Computer Chips & Tuners  

1986 Ranger 2.3 5-speed ~ What diagnosic tests are available?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 08:29 PM
bozo4ford
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1986 Ranger 2.3 5-speed ~ What diagnosic tests are available?

1986 FORD RANGER 2.3 EFI / 5-Speed / 4 banger / SOHC / 140 CID
Present mileage - 155,801.8

Hello,
Are there any ports for diagnostic repairs on this '86 ranger, OR...Do you have to read the CODES?

When shops are charging anywhere between $100.00 - $150.00 PER HOUR shop time to try to diagnose problems, I'd like to know if this Ranger has any other Diagnostic ports, or they came much later, just so I know what to expect. I'm not sure If have a fuel or electrical problem. It might be the starter, or clogged fuel injectors.

(I used Lucas Super clean injector addditive to my gas back in februarey, but a few people told mne NEVER to use this stuff in a 26 year old car, because it takes all the bad gunk in the tank and does a number in the engine. What do you think the problem may be?

All I know is when I try to crank it, it does not keep running, no matter if I gas the pedal or not. Last week at least, when I cranked it over a few times, then it would start and keep an idle, now it does not.

thanks! :-)

Old 10-19-2012, 10:20 AM
kc5mhb
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't think they had diagnostic ports back then. My suggestion would be to make sure you have fuel flow from the tank to the injectors. I think you can pressure test at the fuel rail, but if not, I'd start at the fuel filter and make sure you have ample flow there. Does the fuel pump pressurize when you turn the key on? I've seen them fail slowly and as quick as killing the engine and try to restart a couple hours later, not work. It could also be a clogged fuel sock in the tank on the pump as well. Anyway it sounds like a fuel delivery issue, however when was the last time a tune up was done on this vehicle?

Old 10-19-2012, 11:56 AM
bozo4ford
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kc,
Hi and thank you for your reply.

I usually make sure the Spark plugs, wires,air filter, cap and rotor are replaced every few years so when I do the manatory every two year California emissions SMOG ONLY, it usually passes. So that's the extent of a tune up.
I do hear the pump Priming, I did replace a bad TFI, and also the Fuel In line filter, but when I get some money ahead, maybe I should also replace timing belt and Fuel Pump.

This is so crazy! I still could have engine problems like fuel pump, electrical, or emissions, etc., but all this time I was chasing something that was probably causing these problems....... on my steering column.

About three years ago or so, I replaced my key cylinder from FORD, and it was really easy to do, because (as I try to remember) the original switch had a tiny pin hole that you poke a wire in, then it releases. (...or I'm dreamin')The replacement I bought does not look like it has anything to push in to release, so if it is a faulty the switch, then I'll need to find out how to replace it.

I also replaced my TURN SIGNAL SWITCH last year, (left side with Hazard light, turn signal, and bright lights) so I hope this has nothing to do with the key cylinder on the other side.....

Anyway....I removed the two sided Column pieces from steering column, gave it a once over and used Co2 air to blow any dust out. I screwed the two phillips screws back in, I even used 2 zip ties to get a nice solid tight column, the key in the ignition is no longer loose or causing the engine stall, no matter how I played with it.

and......guess what? It started right up! I shut down and restarted several times without it stalling. UNBELIEVABLE! I would have NEVER thought it could have been my switch. Good thing I waited and did not have my truck towed to the repair shop.

So that was yesterday, and today I drove it down the street and all around and it did not once stall, also kept a steady idle.

So I certainly hope all the other components are good. I turn the key and hear the pump priming so that's still ok. (fingers crossed)

So since I tightened down the Column with a zip tie,the key cylinder is no longer loose and the engine now turns over and RUNS. I took it on the freeway yesterday and thankfully, it ran and ran, Sooooo hopefully,this WAS this problem all along.

Thanks for all the help

Old 10-19-2012, 12:22 PM
kc5mhb
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Amazing isn't it. How two totally different things taking place at the same time can cause you to focus on one and not the other. The way you listed it I thought it to be fuel related. Working in the computer and electronics field, I've often asked people who were having equipment problems, "What was the last thing you did, installed, viewed, removed, etc. before the problem happened?" Its a great question in automotive diagnosing as well.
I've only owned and worked on the 5.4, 5.8, 4.0, and 2.2 Liter engines as I have at least one of each in the 7 vehicles currently owned. This was a stretch for me as I've never touched a ranger before.

Glad you got it fixed.