPad for some reason.
Your truck dont look bad! Looks like the same color im practiceing with!

Quick Reply: Gonna paint my f100, am I ready?