1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Upgrading original suspension

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 12:48 PM
celtic11
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Upgrading original suspension

It seems as there is no end to the things one can read about suspension, steering, and front end options regarding my 1952 F1. My question is this: seeing as how this is my first task of this sort, I would rather not get into putting a new front clip into my truck...so, what are the best options for keeping the original axle yet making the ride, steering, and breaking the best that it can be?

Old 11-07-2012, 12:59 PM
coopdagook
Senior User
Other than replacing all the usual suspects like bushings, kingpins, and ball joints, I installed a steering damper. This help my truck out a lot and was really easy to install.

Old 11-07-2012, 02:42 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You'l probably be in it for about $1k (or less) if you rebuild the front suspension and steering yourself. It's not hard to do.

Old 11-07-2012, 02:55 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My truck was my first project so I totally understand where your at, My front end was totaly worn out even one of the springs was broken off so I had to replace or rebuild all the parts that wear. I Had someone do the king pins because at that point I had no confidence, then I replaced the springs bushings and pins,the tie rod and ends,replaced the steering dampner, rebuilt the drag link, replaced the Pitman arm, replaced the ball on the steering spindel link. after that I rebuilt the steering box and in my case I also peplaced the steering collum because it wasnt not stock, and the stock steering wheel does help with steering. After replaceing parts I checked the camber angel as sugested, and adjusted the toe in, all easy. Im a novice and with some research, a repair manule and the help of the folks here on FTE there was nothing I found hard to do. Im very happy with how the truck handels and rides. Does it drive like a new truck, absolutly not but it does drive like it did when it was manufacturd, and thats what I wanted. Good luck with your projectand remember ,just take your time, Get a repair manule, do research and ask questions in that order. These old trucks are very basic, Farmers used to fix em alot they didnt have the $$ to run to a dealership. Also if you havent already Id order catalogs from all the vendors like Clsassic Haulers, Macs, Sacramento Vintage ford, Blue Oval, SpeedWay Motors, ect.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:03 AM
celtic11
Freshman User
Where did you get your repair manual? do they sell a kit for rebuilding the front end?

Also, maybe this is a silly question but my truck only has leaf springs and shocks...no coil springs. I guess i just assumed that it would have coil springs on it. am i wrong or has someone taken those off?

Old 11-12-2012, 09:12 AM
South of BC
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Shop manuals can be found on eBay or most any of the vendors Jimmy mentioned. You can get them on CDROM or print. Another valuable tool is the Master Parts Catalog. You can get that here: 1948-56 Ford Truck Master Parts Catalog CD - HiPo Parts Garage

Old 11-12-2012, 09:29 AM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by celtic11
Where did you get your repair manual? do they sell a kit for rebuilding the front end?

Also, maybe this is a silly question but my truck only has leaf springs and shocks...no coil springs. I guess i just assumed that it would have coil springs on it. am i wrong or has someone taken those off?
They never had any coil springs. You can remove a couple of the shorter leaves from each spring to improve the ride. Disc brake conversions are available if you want them, my drums seem to work fine for me.....

Old 11-12-2012, 01:38 PM
dmack91
Elder User
I don't know of anyone that offers a rebuild kit for the entire front end, but all the parts can be purchased separately. Get the LMC and Classic Haulers catalogs. They have great exploded diagrams of most systems on the truck.

Ford Truck Parts and Truck Accessories from LMCTruck.com

Classic Haulers F-1 Parts - Catalog Request

Speedway Motors has a front disc conversion kit for $279 and Ilya posted a code for almost free shipping a week or so ago. I have the kit waiting to go, as well as a kingpin kit (both from speedway). Going to get the shackle bushing kit and do the whole thing this winter. They will also send you a free catalog - not much for our trucks, but the disc kit was the cheapest I found and the code saved me $80 in shipping.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-shipping.html

Old 11-13-2012, 07:48 AM
celtic11
Freshman User
can someone make some recommendations on good shocks and where to get them?

Old 11-13-2012, 08:09 AM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Celtic,
Welcome aboard! There are a lot of Kentucky members on here as well.
We went the other route & took our truck apart & put in an after market Mustang II style front suspension. I like your route better! It was pretty major surgery including cutting into the frame & lot's of welding & we were down for a long time.

Good luck over there! (You might want to take another stab at your Garage pic on here - it's upside down).

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Old 11-13-2012, 09:57 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Send AXracer a note. He's running a straight axle and knows quite a lot about shocks. He can probably help you out...

Old 11-14-2012, 08:53 PM
Carolina 52
Senior User
Originally Posted by celtic11
can someone make some recommendations on good shocks and where to get them?
Read through this thread. I think it will give you an idea.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...od-shocks.html

Old 11-14-2012, 09:51 PM
celtic11
Freshman User
Thanks for the input guys. I am learning as I go with this topic.

Ben, I noticed the pic...let's just hope I don't make the same mistake with the shocks.

Old 11-14-2012, 09:54 PM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Celtic,
You seem to have settled on new shocks as the solution.
Can you outline what sort of problem you are having with the front end of your truck? I do like that flat black look... Unfortunately we couldn't go that route - just too much heat here.

Ben in Austin
1950 F1 351W/AOD

Old 11-14-2012, 10:08 PM
celtic11
Freshman User
Ben, I would take a little more heat up here. As far as the front end...i just bought the truck and have plans to overhaul it. as is, the ride is very rough and steering is wild. Most of the parts on the truck are just wore out. I dont look to make major changes just replacing old parts with new. Steering components show major wear and the shocks are shocked out. I have kind of always wanted to do a truck over from the bottom up and I love learning about this vehicle...right now it is hard to keep my mind focused on work.

Quick Reply: Upgrading original suspension