Sponsored by: DP Tuner

New Tires and No Blinkers

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 09:24 PM
KJNDIVER
Elder User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New Tires and No Blinkers

Had my truck into the local Firestone store today to put on a new set of Transforce LT265/R16. Figured i would go back with the same set that I had just gotten 80k miles out of. Good enough for me, probably would have been more cuz there was tread still left, but my front end got outta whack and they were cupping on the inside causing a bad shimmy. New tires look and ride great.

Now my more perplexing dilemma. After picking it up and driving home i went to put my blinker on and nothing. No light, no blink, no tick tock. Neither left or right. Blinkers were dead. I have since checked every fuse, both under the dash and under the hood and everything is good. Pulled ever relay and reconnected, all looks good. I still have brakes, reverse lights, headlights, interior lights, and radio. Hell, I even have my emergency hazard flashers. yes, the hazard lights work, but not the blinkers. I recently changed the steering wheel, is there something i could have done to cause this? Yes, i did have blinkers immediately after the swap, but not now. Can the switch in the steering column go bad? How much to replace? How much of a P.I.T.A. is it? I need to do something soon as Im pulling a trailer this weekend to deer lease and back thru several little chicken $h!!t towns that would just love to pull me over. Ive checked everything i can think of, Help!!

Old 10-17-2012, 09:32 PM
landmobile
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here are the stop/turn/hazard wiring diagrams for 1999:

Since your hazards still work but no turn signals it could be either the mulit function switch or the flasher relay.

Chris

Old 10-18-2012, 10:17 AM
MTalley
More Turbo

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Did you get an alignment? If so, what are the odds the shop pulled the steering wheel for some reason (I know on a 4x4, there's no need to, just thinking out loud).

Old 10-18-2012, 01:21 PM
kell104
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The switch can go bad in the column but If I were a betting man I would say your turn signal flasher died. There should be two, one for left/right signals, and one for hazards. Try swapping them around and see if you get anything.

Old 10-18-2012, 10:03 PM
KJNDIVER
Elder User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why cant things ever be easy? I thought it was probably just a relay, better to try that first for $10 than the $100+ for the switch. Went to parts store, got the relay the computer said was it, didnt fit. It was physically too big. Went back in the store, looked up another realy, it had some sort of bracket molded to the side of it but it was smaller, didnt fit. Went back in the store and finally found one that would fit. Wouldnt you know it, it was $16, not 10. Oh well.

Went out to truck and tried the new relay in all relay locations, no go, nothing, nada. Damn, guess its the switch. Went back in the store, looked up the switch, which they did not have in the store. however their sister store across town did have one. I paid for it there, but had to drive across town to get it, no problem. Well, problem. Got caught in stand still traffic for over an hour due to a wreck, $*%&$($!!! finally get there and he has to go look for the part and almost didnt find it, i was getting frustrated at this point. Had to fight the traffic on the way out as well. What should have taken 10 min, took 1.5 hrs.

Get home, find video on youtube of how to access the switch. Take dash and steering covers and ignition switch apart. Upon removing the turn signal switch i see where one of the harnesses was loose and just fell off. Then i noticed that one of the tabs to hold it in place was broken off. Had to have been previous owner broke it off for some reason, i have had truck since dec 05 and 200k ago and this was first time i ever got into it that deep. That was likely my problem, loose harness, but decided to change the switch anyway. Put everything back together. Took about 30 min. Would have taken probably 15 min if i could have done it in daytime, darkness sux. Is there anyway to test the switch to see if it still works without reinstalling back into the truck? given the loose harness, i suspect that it may still be good to keep for spare down the road.

Turn signals now work by the way, but dont know if it was the new switch or the loose harness, i suspect loose harness, but wasnt going to put everything back and if didnt work didnt want to do it all over again.

Upon reinstalling my ignition switch, now i get a chime noise even when the key is removed, as if the key is still in the switch. After playing with it i realize that the ignition is now loose and jiggling it makes the chime away. Jiggle it again and the chime comes back. Is there some way to adjust this?

Damn, its always something. At this point frustration is at a high level, call it quits and go inside to make me a plate for supper and drop it on the kitchen floor. Damn, its just one of those days.....

Old 10-18-2012, 10:29 PM
carltonwebb
Cargo Master
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - carltonwebb's Album: Random

There are two pics in that album that have how to check mf switch. Of course its by wire color and not by pin location on the switch.

I think the transforce tires are one of the best a/t tires out there right now for wear and ride. We run them on a lot of trucks at work (some step up to the mud terrain) with excellent results. I have a pair on the front of my truck as well.

Old 10-18-2012, 11:44 PM
1fixitman
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I also have the Transforce tires on my truck. Some days are better than others for working on our trucks.