6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Instructions to swap in head studs 1 by 1 ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 04:13 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Instructions to swap in head studs 1 by 1 ?

Well I had quite a scare a while back, I thought I toasted my HG's.
The cooling system on these things is insane how touchy it is.
After getting if flushed a few times, cleaned, and several attempts to get the right fluid level, it's finally good.

For a few months now, it is sitting at the same cold spot level, and several attempts have been made to cause it to puke coolant, and it won't. It holds 40 psi of boost up giant hills and stuff, level remains the same.

So I am contemplating swapping out the stock bolts for aftermarket head studs. It seems nothing is wrong with the HG, so theres really no point in pulling everything apart.

I am wondering if anyone here has done this, and what instructions did they use?
I suppose would be a good time to delete EGR, and air intake elbow?
Any intake elbows that will work with stock airbox?

Old 11-07-2012, 06:51 AM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,392 Likes on 2,089 Posts
It has been done on the 6.0L, did the guys report back long term, nope. Or they were to proud to really give a result if the idea did fail. Best method is to pull the head, check for flatness, then install new gaskets and studs.

Old 11-07-2012, 07:05 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,418 Likes on 1,013 Posts
I would leave well enough alone. If it isn't broke....don't fix it.

Old 11-07-2012, 08:00 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Maxium4x4
It has been done on the 6.0L, did the guys report back long term, nope. Or they were to proud to really give a result if the idea did fail. Best method is to pull the head, check for flatness, then install new gaskets and studs.
I get where you're going, but like I said, it's been 3-4 months now, not a drop of coolant missing, no cooling system issues. Holds 40 psi of boost many many times, obviously theres nothing going on........

Old 11-07-2012, 08:02 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by senix
I would leave well enough alone. If it isn't broke....don't fix it.
Also, I get what you're saying, I'd like to run a few hotter tunes without worrying.

Plus I'm told the studs are reuseable, so even if I had to do a cab off one day, not a total waste.

Old 11-07-2012, 08:08 AM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,392 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Originally Posted by parkland
I'd like to run a few hotter tunes without worrying.

Got bit by the Power Bug did ya? The stock bolts should be fine until you add more and then a little more. I am with Senix, leave it alone but I am not saying one by one will not work. Expect the unexpected.

Old 11-07-2012, 08:43 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Maxium4x4
Got bit by the Power Bug did ya? The stock bolts should be fine until you add more and then a little more. I am with Senix, leave it alone but I am not saying one by one will not work. Expect the unexpected.
I don't really have the power bug at all,

The bigger tunes just drive nice and get good mileage.
They also have no safety built into them, so you could easily blow you're HG just passing a car.
I'm pretty sure I stretched my head bolts, a while back it was puking, and that wast on the 275 tune.

I talked with several people now, and it seems to be it it's holding together on the 150 HP tune, not exceeding 40 lbs of boost. The consensus goes that the bolts are stretched a touch, and the HG's should be fine.

This makes sense, like I said, it's been months now, not a drop of coolant gone.

On the bigger tunes, the 6.4 turbo's are small enough that even with the VVT opened right up (not trying to boost), the turbo's can run away up to 60 lbs, and that is HG killing boost on these.

I never drove it that hard, and I fixed it quick, so I don't think anything is wrong except the TTY bolts maybe a touch stretched.

Old 11-07-2012, 01:43 PM
bhd
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm in the same exact boat... i de-tuned to 210 and am fine. Ran it real hard, parked, and saw no signs of puking. I'll research, as I'm also going this route.

I've done plenty of head gaskets, and when they are done, they are DONE. I'm not willing to remove/replace the whole top end when i'm clearly not showing signs of warpage, didn't overheat, or the like.

I'll let you know if i find anyting in my searches, and please do the same if nobody volunteers such info here first!~

Old 11-07-2012, 01:57 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by bhd
I'm in the same exact boat... i de-tuned to 210 and am fine. Ran it real hard, parked, and saw no signs of puking. I'll research, as I'm also going this route.

I've done plenty of head gaskets, and when they are done, they are DONE. I'm not willing to remove/replace the whole top end when i'm clearly not showing signs of warpage, didn't overheat, or the like.

I'll let you know if i find anyting in my searches, and please do the same if nobody volunteers such info here first!~
We'll pull through this together lol

Yeah I see no reason to do extra work, it it's holding with a lower tune, maybe the studs just stretched a touch, no reason to do a cab-off.

Mine hasn't lost a drop in months, and holds 40 psi no problem up big hills, towing etc. I have zero worries about my head gaskets, they're obviously fine.

Old 11-07-2012, 02:26 PM
UGA33
Lead Driver

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts
How many miles are on your truck? If its higher mileage, just do it right. There is a write up on PSN or PSA, can't remember for 1 at a time replacement. In my opinion, just pull the cab and do it right. I have 80k miles on my truck and have run the 275-310 tune as a daily driver the last 15k miles with no issues. Seen 53 psi of boost with no puking.

Old 11-07-2012, 02:28 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Yeah I see no reason to do extra work, it it's holding with a lower tune, maybe the studs just stretched a touch, no reason to do a cab-off.
If you stretched the head bolts then obviously the seal has been compromised. Bite the bullet and do it the right way.

Old 11-07-2012, 02:47 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Old 11-07-2012, 02:49 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by MisterCMK
If you stretched the head bolts then obviously the seal has been compromised. Bite the bullet and do it the right way.
Maybe I'm just having trouble wrapping my head around it....

What could be wrong with head gaskets that hold a +150 tune with 40 PSI ?

Old 11-07-2012, 07:15 PM
UGA33
Lead Driver

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts
Maybe I'm just having trouble wrapping my head around it....

What could be wrong with head gaskets that hold a +150 tune with 40 PSI ?
150hp tunes are 50-60hp less than most tuners "tow" tunes. Put the big tunes on it and see how she does. That will let you know quick.

Old 11-07-2012, 09:12 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by UGA33
150hp tunes are 50-60hp less than most tuners "tow" tunes. Put the big tunes on it and see how she does. That will let you know quick.
I did, now that the coolant system is sitting at the right spot, and everything is cleaned out, even the big tunes won't do anything, although I intentionally did not boost past 40 PSI.

I would not be surprised if the thing puked running the 275 or 310 again, and pegging the boost to 60 lbs, I think 1 or a few of the head bolts might be stretched, but I doubt the HG's are toast as it's held on this long.... my train of thinking, anyways.

Quick Reply: Instructions to swap in head studs 1 by 1 ?