1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

OT IDI know it all

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 07:06 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 126 Likes on 104 Posts
OT IDI know it all

Today at dinner with my sister and brother-in-law's we started talking about my water hydrolock ordeal. He has a 89 IDI with a Banks on it. He asked me why I put water injection on it because the turbo waste gate would take care of high EGT's. I said what?, our model trucks don't have a waste gate. He said that they sure do and it would control my high EGT's. I proceeded to tell him again that our trucks do not have a waste gate unless an after market turbo with a waste gate was put on. He said a friend of his has a truck like mine with a waste gate, I said maybe he does but it would have to be an aftermarket turbo. He said it was a stock turbo and all the new powerstrokes (new after IDI's) had waste gates. Well, I bit my tongue long enough, I asked him if he wanted to put a thousand dollars on it and we would go to Fords or where ever and get the FACTS!! At this point my wife was drilling a hole thru me from across the room. He then shut up! I've known him for twenty years plus, 6' 6" tall, three hundred pounds of know it all. He worked on Shell's oil rigs all his life and has all his life bullied his way to what he wants. I've never stood up to him because its basically a waste of time and I would rather keep the family peace. Today I had enough, thank goodness it all stayed friendly but tomorrow I would have gone to the bank and backed up what I said.

Thanks for letting me vent!!

Old 10-28-2012, 07:09 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Waste gate huh?

Awesome,
to bad that even if that was the case it wouldn't control EGT's. hahahahaha.

Old 10-28-2012, 07:30 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My wife's sister's husband is the same way Glenn. He has a 2000 SD 7.3 and he trys to act like he knows something about diesels, which he doesn't. He doesn't know much trucks period. They were here for Cristmas one year and it was snowing pretty hard. They were following us home from my in-laws house, and he said his 4x4 wasn't working right. His truck has the electronic t-case and manual locking hubs (obviously they had been converted from autos, like that when he got it). He said " my 4x4 has an air leak and I have to get out and lock it in manually" I tried to explain to him that there was no air leak and his hubs had been converted to manuals. Then he proceeded to tell me that his truck had both, but the auto-locking part didn't work due to an air line leaking so he had to get out and lock them in manually.... I just said "Oh ok then" and got in my truck and LMFAO!!!!!!!

Old 10-28-2012, 07:49 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 401 Likes on 270 Posts
Hmmm wastegate...egt's....wow...that guy really is clueless...some people just cant help themselves

Old 10-28-2012, 07:52 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
Originally Posted by ReBilld
My wife's sister's husband is the same way Glenn. He has a 2000 SD 7.3 and he trys to act like he knows something about diesels, which he doesn't. He doesn't know much trucks period. They were here for Cristmas one year and it was snowing pretty hard. They were following us home from my in-laws house, and he said his 4x4 wasn't working right. His truck has the electronic t-case and manual locking hubs (obviously they had been converted from autos, like that when he got it). He said " my 4x4 has an air leak and I have to get out and lock it in manually" I tried to explain to him that there was no air leak and his hubs had been converted to manuals. Then he proceeded to tell me that his truck had both, but the auto-locking part didn't work due to an air line leaking so he had to get out and lock them in manually.... I just said "Oh ok then" and got in my truck and LMFAO!!!!!!!
I cannot even lock my drivers side in.
No hub guts. haha.

Old 10-28-2012, 08:29 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Ya Talyn, I felt like saying that when I'm gutten it out in 2nd gear, 3K rpms and about 15lbs of boost, what the heck is a waste gate going to do for me? Sure, if I put my foot on the floor and got 30lbs my motor would be melted down so what good is a few lbs of boost being blown off going to do for me. LOL

Bill, those are the same situations I've been thru for years with this guy and today I wasn't going to let it happen. I did try my hardest to keep it from escalating because he really is a good guy, just over powering at times, LOL.

