Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This is driving me crazy

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 09:46 AM
Kemicalburns
Hotshot
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
when you installed this JY tranny did you reuse the torque converter from your previous trans?

Old 10-12-2012, 04:46 PM
BugetBronco
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got the scanner today, so I ran the KOER test with it and I pulled code 12- RPM unable to reach upper test limit, 18- SPOUT circuit open or SAW failure, IDM circuit failure or SPOUT grounded, and 77- Operator error. I understand code 12 and 77 are my fault, I ran it twice and got those, but whats code 18 saying? When we checked timimg we removed the SPOUT connector and once we were finished we reinstalled it. Can they go bad or what?

On the other had this scanner is pretty sweet, I like it more than my BluePointe OBD2 scanner with ABS functions.

Old 10-12-2012, 04:48 PM
BugetBronco
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Kemicalburns
when you installed this JY tranny did you reuse the torque converter from your previous trans?
No, we used the converter from the trans we pulled.

Old 10-12-2012, 04:48 PM
khadma
Carpenter Local 745

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by BugetBronco
Got the scanner today, so I ran the KOER test with it and I pulled code 12- RPM unable to reach upper test limit, 18- SPOUT circuit open or SAW failure, IDM circuit failure or SPOUT grounded, and 77- Operator error. I understand code 12 and 77 are my fault, I ran it twice and got those, but whats code 18 saying? When we checked timimg we removed the SPOUT connector and once we were finished we reinstalled it. Can they go bad or what?

On the other had this scanner is pretty sweet, I like it more than my BluePointe OBD2 scanner with ABS functions.
What did you pay for the scanner?

I need a better OBD2 scanner myself.

Old 10-12-2012, 04:52 PM
BugetBronco
Freshman User
Originally Posted by khadma
What did you pay for the scanner?

I need a better OBD2 scanner myself.
Eh, like $162 in the end. Didn't take long to get here, came out of Nazareth, PA. Just a couple mile away from me on eBay.

Here's the link, EQUUS INNOVA C.A.N. OBD 2 &1 SCAN TOOL 3120 | eBay

Old 10-12-2012, 06:17 PM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I manually pulled codes today and got code 11- system pass and code 33- EGR valve opening not detected. I looked into the EGR valve and watched for the diafram to move as I gave it throttle and it didn't. So I bypassed the carbon canister and then I would open, but I think it may still have a vacuum leak somewhere. Any thpughts on wheather we're on the right track?
Code 18 - (during KOER) indicates that the ECM/PCM did not detect Spark OUTput signal during the test. Simply put, it means there was no SPOUT signal from the TFI which, as you mentioned, runs through the connector. In this case either the SPOUT connector was not seated and making contact or there is a break in the SPOUT signal wiring elsewhere in the system. No matter what the reason, if the ECM/PCM is not getting SPOUT signal it cannot control spark timing. This would be the root of most performance problems including shift issues since tach and SPOUT signal are used to determine shift points.

Code 33 - If the diaphragm is not moving, make certain the green hard plastic vacuum line is intact. Make certain the EVR (EGR Vacuum Regulator) solenoid is connected both electronically and to the vacuum line running to the EGR valve. The EGR valve does not get vacuum all the time and the EVR controls vacuum to it. The EVR is triggered by the ECM/PCM. If the diaphragm DOES move with applied vacuum, and the EVR and vacuum source lines are intact, the issue is most likely the EVP (EGR Valve Position) sensor atop the valve.

Old 10-12-2012, 07:36 PM
BugetBronco
Freshman User
Originally Posted by greystreak92
Code 18 - (during KOER) indicates that the ECM/PCM did not detect Spark OUTput signal during the test. Simply put, it means there was no SPOUT signal from the TFI which, as you mentioned, runs through the connector. In this case either the SPOUT connector was not seated and making contact or there is a break in the SPOUT signal wiring elsewhere in the system. No matter what the reason, if the ECM/PCM is not getting SPOUT signal it cannot control spark timing. This would be the root of most performance problems including shift issues since tach and SPOUT signal are used to determine shift points.

