1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

DPFE Sensor Location E150??

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 02:40 PM
elga
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DPFE Sensor Location E150??

Hi all, first post here long time reader and search function user.

I have a 1997 e-150 with a V6 and am getting 3 error codes...
P1405 DPFE hose issue
P0171 running lean
P0174 running lean

I think replacing the hoses on the DPFE should fix all the error codes - only one problem:

I have no idea where to look to find the DPFE under the hood. I've done work under the hood on other small autos and motorcycles but the van is foreign to me. I don't mind getting my hands dirty obviously.

I snapped some pics from all over under the hood and have stock pics too..if anyone can provide assistance of where to look for the DPFE and hoses I would greatly appreciate it. Do I have to remove any covers / parts to get to the sensor? It's my understanding that it should be readily accessible..

Also, if you would like to give your input on possible fixes that would be cool too. Need to pass emissions...

#1:
#2:
#3:
#4:
#5:
#6:
#7:

Old 10-19-2012, 02:47 PM
95e150CW
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gonna have to get under the doghouse. The big bulge between the seats unbuckles and can be pulled out to grant you access to the back of the engine and top of the transmission.

Its on the drivers side of the engine.

Old 10-19-2012, 02:58 PM
elga
New User
Awesome - so it's literally on the inside of the van!

Once I get under the doghouse, that's about it then and should grant me easy access to the DPFE sensor right?

I searched and found an explanation of how to get to the doghouse - brilliant. I'll post back if I have any other issues.

Old 10-19-2012, 03:23 PM
95e150CW
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by elga
Awesome - so it's literally on the inside of the van!

Once I get under the doghouse, that's about it then and should grant me easy access to the DPFE sensor right?

I searched and found an explanation of how to get to the doghouse - brilliant. I'll post back if I have any other issues.
Whoa there. You are talking an E-Series. Aint no such thing as 'easy' when working on these bad boys

It will grant you access, usually in a wicked, round about kinda way. I would have to check my service manuals to see exactly where it is and how to get to it.

Old 10-21-2012, 06:45 PM
djbonsu
Junior User
Nice I also have to replace the sensor as I am getting a P0401 code as well on my e250 w/v6. Hoping the sensor will clear my code and idle issues.

Old 10-21-2012, 08:15 PM
pacific350
Junior User
Not sure if the V6 looks the same but use yahoo typing in dpfe sensor location and look at the listing under image results.
Rectangular with two connectors and hoses coming out for the v8 version at least.

Parts PDF
http://www.tomco-inc.com/Catalog/dpfe%2520sensors.pdf

Forum discussion with diagram showing it on V8
1998 Ford E350 DPFE Sensor Location -

Old 10-21-2012, 09:58 PM
elga
New User
Found it! (Kind of...)

Okay, I was ready to replace the hoses and I found that one of the hoses was simply disconnected so I simply re-connected it instead of doing a replacement, see pic below. There still looks to be an issue though, keep reading one after the pic.

Then I noticed the sensor itself looks like it may have been melted through (see the pic below). Am I correct that it has been melted through? If so, how do I get to it to replace the thing? It seems to be in a very difficult spot to get to.

Old 10-22-2012, 01:52 AM
pacific350
Junior User
The term knuckle busting comes to mind. Sometimes instead of a ratchet a breaker bar style of socket wrench twiddling between deep dish or regular socket to find the right fit ends up doing tight jobs.

Old 10-31-2012, 12:45 AM
elga
New User
finally! okay I got the sensor and hoses replaced. HOWEVER...there was just one bolt holding the old one on and the other one was missing. the one bolt that was on there was rusted beyond belief.

So now I need two bolts to secure the DPFE sensor down and have no idea what size bolts to buy. Does anyone have a manual that shows what size the bolts are? I called a ford dealership and they have no idea...

Thanks in advance!

Old 10-31-2012, 02:50 AM
pacific350
Junior User
Sounds like the dealer is fishing for bucks not being helpful. Try a parts store.
Looking at the ford website it appears to show a bracket with studs on it so that nuts hold the part on. Kind of confusing since I could of sworn I saw other pictures of the part bolted on. http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/Pa...-150 Econoline Econoline

I figure the best thing to do is stop by a parts store since they are normally helpful and in the business of helping people working on their own cars instead of being like a dealer trying to get business for their garages repair service department to get mark ups on parts and labor.

You've done a great job of it so far. Keep up the great work.

Old 10-31-2012, 02:59 AM
elga
New User
Thanks, pacific!

Yeah In my van there are two studs with nuts to hold the sensor on. (I misspoke before and called the bolts nuts).

The nuts are what I need replaced and I can't figure out the size. Looking at the diagram you linked, there are two different nuts with different part numbers it appears? All I really need is the nut size and thread pitch, so I'll probably just run to home depot and buy a bunch of different sizes and hope for the best.

Because of the nut that was rusted out I ended up having to just rip the DPFE sensor off with pliers. It was hell getting back there!

Old 10-31-2012, 03:10 AM
pacific350
Junior User
I might be wrong but normally it isn't the fine pitch threads. So getting the size is the main one. A piece of paper or cardboard pushed against the stud end can leave a mark getting you close to what you need in size to match up in the store. I magine it isn't metric sizing. If there are other nuts not too needed try taking them off of what they are on and trying them on the part needing the nut

Old 10-31-2012, 03:13 AM
pacific350
Junior User
replace the scavenged nut after gretting a match for you part of course

Old 11-02-2012, 03:14 PM
elga
New User
And, done!

Fixed the code it was throwing, but I still have the p0171 and p0174 codes. From what I can tell from searching is it's likely a PCV hose that has a vacuum leak in it so now I need to check for that hose as well as other possible leaks.

Now, where would I start to look for the location of this hose that typically gets a leak in it? This damn van is so foreign to me...I've included a pic of the doghouse so if anyone could point me the right direction...

I'm trying my best here to clear up these issues for smog and you've all been a great help so far.

Old 11-03-2012, 12:48 AM
pacific350
Junior User
I think those parts diagrams on fords parts website show the location of the pvc valve. Could be a hose off the valve or maybe even the valve is loose where it attaches.

Quick Reply: DPFE Sensor Location E150??