1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

trans rebuilt/and homemade tools

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 05:45 PM
quesey
Laughing Gas
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
trans rebuilt/and homemade tools

well finally got it done.picked up an extra E4OD trans to rebuild as mine seem's to be getting old.Got it rebuilt and shift kit installed.i went ahead and rollerized it like i'v done to all my c6's.picked up a billet converter for it to.Looking over all the thread's i've been reading and a buddy's help thats been building these trans for year's don't think i should have any trouble but we'll see.Don't know if anyone need's tool's or not.thought there was a thread on tool's homemade but could'nt find it.Here's some i made from what all i've read here and there. there's one that was a real tool from part of another one i've used for year's.but it work's better with that hole in the table.

Old 10-10-2012, 07:24 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 398 Likes on 269 Posts
Very nice! Now to see how it does!

Old 10-10-2012, 07:43 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm impressed! Looking forward to seeing how it performs. What all did you upgrade while you were inside it?

Old 10-10-2012, 07:54 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Hope all goes well

This may help you
E4OD rebuild

Old 10-11-2012, 05:33 AM
quesey
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by fordpride
Hope all goes well

This may help you
E4OD rebuild
read that one way back. been studying up on them for awhile.been doing c6's for 25 years and these are c6 clutch pack's behind the od part so no worry's there.valve body's and the electrical part is all i'm wondering about.Trans are easy to rebuild with tool's.
DYI i did it like any c6 i removed most of the thrust washer's and replaced them with torrington bearing's to lower drag in trans and added extra clutch's were i could with kevlar band.installed a shift kit.have'nt played with these vb's alot yet to do anything extra there yet.was going to do the coon mod but figured i'd try this set up first.i can allways change that once it's in the truck
thanks john

Old 10-11-2012, 06:01 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Very nice! I think generally they recommend against doing the coon mod if you're installing a shift kit. Do you have chip on the truck? That is supposed to really help as opposed to the stock shift points as well.

Old 10-11-2012, 07:33 AM
fordpride
Post Fiend
I done away with the shift kit for coon's mod. Way better

Old 10-11-2012, 08:02 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
You're saying that the coon mod works better than the shift kit?

Old 10-11-2012, 08:14 AM
fordpride
Post Fiend
For me it did. The shift kit was just fast and hard shifts. Coon's mod is fast and firm

Old 10-11-2012, 08:29 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
I might have to add that to the list of things "To Do" then. I have really debated between Coon's mod and the shift kit. Sounds like the free route may actually be the better way to go!

Old 10-11-2012, 03:04 PM
quesey
Laughing Gas
have a chip with rosewood burn on it.but the way i'm doing it is i can try this first and if i don't like it i can just pull the accumulator and do the mod with stock springs back in it.kinda hard to go back the other way.going to try and pull mine and install this one this weekend if everything works out

Old 10-11-2012, 07:26 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Yeah that's true! It is kinda hard to put that metal back in the hole.... Not impossible, just difficult...

Old 10-11-2012, 07:52 PM
C350CREW
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by quesey
well finally got it done.picked up an extra E4OD trans to rebuild as mine seem's to be getting old.Got it rebuilt and shift kit installed.i went ahead and rollerized it like i'v done to all my c6's.picked up a billet converter for it to.Looking over all the thread's i've been reading and a buddy's help thats been building these trans for year's don't think i should have any trouble but we'll see.Don't know if anyone need's tool's or not.thought there was a thread on tool's homemade but could'nt find it.Here's some i made from what all i've read here and there. there's one that was a real tool from part of another one i've used for year's.but it work's better with that hole in the table.
Sounds like you know your way around a tranny. I need to do one for mine but have never done an auto before. Where do I find directions for making all those diy tools? I am kinda hesitant to do one, but know some one that use do work in tranny shop years ago, hopefully can talk him into helping. I will be looking forward to seeing how yours works out. Also, what is "rollerized"? Details please.

Old 10-11-2012, 08:52 PM
quesey
Laughing Gas
some of them so far anyways.just started doing these.did one for a bronco i bought did the coon mod on it but sold it right after i got it done so didnt get to drive it much to see how it worked.but the guy that got it said it's doing fine and like's the way it shift's
the roller part just take's the place of the thrust washer's i copied this somewhere

This low drag set replaces the troublesome stock thrust washers with needle bearings that reduce friction and extend transmission life.
been doing this to trans for year's.back in the 80's my buddy had a truck that we raced and it would make 7 to 8 passes and eat the washer's up and trans would'nt last to long.i started doing this back then trans would last all year after this was done.with the e4od ford started doing this on the #9 thrust.some of the 4r100 stuff is allready rollerized as well. pulled one apart and it had the thrust on the output shaft done and one other one. i went ahead and done the rest of the trans just for myself.on the tools i just looked all over the web and found some here and there in differnt post. i'll pm you my number and help on making them and doing the rebuild if you like but the link above is a good one to read over i did.over and over. I'M cheap i just cant see spending $4000 on a trans that may have $500 in the kit and $700 in a converter.now they are good trans and they sell a lot of them i guess.i think your just paying for a warranty i just can't cut lose of that much money.

Old 10-11-2012, 09:09 PM
C350CREW
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I will be reading that link, got another one i have read. Not sure when I will get around to doing the rebuild, maybe this winter. I am with you on the price, no way i can turn loose of 4 grand for a tranny, bullet proof or not. I am sure they are worth every penny, but dont have it to start with. So I will have to diy one if mine goes south. Got a second one that was a take out for a 5 speed swap, and a third one that lost 1st/rev. Gonna start on the bad one, that way if I mess it up I still have one more to rebuild. I will definitely be giving you a hollar, maybe you could send some close up pics of each tool so I can get a better look. Can you also list what you call each one so I can start searching for them?

Quick Reply: trans rebuilt/and homemade tools