1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Sway Bar Problems Bolt Dont Fit

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 02:15 PM
wolffee
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Front Sway Bar Problems Bolt Dont Fit

My 04' F-350 SRW 4x4 had bad sway bar end links and main bar bushings. Truck has 130K mi. I purchased new end links and bushings for the main bar and still have a terrible clunk under my feet when the tires hit something uneven. I took down the driver side this afternoon and the end link bushings are great but I did find that the bolt that goes through the bushing and the frame at the top of the endlink is very very loose in the metal bushing. I would say the bolt that is in the end link is 1 whole size to small for the metal bushing thats mounted to the frame. There is a good 1/8-1/16th play or more its def not correct. I cant read the part number off the driver side end link any more but the passenger side is the matching one and it its part number is 1C3Z-5K483-BA. I dont know if ford made different size bolts or if the metal bushing is just worn out. If its worn out is there a part# for that I cant see one on the part. I ordered the Moog endlinks the other day thinking that I had worn out the ford one again. They should be here this week and I will see if the bolt fills the hole better. Untill then I dont know what to do as I dont think the bolt comes out of the end link and even if it did I couldnt put a larger bolt in as it wouldnt go through the endlink bushing. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Ryan

Old 10-28-2012, 03:36 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by wolffee
My 04' F-350 SRW 4x4 had bad sway bar end links and main bar bushings. Truck has 130K mi. I purchased new end links and bushings for the main bar and still have a terrible clunk under my feet when the tires hit something uneven. I took down the driver side this afternoon and the end link bushings are great but I did find that the bolt that goes through the bushing and the frame at the top of the endlink is very very loose in the metal bushing. I would say the bolt that is in the end link is 1 whole size to small for the metal bushing thats mounted to the frame. There is a good 1/8-1/16th play or more its def not correct. I cant read the part number off the driver side end link any more but the passenger side is the matching one and it its part number is 1C3Z-5K483-BA. I dont know if ford made different size bolts or if the metal bushing is just worn out. If its worn out is there a part# for that I cant see one on the part. I ordered the Moog endlinks the other day thinking that I had worn out the ford one again. They should be here this week and I will see if the bolt fills the hole better. Untill then I dont know what to do as I dont think the bolt comes out of the end link and even if it did I couldnt put a larger bolt in as it wouldnt go through the endlink bushing. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Ryan
I just ordered 2 Dorman complete end links from Ebay ($42 total delivered) and I noticed the ones for sale in there usually come with a nut and bolt so it must be an issue. I would take my calipers (or use theirs) to a large hardware store and find a bolt that will fit better. Type "Excursion sway link" into Ebay. My truck has 165K miles and clunks so I didn't even bother to look under there this time, lol.

Old 10-28-2012, 03:44 PM
wolffee
Elder User
A larger bolt would help out alot for going through the bushing thats mounted to the frame but the larger bolt is not going to go through the bushing in the endlink. THe bolt in the end link is in there tight and im sure it could be pressed out but thats not the issue. Once you press out the bolt how are you going to get a larger one through the endlink to go through the frame?

Old 10-28-2012, 06:38 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
A larger bolt would help out alot for going through the bushing thats mounted to the frame but the larger bolt is not going to go through the bushing in the endlink. THe bolt in the end link is in there tight and im sure it could be pressed out but thats not the issue. Once you press out the bolt how are you going to get a larger one through the endlink to go through the frame?
I haven't taken mine apart yet so I can't vision what the problem is but maybe that bolt that comes with it is special. You might do better asking a question on Ebay to one of those sellers. They wouldn't include a new bolt for nothing. Maybe you can wrap something around it also?????

Old 10-28-2012, 08:05 PM
wolffee
Elder User
Yeah I think we are confusing on another maybe. The bolt that came with my ford factory replacement endlink has the bolt at the top and its in there its not going to be comming out easily also yes the holder the piece of steel thats on the frame rail that the bolt goes though could take a bigger bolt and everything would be fine but that ford factory end link with the bolt in it is as big a bolt as you are going to get in it. I thought about a sleeve of sorts around it but its tight I mean you would have to have a metal sleeve thats got a thinkness of MAYBE 1/16th. I am going to call ford tomorrow and maybe there are different once for my year or something. I cant be the only one with this problem of the bolt being to small for the frame mounted bushing. Wrapping something around it MAY help but thats kinda ghetto. I want the correct piece. I could see ford giving me a hassel about this if it was an aftermarket part but its their end link. Now again I do have the moogs coming in a week or so. we will see what they are. If they arent right either I will just return them.

Old 10-28-2012, 08:12 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Buy some regular bolts, washers and nuts for replacements if need be. I use Gr8 (10.9) but Gr5 should suffice. If you need to drill out the bushings sleeve slightly for the larger bolts that is ok but you do not want to remove too much material.