Code 33 - If the diaphragm is not moving, make certain the green hard plastic vacuum line is intact. Make certain the EVR (EGR Vacuum Regulator) solenoid is connected both electronically and to the vacuum line running to the EGR valve. The EGR valve does not get vacuum all the time and the EVR controls vacuum to it. The EVR is triggered by the ECM/PCM. If the diaphragm DOES move with applied vacuum, and the EVR and vacuum source lines are intact, the issue is most likely the EVP (EGR Valve Position) sensor atop the valve.
We had checked into the EGR and EPV yesterday. We put a ohms meter to it and it checked out alright. I have to look into the SPOUT circuit, I thinks thats where the issue is. Thanks guys.

Old 10-13-2012, 01:40 PM
BugetBronco
Freshman User
I check AC voltages at the ICM and at the SPOT connector and everything checked out alright. Could it possibly be the PCM?? According to the service manual that's what they it is with all the checks done.

Old 10-13-2012, 02:24 PM
BugetBronco
Freshman User
Can the little SPOUT connectors go bad or does it simply work as a jumper wire? If so can I just test it with a jumper wire?

Old 10-13-2012, 08:51 PM
BugetBronco
Freshman User
I pulled the EEC and check the capacitors out and the one capacitor has the one leg burnt off, SOOO I'll get another EEC and let you know the results, kinda figured it was that with all the voltmeter testing I did and had everthing checkout alright.

Old 10-14-2012, 03:28 PM
BugetBronco
Freshman User
Can the EGR malfuctioning make the motor run this bad? In the KOEO test I only get codes 11 and 33.

Old 10-14-2012, 06:49 PM
BugetBronco
Freshman User
Sorry if I seem to nag and nag, but I think we almost got this Bronco figured out. There were two capacitors that need replaced, both leaked and one of them just about corroded off entirely. After doing that I unhooked the postive battery cable so all memory was erased. ( I guess removing the EEC from the truck would do the same) Any ways, I took it for a long drive and then brought it home and scanned it KOEO and KOER and this is what I came up with, Code 11, 11 and 18. When Advanced Auto test the TFI module for us it pasted, but they only tested it once, I'm assuming our module is failing once it gets hot, resistance increases as heat increases within the module, so I just went ahead and ordered a new one to pick up tomorrow. HOPEFULLY tomorrow will be the last day I have to wrench on this, I'll let you know, thank you for all the help you've all given me so far. I've learned a lot from everyone here, and that's awesome in my eyes.

Old 10-14-2012, 10:51 PM
mightymoose95
Mountain Pass
wow i am so glad i came across this because my 93 5.0 bronco is doing the EXACT same thing. it shutter really bad when going in third and OD. and it doesnt have nearly as much power as it should. does you engine shake badly at all? and a while back i actually pulled the same code as you, EGR valve opening not detected, along with evp sensor under minimum voltage. the reason i am concerned is because today finally my bronco actually died on me. it started back up but just ran like complete crap. and it would hardly go over 30 or so unless i floored it. then sadly it shot A TON of smoke out the exaust. so if you figure anything out PLEASE let me know. cause i think we may have the same problem

Old 10-15-2012, 12:12 AM
BugetBronco
Freshman User
Originally Posted by mightymoose95
wow i am so glad i came across this because my 93 5.0 bronco is doing the EXACT same thing. it shutter really bad when going in third and OD. and it doesnt have nearly as much power as it should. does you engine shake badly at all? and a while back i actually pulled the same code as you, EGR valve opening not detected, along with evp sensor under minimum voltage. the reason i am concerned is because today finally my bronco actually died on me. it started back up but just ran like complete crap. and it would hardly go over 30 or so unless i floored it. then sadly it shot A TON of smoke out the exaust. so if you figure anything out PLEASE let me know. cause i think we may have the same problem
Yupp, that's the same card I've been delt currently. I'm working on it right now, but I've had a lot of help from these guys along the way. I'll let you know.

Old 10-15-2012, 08:53 AM
mightymoose95
Mountain Pass
ok sweet. thank you

Quick Reply: This is driving me crazy