1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Another added to the garage! Few Qs for starters.

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 07:39 PM
bmoran4
Cargo Master
Received 548 Likes on 398 Posts
Another added to the garage! Few Qs for starters.

So I just broght home a 1951 Ford F5. It kinda runs and drives and almost stops as it should.

I know you all want picture, so here is one I just took:

I know, it's dark out and so it didn't really come out - you can count on me to take some more as soon I can. Before you pack up and stop reading though, I do have some questions and answers for you all.

First Question: 6V Stock Electrical A crude conversion to a 12V system was made by rudely disconnecting the dash and generator. A dead spare 12V auto battery was put in place. I want to go back to a stock 6V positive ground system. I presume I only need to replace the battery with a proper 6V batter and replace the fresh 12V starter relay. Any other suggestions? Also, what would the appropriate 6V battery be, and is there an easy local brick and mortor source? I'm not looking for anything fancy like one adorned in Ford script. I will also need to revert the headlights to 6V and have the same sourcing questions.

Answer One: Restoration Plans? I plan on making the truck a stock operational example (not so perfect you could eat off of it, and not even hinting at the dark side) and find a proper bed so that I can present her as a member of the "Crusade for Freedom" motorcade.

Anwser Two: What the heck is the "Crusade for Freedom Motorcade?

Well, this is the motorcade:

In 1951 the Ford Motor Company donated model trucks and the Chevrolet Division of General Motors donated station wagons for the Crusade campaign in the 48 states and District <?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = ST1 /><ST1:CITY w:st="on"><ST1:PLACE w:st="on">Columbia</ST1:PLACE></ST1:CITY>. The trucks and cars were identical in every state and each truck was clearly marked “Crusade for Freedom” and numbered as part of the fleet around the nation that became known as the Freedom Motorcade. The Ford truck carried a replica of the Freedom <ST1:CITY w:st="on">Bell</ST1:CITY> in <ST1:STATE w:st="on">Berlin</ST1:STATE>, a Radio Free Europe transmitter tower, with the words “Radio Free Europe, Radio Free <ST1:PLACE w:st="on">Asia</ST1:PLACE>.” The Freedom Motorcade provided excellent backdrop for newspaper publicity photos for the Crusade campaign and local citizens.

Anyone who could pass on anymore information on the motorcade would be awesome, especially the colors of the float-like elements!

Question Two: What color is the paint in the picture?

I would love to take my truck that appears to have been originally Meadow Green (and now is in black primer) and paint it the color of the truck I'm modeling off of. What color do you think is represented in the above photo? And the text on the door?

Answer Three: Do you know what widow makers are and does yours have them? I'm lucky to have found it with 22.5s on all 6!

Answer Four: Engine? 239 V8

Old 09-30-2012, 10:27 PM
The Horvaths
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We watched "Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?" last week. I can't help but thinking that those guys need straw brooms and some of that "reform."
Neat project. Keep us posted.
As for the color, the one guy's suit has a similar tone. So, my guess is seafoam green (not so sure if that's the proper name). The light green, not the darker one that mine is. My wife likes the color and, thus, ours will likely be lightened up as we do the body work.

Old 09-30-2012, 11:24 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,451 Likes on 1,398 Posts
I did a google search for 1951 crusade for freedom and came up with so interesting websites. One you may be very interested in is a book that popped up that I linked to here. Radio Free Europe's "Crusade for Freedom": Rallying Americans Behind Cold ... - Richard H. Cummings - Google Books

There's a cool picture on page 63 that is of the same truck as in yours, but a rear 3/4 view.

But for my curiosity, what made you decide on a project like this? I doubt too many people have ever heard of the crusade for freedom. I know I haven't.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:02 AM
bmoran4
Cargo Master
Google searching also lead me to Cummings book. As for choosing this type of project, well, it's unique, stock, historical, and seemingly a sligltly interesting project. Tell me if you saw this truck at a show that you wouldn't be drawn to it.

