1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Thunder and Lighting - Start your engines!

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 06:56 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Thunder and Lighting - Start your engines!

I had an idea. With the ability to link to YouTube, many people have posted vids of things not working right on their trucks. This allows the Brotherhood to assist in troubleshooting, but it doesn't demonstrate what a healthy truck does by comparison. Many people are driving hurting trucks, but they don't realize it. To address this, why not have a collection of healthy truck vids for people to compare? Random vids could overload a thread, so these could be posted in themes - for example:
  • Engine starts and idle
  • Different stages of injectors at WOT
  • Cruising sounds
  • Buzz tests with camera microphone centered over the engine
  • Cab sound levels with different intake/turbo combinations
Here's the rub - nobody has the same sound quality and level in their sound recording device. Some microphones can't even capture the sound of a turbo out the exhaust because of noise-suppression circuitry, quality of the microphone, or a thumb over the microphone. To compensate for some of these issues, we would need a reference sound to compare with whatever the subject is. I made a vid with sound and used a lighter as a reference... "sparking" some controversy, but I still think it's a common/cheap reference that everybody is familiar with. There could be a beneficial byproduct from this - you post a vid of your healthy-to-you truck, and a brother might catch something you didn't notice before. I've seen this happen many times. You could then address an issue you didn't even know you had. We could call the vid collection "Thunder and Lighting". I'll "Start":

http://youtu.be/KbZIlaP11YM

Old 11-03-2012, 08:13 AM
UP_There
Lead Driver
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Here is the only vid I ever made....the sound ain't bad for a cell phone. This is the 140 smoke tune, now known as Aggressive

Old 11-03-2012, 12:59 PM
2000ca250
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rich I like the idea...I might have to have you help me record a bit. Of course I'm still in the process of dialing in my engine

Old 11-03-2012, 05:28 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,897 Likes on 1,145 Posts
Here ya go. I even used the obligatory lighter for reference...

Taken with a Go Pro - not known for the best sound quality. This is a cold start at about 70*F - EOT was about 50*F. Truck has not been started or driven for over 30 days. It has fuel in the coolant and I'm toooo broke to fix it right now..........

I tried to capture gauges and meant to scroll through the other parameters on Scangauge, but fergot.

Click img for video:

This engine has always been louder than my original engine - dunno why, but suspect its due to higher compression and TIGHT valve springs. Of course, it was A LOT louder than this with my old toons. I really noticed it sitting next to the all-stock Excursion which was almost whisper-quiet with current tuning.

You can sure hear that 38R start to sing, even just revving it a little in neutral!!!

I'm gonna drive it tomorow. I hate to w/cracked injector cups, but I have to go collect over 250gals of WVO - my bins are all almost full and my restaurants are getting nervous since I haven't collected for a few weeks!! If someone wants to see a video of something specific - lemme know.

Old 11-03-2012, 05:41 PM
dn29626
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Lighting or Lightning?

Old 11-03-2012, 06:56 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Originally Posted by dn29626
Lighting or Lightning?
He meant lighting... Silly fella posted a video of his truck awhile back and kept flicking his bic in it. We gave him a hard time - well, mostly because he is Tugly and he named his truck 'Stinky'....... But, I s'pose the lighter makes a good reference noise so it makes sense.

Old 11-03-2012, 08:27 PM
KelVarnson
Fleet Mechanic

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
Great thread idea!

I just made a high-quality stereo recording of my engine running, but it looks like FTE won't allow that wav or mp3 files. Any suggestions on how to present an mp3 or wav file here? TIA

Old 11-03-2012, 08:32 PM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
More comparisons....plenty o' lighter.

Been a couple weeks since I started my truck last also swapped injectors then and only have about 15 miles on them since the swap, but comparisons anyway.

EOT is 53F IAT is 55F. In 100 Daily Driver, which is practically where it always stays. I also realized it seemed noisy, found some oil in my ICP so probably getting a biased reading causing some noise, but here it is for comparison sake.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/e-5OUunT8Fg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

After warmup here's a little revving in park.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xYj9fQW2Zag" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And a quick normal throttle drive as normal as I can with a broke trans.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/eXCutn6KgQA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Little noisy still, since I haven't got to really "work" the air out of the system since swapping injectors.

Old 11-03-2012, 09:00 PM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by KelVarnson
Great thread idea!

I just made a high-quality stereo recording of my engine running, but it looks like FTE won't allow that wav or mp3 files. Any suggestions on how to present an mp3 or wav file here? TIA
Youtube or photbucket accounts, with direct links, or embedded code are the easiest IMO.

Old 11-03-2012, 10:48 PM
KelVarnson
Fleet Mechanic

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
You know, after I saw/heard the quality of yours, not much point really. Plus, I forgot to take a lighter along.

Thanks.

Old 11-04-2012, 12:31 AM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Well, I have a whole library of videos I could post, but here are just a couple relevant ones.

This one is to show how my exhaust sounds in different conditions, but does a good job of laying down "baseline" driving sounds.

And under the valve covers!

Sorry, they are all prerecorded so I cant go back and add the lighter, but neat idea. Thats why movie sets use those clapper boards (called a slate). It's so the editor can normalize and synchronize the film from the various cameras.

I too have posted videos and had people say "You might want to check out XYZ part, it looks/sounds funny." And every body like watching videos

Old 11-04-2012, 09:16 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Fantastic vids, guys! Gotta love all that turbo action. Stinky's back from 2000ca250's fancy new shop and he's in true form now. I need to tweak a couple of things and I'll be making more recordings very soon... including some WOT tests in different tunes. I'm sure many want to hear how I can have a quiet 38R. Keep 'em coming... even if you feel yours doesn't sound "special". Remember, this isn't a contest - it's a collection of healthy-sounding trucks and every vid makes the collection more useful.

Old 11-04-2012, 11:17 AM
ToMang07
Logistics Pro
Received 615 Likes on 383 Posts
Old 11-05-2012, 08:31 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Apparently, if you use the Go Pro with suction-cup mount on the window - all you hear is white noise on the video.............

Maybe I'll drive it one more time with the 38R and 6637 and put the helmet-mount on or hang the camera around my neck. I have leaking injector cups and only drove it yesterday because I HAD to go collect WVO.

The 38R is SOLD and T4/S366 is on the way. I'll change cups and turbo at the same time - but I'd love to have a semi-quantitative way to compare the way these turbos sound inside the cab.

Old 11-05-2012, 11:35 AM
honeydew
Posting Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here is a cold start video I posted last year, air temp was in the 70s. Cameras are transmitting wirelessly to a video terminal which is being filmed by another camera that has the mic. Camera with mic is located on the ground ~3' off the RF corner of the truck. When it goes to hi-idle the RPM is 1200.

The engine runs smoother now than it did as heard in the video. Changes since this video was filmed include: different tuner, FRX swapped for regulated return + bowl delete, different fuel pressure.

Quick Reply: Thunder and Lighting - Start your engines!