Upholstery

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 05:57 PM
koski19
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Upholstery

Hey Guys,

I was looking into re-upholstery kit for the driver side front seat. The seats are 40/20/40 style.

However, I couldn't locate a kit via an internet search.
SMS Auto Fabrics has the fabric but needs to be sewn and since I don't sew I am looking for a kit. Foam seat and back, seat fabric(already sewn) hog nose ring etc.

BTY the fabric seems to be expensive; $85 a yard and $79 a yard for the matching plain fabric.

So, does anyone one know of a company that provides a kit to recover the seat...I don't want seat covers.

Thanks as always!
jeff

Old 10-16-2012, 05:59 PM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I bought my new drivers side from Ford...

Of course I have the last blue seat bottom in the country... HEHE. Not going on until the drivers seat is one big iron on patch. LOL

Old 10-16-2012, 07:40 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
How did I know when I opened this thread that Joe would mention his last set of blues.

More on topic, I am looking at aftermarket replacement covers to replace the factory fabric because the drivers side is wearing by the door from sliding my rumph across it so often.

Old 10-16-2012, 07:52 PM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
Thats exactly where mine developed a hole. So I picked up an iron on patch to fix it for now. And my lovely wife got me the LAST BLUE SEAT BOTTOM in the country... LOL

Attached Images  
Old 10-16-2012, 08:40 PM
JT250
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Sure do like my leather. Don't need a blue bottom. I was done with that by the time I was 14.

Old 10-16-2012, 08:50 PM
Supercab
Lead Driver

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
I have a local professional aircraft/marine/auto upholstery man here that CAN get most any factory upholstery that anyone would need AND rebuild any seat that needs rebuilding......it doesn't make sense to me to even attempt to try & find fabric on my own let alone try to sew/make it myself.

MY suggestion is to seek out a known reputable upholstery shop that caters to the custom crowd-this is the type of shop that will be your best bet in getting a seat rebuilt.

Old 10-16-2012, 10:28 PM
pin8246
Elder User
I was thinking about the dealer, but for the cost of the leather from them, Ive been able to find full seats on craigslist, ect for less money than just the covers.

Old 10-16-2012, 10:42 PM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
Originally Posted by JT250
Sure do like my leather. Don't need a blue bottom. I was done with that by the time I was 14.
My wifes Excursion has leather... Hot in the summer, cold in the winter...

Sucks.

Drivers seat is cracked, cant fix it...

Need to get a new bottom for hers now too.

Old 10-17-2012, 06:57 AM
Supercab
Lead Driver

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
GUYS, Take your trucks to a local, known reputable home town type auto upholstery shop, THESE folks can and will rebuild/reupholster your seat bottoms or the whole seat just like factory (less any special logos) Believe me it CAN be done, don't say it can't be fixed until you take it to a pro!

Old 10-17-2012, 07:36 AM
Crewcab Turbo
Fleet Mechanic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have leather seats. I was quoted $350 for a new bottom cushion and new cover for seat bottom and back. All new material. The guy says there is material that feels and looks just like leather but is stronger and wont crack like leather. Not the cheapest but not bad for a professionally redone leather seat. I wish I could find a good used leather seat because my truck is a daily driver and I cannot be without my truck for the two days it will take to get done. Check with a local upholstery shop you may be surprised. If you have cloth seats it may be inexpensive to have a pro do it.

Old 10-17-2012, 08:19 AM
Vinford
Cargo Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My leather seat was all torn at seams and falling apart.
I put up with it for 2 years until one day I finally took it to a upolstery shop ..............
final cost $150 and it looks like new.

Old 10-17-2012, 09:58 AM
SteveH-CO
Fleet Mechanic
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
The problem with most aftermarket seat covers is not how they fit on the seat bottom, but how they fit on the backrest portion of the seat. Here was my solution:

If only the seat bottom is worn, I bought a set of inexpensive stretchy seat covers from Walmart (not the cheapest, but about 1 grade up from the cheapest), and cut the top portion off, leaving a generous 'shirt tail' flap. I installed the seat bottom cover (which fits tightly and looks nice) and left the shirt tail hanging out in the back. The bottom color matches pretty well and looks great.

If you look inside the truck, you see the OEM cover on the seatback and it doesn't look like you took a nice truck and afflicted it with crummy Walmart seat covers (because only the seat bottom is covered).

If your entire seat is worn out, then this won't work. I agree with the others - find a GOOD upholstery shop that can order OEM-quality seat fabrics and redo the seat or portions of the seat.

Last edited by SteveH-CO; 10-17-2012 at 09:58 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 10-17-2012, 10:08 AM
spongecop
Semper Fi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check out these guys. We have used their products and they are great. Good install videos as well.

Auto Upholstery | Leather Seat Covers | 3rd Row Seats | Home page

Old 10-17-2012, 10:21 AM
good9682
Cross-Country
I just got a new seat bottom from ebay: 02-07 Ford F250 F350 Excursion Lariat Leather Driver Side Bottom Seat Cover Grey | eBay, it is exact match, very good quality. If the ebay link doesn't work, this is the company it came from, Houston Auto Upholstery | Car Upholstery Repair in Houston | Richmond Auto Upholstery. I called them with my order, just gave them the VIN number and interior code. Got the new cover in about 4 days.

Old 10-17-2012, 12:45 PM
MTalley
More Turbo

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
I was looking at that company (Richmond Auto Upholstery) and looked like great quality stuff. How do you like the new cover? Match existing color well? Seem like good quality? Debating re-covering my two front Lariat seats.

Quick Reply: Upholstery