I just bought some greaseable Moog end links for my dads truck from Rock Auto. They have a greaseable ball joint and stud built in so no bolts to deal with. They were not cheap but still cheaper than Motorcraft and since they are greaseable they should last a very long time. They are replacing energy suspension bushings because they make noise despite being lubed several times.

Old 10-29-2012, 05:21 AM
wolffee
Elder User
I wont be drilling it out as there has to be a reason its like this. I do have the greesable Moogs on the way as well I just hope that the bolt is the right size and fills the gap in the spacer on the frame. If not i'm gunna be really pissed. Im curious to hear what Ford has to say when I call this AM. Will post. Thanks again Ryan

Old 10-29-2012, 10:25 AM
EXv10
Post Fiend
I wont be drilling it out as there has to be a reason its like this. I do have the greesable Moogs on the way as well I just hope that the bolt is the right size and fills the gap in the spacer on the frame. If not i'm gunna be really pissed. Im curious to hear what Ford has to say when I call this AM. Will post. Thanks again Ryan
I saw a picture of that bolt and it is thicker near the head (steps up). If you can't get one I would use some JB Weld at that end and let it sit overnight. The Moog links probably have those stepped up bolts coming with it, I would call them instead of Ford. I haven't had mine apart but I am getting the gist of it now. They stepped it up near the head so you wouldn't have to press the whole thing into the frame mounted bushing. You confused me when you said. "bushing in the frame" but I haven't seen yet it either. I knew there was some reason my cheap Dorman links were coming with a bolt.

Old 10-29-2012, 12:34 PM
wolffee
Elder User
Ok well I spoke with Ford and will call Moog next. Accordibg to Ford there is a piece that goes over the bolt to take up the space and it comes with the bolt. He told me what probably happend was when i took my old ones out since i reused the bolts i didnt put it back in. I am not sure i belive that but he sounded very confident. He says he has everything to rebuild in stock. So i will be heading over after work to take a look. I can always return rhe Moogs untill i need them if this is the problem. The bushings in these Ford facotry endlinks i have now are great only 4-5mo old so i might as well use them until they are gone. IF its as sime as he says of buying a new upper endlink bolt and using it with the sleeve. Will let you know.

Old 10-29-2012, 01:31 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Ok well I spoke with Ford and will call Moog next. Accordibg to Ford there is a piece that goes over the bolt to take up the space and it comes with the bolt. He told me what probably happend was when i took my old ones out since i reused the bolts i didnt put it back in. I am not sure i belive that but he sounded very confident. He says he has everything to rebuild in stock. So i will be heading over after work to take a look. I can always return rhe Moogs untill i need them if this is the problem. The bushings in these Ford facotry endlinks i have now are great only 4-5mo old so i might as well use them until they are gone. IF its as sime as he says of buying a new upper endlink bolt and using it with the sleeve. Will let you know.
That bolt either steps up or has a sleeve that steps it up and the purpose is to have it solid in the frame and still be get the link on it. You can buy those bolts.

Old 10-29-2012, 01:47 PM
wolffee
Elder User
Yeah thats basically what it comes down to now Ford claimed there i a special bolt so i will go take a look at what hes got. I will know by looking at it right away if its what I need. I tried to get in touch with moog but couldnt locate a phone number was only able to sed an email so I did. I wont hold my breath on a reply

Old 10-29-2012, 02:14 PM
joe_r_dog
Senior User
check with napa. i think you can get the end links form them, or the rebuild kit with comes with the special bolts, boots, and all bushings and joints needed to rebuild the end links

Old 10-29-2012, 05:14 PM
SteveH-CO
Fleet Mechanic
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
They are replacing energy suspension bushings because they make noise despite being lubed several times.

I think my Energy bushings are clunking, as everything else is tight under there - thanks for mentioning why you picked the Moog solution.

Old 10-29-2012, 05:22 PM
wolffee
Elder User
Well after leaving ford and speaking with a tech there we have cone to the conclusion that the problem is the spacer piece on the frame. Thats the one that has the 2 bolts that bolt from the bottom up. The bolt is not supposed to have play in there as i suspected. Of course not in stock but will have them tomorrow. Will test on their counter woth both pieces the spacer piece and the bolt from the end link. 33$ for each spacer. Not to bad i guess.

Old 10-29-2012, 05:55 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Well after leaving ford and speaking with a tech there we have cone to the conclusion that the problem is the spacer piece on the frame. Thats the one that has the 2 bolts that bolt from the bottom up. The bolt is not supposed to have play in there as i suspected. Of course not in stock but will have them tomorrow. Will test on their counter woth both pieces the spacer piece and the bolt from the end link. 33$ for each spacer. Not to bad i guess.
Hopefully you won't have to buy new spacers. I will be replacing my links in a couple days but it sounds like you might get to the bottom of it by then.

Quick Reply: Front Sway Bar Problems Bolt Dont Fit