1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

HPO crossover ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 09:08 AM
Hussler
Postmaster

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ReBilld
I've read that it can smooth out idle and help get oil to, I think it was #8 injector As far as being necessary, I don't really know, but I wanted to do a gauge so I thought I'd do it like this and have both. Besides, how much of the stuff we do to these trucks is really "necessary" LOL!!
It helps a bit at idle. Before scan gauge showed ICP about +- 75 psi at idle and after install +- 25 psi at idle. It helped equalize oil pressure on each head, at least on my rig. Not a wow factor but definitely idles better.

Old 09-27-2012, 11:40 AM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wink

I know the SS HPX that Clay sells is a hard line, but can this be made with 5000 psi stainless steel braided hydraulic hose? I have some #5 o-ring fittings that I got to do a HPO gauge, but I was thinking about doing a crossover and tee the gauge in the middle of it. Will this work?
The stock HPO hoses are that kind of hose, so I dont see any trouble there, mine came from Tymar and its steel braided and no problems since I installed.

Originally Posted by Hussler
It helps a bit at idle. Before scan gauge showed ICP about +- 75 psi at idle and after install +- 25 psi at idle. It helped equalize oil pressure on each head, at least on my rig. Not a wow factor but definitely idles better.
Yes definitely idles better and the engine its a little less noisy.

Old 09-27-2012, 04:47 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 427 fordman
Mine is a flex line I got from dieselsite. I've heard of the hpop lines being made, I don't know why you couldn't make the crossover, as long as its made for high enough pressures. I don't think I'd tee into it though, I think I'd just use one of the other plugs in the head for the gauge. JMO though. Put your plugs and orings in the glovebox, just in case.
Using a dedicated port for the gauge was my original plan. You're probably right Darin, I'll just stick to doing that way. And good advice on keeping the plugs in the glove box

Thanks guys.

Old 09-27-2012, 04:49 PM
sbraatz
Mountain Pass
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
You might try Dale at Tymar. I've used his XHPO line (SS braided) and it has seemed to quite the idle a bit and I've had no leaks at all 5 years running.

Old 09-27-2012, 05:07 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Originally Posted by sbraatz
You might try Dale at Tymar. I've used his XHPO line (SS braided) and it has seemed to quite the idle a bit and I've had no leaks at all 5 years running.
I'm gonna make my own at work. We've got the ss braid to put over hydraulic hose and a hose machine. Won't cost me anything that way!

Old 09-27-2012, 08:50 PM
Ford4Life7.3
Posting Guru

Bill, buy something he can make himself? Never lol.

Old 09-27-2012, 09:08 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 401 Likes on 270 Posts
I like his attitude.too bad i dont work at the factory anymore.we had a hydro hose machine and all the hoses to do it ...

Kind of like my home built rust removing electralsis tank.i derusting parts as i sleep even...screw paying someone when i can do it myself!

Old 09-27-2012, 09:16 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Ford4Life7.3
Bill, buy something he can make himself? Never lol.
Originally Posted by fordman67
I like his attitude.too bad i dont work at the factory anymore.we had a hydro hose machine and all the hoses to do it ...

Kind of like my home built rust removing electralsis tank.i derusting parts as i sleep even...screw paying someone when i can do it myself!
Heck yeah! If I can make or build something, and it work and save me money, I'll do it everytime! LOL! Plus I enjoy it.

Aaron, you'll have to send me some info on the electro rust removing tank.

Old 09-27-2012, 09:44 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 126 Likes on 104 Posts
When I bought the Adrenaline, Bob at dieselsite told me to get rid of the HPX hose, its not needed because of the design of the pump.

When I bought the T500 Joey told me the same thing, built into the design of the pump each rail get equal pressure ensureing #8 cylinder gets its fair share of oil.

Old 09-27-2012, 09:51 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Originally Posted by oldbird1965
When I bought the Adrenaline, Bob at dieselsite told me to get rid of the HPX hose, its not needed because of the design of the pump.

When I bought the T500 Joey told me the same thing, built into the design of the pump each rail get equal pressure ensureing #8 cylinder gets its fair share of oil.
That's good info! I plan on doing a T500, stage 1 injectors and a chip some day. So if I do make the crossover hose, I'll just take it back off when that day comes.

Old 09-27-2012, 11:03 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Heck yeah! If I can make or build something, and it work and save me money, I'll do it everytime! LOL! Plus I enjoy it.

Aaron, you'll have to send me some info on the electro rust removing tank.
Its awesome bill.I have a 55 gallon plastic barrell.One table spoon backing soda per gallon water.piece od 3/16 x 4 steel (or stainless lasts longer) running down one side of barrel(to recieve the rust) it is sacrifical and the pos connects there.negative hooks to the part being derusted.battery charger on 2 amp setting and away we go.I have a 8" ford rear housing for my 41 derusting the inside of a very ugly situation..first end in and two days later it looked like new inside and out.tomorrow the second end comes out and i start on axles.i will post a pic of my rig if it is light enough when i get home.I have lots of parts to clean.i hope this battery charger holds up lol!

Old 09-27-2012, 11:34 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 126 Likes on 104 Posts
That's good info! I plan on doing a T500, stage 1 injectors and a chip some day. So if I do make the crossover hose, I'll just take it back off when that day comes.
Years ago Bill we used to go around and around on this subject. I ran a hose type one for a few years until it developed a leak. Pissed a lady off at a campground because I left a big oil spot on her site I was in, LOL. So then I got a steel one and soon after that I bought the Adrenaline so I sold it to Brown Falcon. Long story short, it was agreed that the HPX helps #7 & #8 so until you get a T500 its good. IMHO

Its awesome bill.I have a 55 gallon plastic barrell.One table spoon backing soda per gallon water.piece od 3/16 x 4 steel (or stainless lasts longer) running down one side of barrel(to recieve the rust) it is sacrifical and the pos connects there.negative hooks to the part being derusted.battery charger on 2 amp setting and away we go.I have a 8" ford rear housing for my 41 derusting the inside of a very ugly situation..first end in and two days later it looked like new inside and out.tomorrow the second end comes out and i start on axles.i will post a pic of my rig if it is light enough when i get home.I have lots of parts to clean.i hope this battery charger holds up lol!
Aaron, that's pretty cool. I'm going to have to save your post for future projects,

Old 09-28-2012, 07:19 AM
fordman67
Hotshot
I wish i could take credit for being really smart.Im not,i have several friends that have small ones and there is lots of info on the net if you search the topic.I am always amazed that not alot of people know it can be done so easily.I tell anyone i can because it is low buck and works well.my rear end should be done tonight,then onto model T leaf springs this weekend.there a lot of pieces to be cleaned!

Old 09-28-2012, 09:23 AM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wink

One suggestion: Make connections on a part of your electrode that protrudes out of the solution, or your clamps will erode rapidly.

Old 09-29-2012, 05:55 PM
rodneywar
Postmaster
so i have been running the hpx and the t500 and for a while now will it hurt anything? leaving it on

Quick Reply: HPO crossover ?