Sponsored by:

Emergency tire inflator questions...

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 08:38 PM
IttyBittyX
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Emergency tire inflator questions...

Guys, I just bought new (used) tires Friday and today, I came out of a store only to find a flat tire. Apparently I got a nail or screw in one of them.
As luck would have it, there was a dude almost right next to me who had a small portable compressor and he helped me out

So, my question now is, what are some good options for emergency tire inflation so to speak and is that gooey stuff you can spray into the tires to seal them good or bad for your tires and what are the pros and cons of those?
Will this create a problem when you later go in to have the tire fixed?

What about co2 inflators and how much would it take to pump a 265/75 R16 tire to around 45-55lbs?

As always, links are very helpful.

I've looked at co2 inflators but then, I don't know if they are for bicycle valves or trucks or what?

Thanks

Old 10-31-2012, 09:40 PM
kornfanjoe
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought a Canadian tire jumper kit. It has I think 1,000 cranking amps, can be charged off of 12/120V which is super convenient, has an air compressor and air gauge as well as an led light and USB plug. Very worthwhile and always behind my second row seat!
Never know when you will need a jumpstart or a tire inflation just to limp home, and maybe no-one is around

Old 10-31-2012, 10:14 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by IttyBittyX
Guys, I just bought new (used) tires Friday and today, I came out of a store only to find a flat tire. Apparently I got a nail or screw in one of them.
As luck would have it, there was a dude almost right next to me who had a small portable compressor and he helped me out

So, my question now is, what are some good options for emergency tire inflation so to speak and is that gooey stuff you can spray into the tires to seal them good or bad for your tires and what are the pros and cons of those?
Will this create a problem when you later go in to have the tire fixed?

What about co2 inflators and how much would it take to pump a 265/75 R16 tire to around 45-55lbs?

As always, links are very helpful.

I've looked at co2 inflators but then, I don't know if they are for bicycle valves or trucks or what?

Thanks
The little air pumps made in China and Fix-a-flat work great with the combination of both of them. I always carry both plus my spare. The pump will take it's time but it sure beats having it towed or hitch-hiking! I had to use mine way out in the sticks one time and it pumped it all the way up. It goes a little faster if you can jack it up first and spin the wheel to get the hole at the bottom.

Old 10-31-2012, 10:36 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 931 Likes on 679 Posts
Old 11-01-2012, 12:32 AM
EXv10
Post Fiend
That goes it one better, there's really no need to fear having a flat now days. The women have a hard time with it though. (I knew I shouldn'ta said that)

Old 11-01-2012, 12:33 AM
AMG-SM
Senior User
Fix a Flat or Slime and a ViaAir portable compressor works for me. I forget which model I have but it's one of these:
Amazon Amazon

Old 11-01-2012, 01:03 AM
IttyBittyX
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by EXv10
That goes it one better, there's really no need to fear having a flat now days. The women have a hard time with it though. (I knew I shouldn'ta said that)
Oh no, he didn't...

Old 11-01-2012, 01:06 AM
IttyBittyX
Mountain Pass
Well, I got a jump starter although I lent it to someone and he said it didn't work so gotta look into that but found one that was very highly recommended (as a jump starter at least) which had a compressor and I also found a compressor that was super highly recommended for a little more money.

I don't mind spending a little more for good stuff and hell, I could buy both and keep both in the truck.

As for the tire repair kit, I'm too stupid to follow instructions but I could get a buddy of mine to show me how to do it.

What's the word on the goo stuff that you can spray in the tires together with air and anyone know anything about the co2 kits and how much it takes to fill one of our tires up?

Old 11-01-2012, 01:08 AM
IttyBittyX
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by AMG-SM
Fix a Flat or Slime and a ViaAir portable compressor works for me. I forget which model I have but it's one of these:
Amazon.com: VIAIR 85P Portable Air Compressor: Explore similar items
Link didn't work but it's the same one I found and reviews were awesome.

What's the slime stuff? Sounds like goo but they also have compressors on amazon so wasn't sure if that was it. If it's goo, have you used it and what's the word on that stuff?

Thanks

Old 11-01-2012, 05:04 AM
BigPigDaddy
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have used plenty of Fix-a-flat type stuff (spray can tire sealant) over the years. I have them in each vehicle and have told my wife to use that rather than trying to change a tire on the side of the road. They work just fine for sealing leaks and getting the vehicle back on the road. Tire shops don't particularly like them because the sealant has to be cleaned out of the tire when the tire is dismounted later. I worked in a tire shop and it was not really a big deal. For a 265 or larger tire, you would still need more inflation to get up to full tire pressure. I haven't used CO2 inflators on anything so I can't speak to those.

Old 11-01-2012, 07:58 AM
Treker58
Senior User
Sean what is the name of that tire repair kit. Nice how it is kept organized, better than most out there. Once you open them you have to put all the stuff in a zip-lock

Old 11-01-2012, 09:16 AM
mtnsammy
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I carry a plug kit from AutoZone and one of the battery jump boxes with an air pump in it. Since I started carrying this I haven't had a flat or dead battery. The plug kits are less than $10 and Costco sold mine for under $70. The little pumps are great for one tire but you definitely will not be able to air up 4 large tires after a day off roading without burning up a pump or two. CO2 bottles are real common with Jeeps out here but I am not sure I would want it inside my Ex all the time. One CO2 bottle is good for 8-16 airups.

Old 11-01-2012, 09:36 AM
Jmatthews
is a BAAAD MAN

Originally Posted by wpnaes
That's what I have in my trucks. Used many times, going to the dump often brings home nails/screws etc. Also I have a set of clipper things I can pull them out with. I keep a big truck air pump in the Excursion.

Old 11-01-2012, 09:55 AM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Well, I got a jump starter although I lent it to someone and he said it didn't work so gotta look into that but found one that was very highly recommended (as a jump starter at least) which had a compressor and I also found a compressor that was super highly recommended for a little more money.

I don't mind spending a little more for good stuff and hell, I could buy both and keep both in the truck.

As for the tire repair kit, I'm too stupid to follow instructions but I could get a buddy of mine to show me how to do it.

What's the word on the goo stuff that you can spray in the tires together with air and anyone know anything about the co2 kits and how much it takes to fill one of our tires up?
Those jump starters work on smaller engines. (The ones I have seen anyway). There was a guy at a garage sale selling his because it wouldn't work on his medium size car engine.

Old 11-01-2012, 09:57 AM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Link didn't work but it's the same one I found and reviews were awesome.

What's the slime stuff? Sounds like goo but they also have compressors on amazon so wasn't sure if that was it. If it's goo, have you used it and what's the word on that stuff?

Thanks
Goo it good but fixaflat is easier, then use the pump.

Quick Reply: Emergency tire inflator questions...