Your right Aaron, he can't help himself. I would have loved it if he would have bet me. I would have gotten ten 100 dollar bills and put it on his table. Then after winning the bet I would have told him to buy his wife a present. LOL

Don't lock the other side in Talyn!!

Old 10-28-2012, 08:31 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
Originally Posted by oldbird1965
Ya Talyn, I felt like saying that when I'm gutten it out in 2nd gear, 3K rpms and about 15lbs of boost, what the heck is a waste gate going to do for me? Sure, if I put my foot on the floor and got 30lbs my motor would be melted down so what good is a few lbs of boost being blown off going to do for me. LOL

Bill, those are the same situations I've been thru for years with this guy and today I wasn't going to let it happen. I did try my hardest to keep it from escalating because he really is a good guy, just over powering at times, LOL.

Your right Aaron, he can't help himself. I would have loved it if he would have bet me. I would have gotten ten 100 dollar bills and put it on his table. Then after winning the bet I would have told him to buy his wife a present. LOL

Don't lock the other side in Talyn!!

It is quite a shame that a lot of these schmucks are really good people, they just are idiots at the same time.

You can be a good person and still be intelligent, but not smart.

Does that make sense?

People just want to be accepted, so they will make up **** and not back down.
I have a knack for catching it, so its even more fun to go along with their bull**** to see how long till they give up on it and keep making things up or give up on the conversation because they have figured out your egging them on and seeing how long they will go.

I could care less on the front end really, but I need a new front axle, or the drivers side ibeam to replace on mine.

Old 10-28-2012, 09:07 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

What I call "intelligent, but not smart" is people with a high IQ but no common sense!

Old 10-28-2012, 09:44 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
He probably wouldn't have bit at $1000, but I woulda put up $100. And why go to some "authority"? Just pop the hood and tell him he can collect his money when he shows you the wastegate.

Old 10-28-2012, 10:10 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Ya, looking back, you are probably right. I went to big, LOL I mentioned the 'authority' because at that point in the conversation I didn't know if he knew what one looked like. I'm sure he would know what he was looking at because of all the equipment he dealth with on the rigs.

Old 10-28-2012, 11:06 PM
King7765
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love proving people like that wrong.

I have a brother-in-law that is like that.

My friend Chris tried to tell me that my truck has a waste gate also. I told him "no", he didn't believe me. He is a mechanic in the military and works on big diesel vehicles. We started arguing about this topic and I said "Take a few days, research it, think about it and get back to me."

After a few freakin weeks it came back up in convo and he said I was right.

Old 10-29-2012, 12:55 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

At least he said you were right. My brother-in-law will never admit he is wrong about anything. Him shutting up after a thousand dollar bet is the only thing I'll get, LOL. Oh, I still have this hole thru my chest where my wife started a hole thru me like a laser beam!!

Old 10-29-2012, 03:23 AM
stainlessstroker95
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I dont see how people could be like that. It just makes them look stupid. I had to argue with a guy a work cause he was trying to tell me that my truck was 24v cause it has two batterys. He said that it started on 24v then it switched to 12v.

Old 10-29-2012, 05:26 AM
DZL JIM
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 183 Likes on 83 Posts
I have talked with tons of people who think the back pressure valve is a 'waste gate'. Yes, they simply don't know any better.
But you could possibly have avoided the look of death from your wife, had you calmy mentioned "It's the back pressure valve you're thinking of and the waste gates didn't come out till the '99 model year."

But I do know how it is with people like that. I've had my own dealings with people who have never even owned a diesel pick-up, much less a Power Stroke, who would proceed to ague with me straight up on Power Stroke details/specs.
Really?
And they know full well that I have lived and breathed Power Strokes for the past 12 years.

'17 6.7 F-250 KR ccsb 4x4
Old 10-29-2012, 09:33 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Is that a invertor or convertor that does the switching Gabe? LOL

Ohh, back pressure valve, that would have been a good one Jim.

Quick Reply: OT IDI know it all