Aerostar Ford Aerostar

Fluid on the liftgate

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 06:32 PM
92aeroXLT
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fluid on the liftgate

Here we go.. I took the 88 out yesterday (3.0 with rebuilt transmission).. it looks like there is transmission fluid on the back (spots all over it).. I can only assume it's transmission fluid... I tried to wipe it off... but it was kind of a mist.. I assume the modulator should be checked? I'm not sure where it is or what it looks like though... any help?

Old 10-06-2012, 02:28 AM
xlt4wd90
Lead Driver

Received 86 Likes on 75 Posts
First, I would take it back to the mechanic who rebuilt the transmission and have him fix it.

The mist appearance is due to the leak being blown over everywhere by air currents from driving. You need to find exactly where it's coming from. If you can watch it while you idle it in place, maybe you can see the source of the leak.

Somebody else just found his transmission leaking from the vent tube, probably from the fluid overheating.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post12344558

Old 10-17-2012, 06:05 PM
92aeroXLT
Senior User
I've got some good news!! I've checked the oil, the transmission fluid and the brake fluid... all were good (I do have a small oil leak... but it will get fixed later)... then I checked the power steering fluid.. it didn't even register on the dipstick.... so I took a flashlight and looked down the tube.. the fluid looked whitish/greenish.. and kind of smelled like antifreeze.. is this even possible?!?!? I can't find the leak.. but te lines right under the power steering pump are caked with ick... could it be the pump? It's loud but seems to steer just fine..

Old 10-17-2012, 07:31 PM
Muffinman
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds like water got in there and needs to be flushed out. That is a simple job just disconnect the return line and stick it in a bucket. fill the steering box and flush away.

I know most have that cake buildup behind them from **** poor filling location. I still get it all over the thing without my Lucas Power steering bottle I now keep under the hood.

It took me 3 days of wire brushing and car washes to get all that buildup of the thing. I all most took it off but its clean as new without having to do it.

Old 10-17-2012, 08:49 PM
92aeroXLT
Senior User
Ya.. it doesn't sound too difficult... I'll have to find where the water is getting in.. and where it's leaking.. the oil filter, the front of the gas tank, the side of the gas tank.. the drivers side rear wheelwell.. all have fluid on them.. and the tailgate.. hopefully it will be obvious!

Old 10-17-2012, 08:53 PM
Muffinman
Laughing Gas
Water gets in from a bad O-ring on the cap, or the cap got cracks in it. Just look at it close.

Old 10-18-2012, 01:09 AM
xlt4wd90
Lead Driver

Received 86 Likes on 75 Posts
Usually, the drain tube from the cowl area gets clogged with crud, and water starts leaking from other sources. These can make their way to the top of the cap of the power steering pump. There is a went hole there that can let water in, if water splashes onto it. To prevent this, make sure that drain hose is clear of crud; it runs right past the PS pump.

I'm more concerned about why your pump is empty, or nearly so. I'm wondering if there is a leak in the lines coming out from the back of the pump.

Old 10-18-2012, 04:09 AM
96_4wdr
Post Fiend
any water from the cowl drain gets into the pwr steering pump reservior and it's pump/rack seals death time.

can try flushing the pump rack with a couple quarts of cheap Walmart Type F auto tranny fluid since yours is the old 88 system which used type F.
pull off return line and block return hole on reservior. run return line into bucket. pour in ATF and run engine for few seconds. repeat until the return line ATF runs clean and titty pink

put a soup can over the top of the pump fill cap to keep the water out. I prefer the low salt Progresso chicken and noodle.

run the system for several days with the cheap stuff in it. if level holds up and pump doesn't die from water, change to Mobil 1 ATF, full synthetic that makes these weak Ford pump/rack systems last forever

Old 10-18-2012, 05:06 AM
Jose A.
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 96_4wdr
put a soup can over the top of the pump fill cap to keep the water out. I prefer the low salt Progresso chicken and noodle.
I tried this tip but I found that a Campbell's Potatoe Soup can fits better, Progresso cans are too wide and they rattle. ("potatoe" per Dan's spelling).

Old 10-18-2012, 07:52 PM
92aeroXLT
Senior User
There is definitely a leak on the back side of the the steering box.. I've checked the cowl drain.. seems clear.. water runs through it down past the power steering lid.. I can't seem to pintpoint where the leak is coming from.. and I don't have the equipment to get the van off the ground.. the resevoir was very very low.. to the point of not being able to see the fluid (almost). I crawled under the van.. everything is dry except the power steering lines that are covered in yuck.. so I am assuming it's coming from there..

Old 10-18-2012, 07:54 PM
Muffinman
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by 92aeroXLT
There is definitely a leak on the back side of the the steering box.. I've checked the cowl drain.. seems clear.. water runs through it down past the power steering lid.. I can't seem to pintpoint where the leak is coming from.. and I don't have the equipment to get the van off the ground.. the resevoir was very very low.. to the point of not being able to see the fluid (almost). I crawled under the van.. everything is dry except the power steering lines that are covered in yuck.. so I am assuming it's coming from there..

Sounds like the hose O-ring is bad or loose.

Old 10-18-2012, 08:03 PM
92aeroXLT
Senior User
Muffinman.. that's what I'm thinking.. hopefully nice n easy to fix.. it steers fine.. just like my 94.. just the pump is a little louder... I assume due to the milkshake in the system lol

Old 10-18-2012, 08:19 PM
Muffinman
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by 92aeroXLT
Muffinman.. that's what I'm thinking.. hopefully nice n easy to fix.. it steers fine.. just like my 94.. just the pump is a little louder... I assume due to the milkshake in the system lol
On my 89 the weird thing with the PS hose was the return was built inside the pressure side hose..

I now pull hard to find parts off every junk yard Aerostar I find now, Just for the reason, if they even look nice it comes off and in my stash.

Old 10-19-2012, 03:27 AM
96_4wdr
Post Fiend
can't hear the can rattle over all the other rattles in mine

plus I'm deaf from loud explosions and 2 wives.

Originally Posted by Jose A.
I tried this tip but I found that a Campbell's Potatoe Soup can fits better, Progresso cans are too wide and they rattle. ("potatoe" per Dan's spelling).

Old 10-20-2012, 06:52 PM
92aeroXLT
Senior User
ugh.. I'm sooo frustrated!!! So I take the van in (because it needs tires too)... they can't find a power steering leak.. they say the resevoir is full (which it wasn't when I checked it).. and the fluid looked fine (it was white when I checked it).. anyway.. 4 tires.. 1 fixed power window and a steering fluid flush later I pick it up.. took it for a test drive... the back of the van looks like i've been driving in the rain.. so I crawl under the van and look.. there is fluid all over the frame (or what I call the frame that's near the rack).. the oil pan is soaked... the front of the transmission is soaked.. the gas tank is wet.. the rear wheel well is wet.. Anyway.. do you think they could have spilled that much steering fluid when flushing it?

Quick Reply: Fluid on the liftgate