2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

slow!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 12:11 PM
unreal72
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
slow!!!!!!!!!!

Got my 07 el limited up to 55 today.....open stretch of back road....whats the fastest you've had your expy?

Old 05-21-2010, 12:16 PM
gaffer222
Freshman User
75, no reason for me to go any faster!

Old 05-21-2010, 12:33 PM
berry1234
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Taking a 6,000 pound SUV with a high center of gravity up to high speeds is not smart. Nothing to brag about for sure.

Old 05-21-2010, 05:39 PM
gddyup
Senior User
I've seen just about 100mph in my 07 Limited EL.... by myself with no traffic on the interstate. I'll bet the speed limiter was not far behind where I was..... if the Expy has one. Maybe some day I'll roll the dice...

Old 05-21-2010, 06:22 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
70 mph to pass someone

hauling *** in my car is one thing with it's ZR rated tires and tuned suspension...but in an Expy? really?

Old 05-21-2010, 06:25 PM
berry1234
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tylus
70 mph to pass someone

hauling *** in my car is one thing with it's ZR rated tires and tuned suspension...but in an Expy? really?
Exactly. The beast is hard to manage in a emergency situation at 60mph. I can't imagine at 100.

Old 05-21-2010, 08:56 PM
Boomer1956
Cross-Country
07 El Limited,,, 85 w/cruise control.... No higher

Old 05-22-2010, 10:16 AM
CarbonClear
Senior User
Originally Posted by unreal72
Got my 07 el limited up 100 today.....open stretch of back road....whats the fastest you've had your expy?
280mph........sitting on a train........but who really cares.....its a truck......

The thing drives like a boat, does not handle and if for any reason you had to do an emergency maneuver. You would probably injure yourself or others.

Want to go fast....take it to the track!

Old 05-22-2010, 10:34 AM
scholzee
Senior User
1) Why does the speedometer go up to 100 mph ?
2) Ford could easily program a speed limiter in it if they felt it was unsafe at 100.
3) Many magizines test vehicles closed course up to 100 mph, why would they risk their safety?
4) Law enforenent, Border patrol, and Fire companies use big SUV's at high speeds in my area all the time.

Here is a story of a "Trained professional"

The tragic story is that the NY State Trooper was chasing a racing bike through rural and village type areas at over 100MPH in a Tahoe.

The charges are 2nd degree manslaughter and reckless homocide. The biker claims he didn't know he was being chased. That is disputed.

Should SUVs be allowed to enter hi-speed chases? Is there some culpability on the part of the NYS police policy?

This man could have been alive if there was a better understanding of SUV limitation. Scofflaws should not lead to Trooper deaths.

Given the circumstances, I think a manslaughter charge is reasonable. The biker could have killed pedestrians or toher motorists and has partial responsibility for the Trooper's death.

Read more: Trooper dies chasing racing bike in SUV. Is this murder ? - Motor Trend The General Forum Forum

Old 05-22-2010, 12:20 PM
HBO1
Junior User
Originally Posted by scholzee
2) Ford could easily program a speed limiter in it if they felt it was unsafe at 100.
3) Many magizines test vehicles closed course up to 100 mph, why would they risk their safety?
4) Law enforenent, Border patrol, and Fire companies use big SUV's at high speeds in my area all the time.

The tragic story is that the NY State Trooper was chasing a racing bike through rural and village type areas at over 100MPH in a Tahoe.

The charges are 2nd degree manslaughter and reckless homocide. The biker claims he didn't know he was being chased. That is disputed.

Should SUVs be allowed to enter hi-speed chases? Is there some culpability on the part of the NYS police policy?

This man could have been alive if there was a better understanding of SUV limitation. Scofflaws should not lead to Trooper deaths.

Given the circumstances, I think a manslaughter charge is reasonable. The biker could have killed pedestrians or toher motorists and has partial responsibility for the Trooper's death.

Read more: Trooper dies chasing racing bike in SUV. Is this murder ? - Motor Trend The General Forum Forum

1. Probably marketing more than anything. Are there still highways in Montana with no speed limit? What if an Expy was sold overseas? Used to be, at least I remember my cars in the '80's, where the speedometer went to 85. That didn't last long.

2. I'd take a guess and say the Expy is limited to 100 mph. I know my F250 is (or was anyway). My BMW 540i is limited to 129 mph, while a 6-speed and/or sport model is limited to 155. Why don't they limit it to a "maximum" LEGAL mph? Well, who's maximum legal mph? Where? Also, I believe it's a safety hazard to have it limited so low. Recommended to drive at 100? No, Ford won't recommend it but it's available in an emergency. There is something called personal responsibility and also reckless negligence.

3. Magazine test drivers are supposed to be professionals, they get paid to take the risk and it's on a closed course, therefore not endangering the public at large.

4. Again, emergency situations require higher risk.

Yes, the motorcycle rider was, at minimum, guilty of reckless endangerment. Officer killed, yes he has some degree of culpibility. I think negligent homicide would be a fair charge. There was a chase many years ago in California where a helicopter involved in the chase had crashed. Killed the pilot, perhaps the passenger too, don't remember. Man chased was charged with murder. I didn't agree with that. While it did happen while he was being chased, the crash was 100% pilot error. It was a helicopter and certainly not anywhere near exceeding the aircraft's capabilities. Different story with the cop in an SUV trying to keep the public safe.

Anyway, good questions and the answers are strictly my opinions only.....

Old 05-22-2010, 02:47 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
speed limit combines several factors.

stability at speed
tire speed rating
driveshaft speed balance

3 biggest I can think of right now. From the factory, Ford doesn't give trucks/SUV's high speed rated tires, and the driveshafts are only balanced to about 100 mph. These vehicles are nice to drive, but lets face it. Their suspensions are soft and wallowy. A slight twitch of the steering wheel at speed results in a huge amount of body play. Get that sucker rocking at 80+ mph and you have to make more corrections. Eventually you reach the point where loss of control happens and crash.

Old 05-22-2010, 04:31 PM
Boomer1956
Cross-Country
07 El Limited.. Pirellies on mine say 112 S. Pretty high for this large of a truck. Yet my personal opinion is the higher the speed rating the softer the tire for better grip, that is why this monster rides so great.

Old 05-23-2010, 04:22 AM
scott alvarez
New User
Well I have a 2002 Ford F250 With a SCT programer in it and I have been 120 mph in it comfortable. No swaying No Scary anything road like a champ. It is on 37 inch Toyo Mud tires. with 3:73 Gear ratio.

Old 05-23-2010, 08:40 AM
KSCRUDE
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by scholzee

Troopers death is a shame but was caused by his own stupidity, and has nothing to do with the type of vehicle he was driving. Cops need to know there is a time and place for high speed chases, so not to endanger themselves and the general public.

Old 05-23-2010, 08:47 AM
KSCRUDE
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Getting back to the ops original topic i think a100 is about it for the wifes 07 expy and also for my V10 SD. GM says the top speed of my 08 C6 vette is 190 but at 150 i had seen enough. I guess i am getting old.

Quick Reply: slow!!!!!!!!!!