Old 10-01-2012, 12:47 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by bmoran4
Question Two: What color is the paint in the picture?
My guess would be the truck is either Sea Island Green M14555, or Silvertone Gray M14197. I think those are the only available colors that would look that "light gray" in a monochrome photo.

Old 10-01-2012, 12:56 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Here's Sea Island Green

And here's Silvertone Gray

And here they are in grayscale:

Here's Sea Island Green

And Here's Silvertone Gray

After looking back at your original photo, I'm betting it was Silvertone Gray.

Hope that helps.

Old 10-01-2012, 07:26 PM
38 coupe
Cargo Master
Received 109 Likes on 57 Posts
I last bought a 6V battery from one of the local tractor dealers.

Make sure when you connect the battery you use positive ground.

If someone previously connected the battery backwards your generator and regulator will probably be bad. If someone previously connected 12V through the stock gauges they will probably be bad, with the exception of the ammeter.

Old 10-02-2012, 05:43 PM
bmoran4
Cargo Master
Got me a 6V from Tractor Supply Co that matches up to what is in my F6. Also got new battery and starter cables because the existing look sketchy.

Got the promised pictures for you all:

For the eagle eyes out there, you will notice that the bed is not correct. I think it is from the 70's. I would like to get this bed to someone who needs it and find a period correct bed. All my dump hydralics are there, original and are supposidly operable.

Closeup of the bed so someone can ID it so I can properly post it in the classifieds.

Also, I cannot believe that my local AutoZone, AdvanceAuto, and NAPA do not stock 6006 sealed beams! What is this world coming to

Old 10-02-2012, 05:45 PM
bmoran4
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger Joe
And Here's Silvertone Gray

After looking back at your original photo, I'm betting it was Silvertone Gray.

Hope that helps.
I agree with you JRJ! Makes sense to pick a neutralish color for the donated vehicles.

Old 10-02-2012, 06:02 PM
Rojak
Posting Guru
What a great idea for a project! I would be drawn to the truck at a show. I wonder if any of those vehicles survived?

Old 10-04-2012, 06:47 PM
bmoran4
Cargo Master
Rojack,

Don't know of any that survived, but that isn't to say there are not any either; There were 48, one for each state.

As for progress being made, I got the new battery and cables installed and she fired up real good! Found an apparent cracked head on the passenger side with some miniscule coolant leakage. Guess that means I'm looking for a set or 8RTs; however I don't believe running a cracked head is ultimately detrimental.

I also need to find me some 6006 headlamps locally and do a brake adjustment so I can take her for her first ride. Maybe I can show JRJ really how to grind the gears on the 4spd crashbox!

Old 10-04-2012, 07:24 PM
South of BC
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I found a couple more photos of vehicles used in the Crusade for Freedom.

Attached Images   
Old 10-04-2012, 07:32 PM
captchas
western ny man? i'm down in northwest nj,talk old school flat head like i teeth on them "age 65" you can email me for help i'm more then willing to help you out

Old 10-04-2012, 07:35 PM
bmoran4
Cargo Master
Google Image Search is awesome isn't it! (Well, that's how I found those atleast, and these additional)

And it looks like I should trade in my F5 for this instead:

Old 10-04-2012, 07:35 PM
captchas
Originally Posted by bmoran4
Rojack,

Don't know of any that survived, but that isn't to say there are not any either; There were 48, one for each state.

As for progress being made, I got the new battery and cables installed and she fired up real good! Found an apparent cracked head on the passenger side with some miniscule coolant leakage. Guess that means I'm looking for a set or 8RTs; however I don't believe running a cracked head is ultimately detrimental.

I also need to find me some 6006 headlamps locally and do a brake adjustment so I can take her for her first ride. Maybe I can show JRJ really how to grind the gears on the 4spd crashbox!
think i know where a set of heads are in sussex county nj man. but be carefull the flaties are good for cracks all over. or even the wrong head gaskets being used that cause one to think the head is cracked

Quick Reply: Another added to the garage! Few Qs for starters.