6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

2008 6.4 - Headgasket, Squeal & Whistle

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 09:45 PM
ClubDrof
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 6.4 - Headgasket, Squeal & Whistle

I could use some help. I had my HPFP replaced a month ago at 133k miles with 2 separate cab-off repairs, 1 for the HPFP replacement and another cab-off when they found that the HPFP cover was warped and leaking. Since repair I have had 2 new issues and now found what appears to be a head gasket leak, the 3rd issue.

Let me highlight all 3 issues starting with the head gasket concern and please let me know if you have any ideas or thoughts. Ford is stumped!

Headgasket: due to issues 2 & 3 and looking for an exhaust leak I noticed that the driver side block is 'wet' where the head and block join above the manifold (see pic) - faintly outlined with a yellow circle - poor hightlight, sorry. Is this the beginning of a blown head gasket? No other symptoms, puking coolant or lose of coolant or oil, yet.

Whistle: at maximum turbo PSI my truck squeals. The Ford tech that drove with me said it sounds like a post turbo leak but since they cannot replicate maximum PSI in the shop, they do not know where to begin. We have checked all of the boots and can find no soot indicating a leak. I updraded to River City Diesel (RCD) exhaust manifolds and ERG deleted up-pipes. Any ideas or thoughts?

Squeal: This is not occurring at cold startup like many other rigs but after I have coasted (no throttle and in gear) down a grade for 1 minute or more, when I start to get on the pedal it sounds like a loose belt squeal. The Ford tech drove along with me on this one as well and was surprised that it is only happening after coasting downhill. Once I start accelerating the squeal just increases. If I WOT it just screams or if I'm light on the throttle it just quietly squeals for about 30 seconds then disappears. Again, it doesn't make any noise otherwise.

Ford replaced both belts and pulleys and there is no change. They even checked the AC clutch and fan clutch, no difference. Any chance this could be tranny related? They did blow a transmission hose while test driving after repairs and dumped the oil. I don't think the tranny has sounded the same since but I am just questioning whether this squeal is belt related. Any ideas or thoughts?

Old 10-30-2012, 11:23 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,417 Likes on 1,012 Posts
I would get another belt and replace it. At the same time check the pully's but this sounds like a ill fitting belt. Double check the part #'s.

Clean the oil off and watch it. No loss of coolant and no rise it oil...drive the truck.

As for the whistle my guess is ill fitting turbo pipes. They should smoke test it and see if they an visually detect the leak.

Old 10-30-2012, 08:09 PM
ClubDrof
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you Senix,

Originally Posted by senix
I would get another belt and replace it. At the same time check the pully's but this sounds like a ill fitting belt. Double check the part #'s.
I will have Ford replace both belts and check the new pulley's.

Clean the oil off and watch it. No loss of coolant and no rise it oil...drive the truck.
This morning with more inspection I can see the oil is coming from the #4 glow plug gromment where the wiring enters the head. I am wondering is my bedplate gasket replacement and my engine being upside down for a week may have helped this leak along...

My EOT and ECT is within 4.5 degrees of each other at normal highway driving. I'll send an oil sample to Blackstone for analysis next week.

Is this glow plug grommet leak a simple repair?

As for the whistle my guess is ill fitting turbo pipes. They should smoke test it and see if they an visually detect the leak.
Ford did a smoke test and only found and fixed a leak at the CAT/DPF delete pipe. They agree there is a leak coming from the engine compartment but they cannot find it. Do you think the issue is at either end of the RCD up-pipes?

This has been painful spending over $9,000.00 on the last visit. I could have bought a new crate motor with this last year's repair bills.

I appreciate the help!

Old 10-30-2012, 08:47 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,417 Likes on 1,012 Posts
Gromet is an easy fix
Not related to the bedplate repair