6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Use of courtesy time out

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 08:59 PM
madsonp
Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts
I have yet to verify this but, if you look at the plug for these lights underneath the truck they look like this:

If you look at the connectors for the speakers for these vehicles (mines a 2012) they look like this :

I bet you could get some of these and they'd plug right into them. METRA 72-5600 SPEAKER CONNECTOR HARNESS FOR FORD VEHICLES ADAPTORS | eBay

I've pulled my factory speakers and installed some Pioneer speakers in my truck using these connectors so the ones I've bought are already installed, but what I could do, when I get time, is take one of the old speakers I pulled, and compare the connectors on it with the one under the truck. Looking at the pictures, they sure look like they'd work to me.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:38 PM
madsonp
Originally Posted by madsonp
I have yet to verify this but, if you look at the plug for these lights underneath the truck they look like this:

If you look at the connectors for the speakers for these vehicles (mines a 2012) they look like this :

I bet you could get some of these and they'd plug right into them. METRA 72-5600 SPEAKER CONNECTOR HARNESS FOR FORD VEHICLES ADAPTORS | eBay

I've pulled my factory speakers and installed some Pioneer speakers in my truck using these connectors so the ones I've bought are already installed, but what I could do when I get time is take one of the old speakers I pulled, and compare the connectors on it with the one under the truck. Looking at the pictures, they sure look like they'd work to me.
I couldn't wait, curiosity got the best of me, I took one of the factory speakers I pulled to see if it would plug into the harness connector under the truck and it WILL work, so if you get some of the connectors I mentioned before, you can plug right into these for hooking up your lights. I just ordered a couple more of these should I decide to add lights to mine later, which I think I'd like to do. By the way, the price mentioned on ebay is for a pair of them. I apologize to you guys that already cut up your wiring for not figuring this out sooner.

Old 10-09-2012, 05:39 PM
madsonp
I got the connecters I ordered, plugged them in and they work great. Heres a photo with them plugged in:

I then wired up a test bulb to determine when these are powered, and like mentioned before, these are powered when a door is opened, the lock/unlock buttons are pushed on the remote and are timed out after a bit, but aren't powered on when the headlights are turned on. Here's a photo of them hooked up and using my test bulb.

Now I just have to decide what type of lights I want to go with to run off these. I was kind of thinking of going with some of these, http://www.superbrightleds.com/morei...-circuit/1000/ mounting them on the underside beneath the doors, running the full length above the running boards, I'm not sure though how well they would hold up, what do you guys think ?

Old 10-09-2012, 08:09 PM
Adventure Rider
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Argh!

I don't have those - will have to do it the hard way

Old 10-09-2012, 08:19 PM
madsonp
Originally Posted by Adventure Rider
Argh!

I don't have those - will have to do it the hard way
Bummer

Old 10-15-2012, 08:42 PM
madsonp
Has anyone got their lights put on yet ? I would like to see how some of these turned out.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:13 PM
Adventure Rider
Senior User
Nope.

Work and life are getting in the way of play

Old 10-15-2012, 09:28 PM
madsonp
Originally Posted by Adventure Rider
Nope.

Work and life are getting in the way of play
That's just not right, but a fact of life. It seems to be that way for me also no matter how much I fight it.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:42 PM
bridge
Sick 'n Tired
Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts
I'm thinking about doing this as well. I was draining the DFCM yesterday and noticed a channel under my chrome running boards that would be perfect for those retro-solutions LEDs. Also, I need something else to get me out of the house and all the political adds on the tube. Can't even relax and watch a football game without being insulted by the left, right and in between

Old 10-15-2012, 10:32 PM
madsonp
Hey bridge how you doing ? Did you ever finish your stereo install ? I'll have to take a look at the channel you're referring to. The problem I have with deciding on where to mount lights is I drive down a road that gets muddy at times and my running boards get plastered with mud that I think would cover the lights as well. I thought of trying to add more to the factory mud flaps to see if that would solve the problem, but I haven't tried anything yet. Did you see what I discovered about the connectors under the truck ?

Old 10-15-2012, 11:15 PM
Adventure Rider
Senior User
That's just not right, but a fact of life. It seems to be that way for me also no matter how much I fight it.
It's ok - once I do have the time it will be enjoyable

Gotta be responsible some times

Old 10-18-2012, 04:44 PM
jim48
Elder User
Yeah, let us have the details and pictures. Make it simple so I can copy!!

Jim

Old 10-18-2012, 08:52 PM
bridge
Sick 'n Tired
Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts
Hey bridge how you doing ? Did you ever finish your stereo install ? I'll have to take a look at the channel you're referring to. The problem I have with deciding on where to mount lights is I drive down a road that gets muddy at times and my running boards get plastered with mud that I think would cover the lights as well. I thought of trying to add more to the factory mud flaps to see if that would solve the problem, but I haven't tried anything yet. Did you see what I discovered about the connectors under the truck ?
Nope, work is treating me like a 2 cent hooker giving out free-bees, so I haven't gotten back to it just yet. I saw the connectors and they're in my Amazon cart waiting for me to pull the trigger. Great find. I too was concerned about mud/dirt on the lights, but they only cost $15 for two 24" strips so I was thinking I'd give it a shot and see how well they stand up to a car wash.

Old 12-30-2012, 08:32 PM
madsonp
Ok, I decided what I'm going to do for lights. First of all I got rid of the nerf bars because of mud getting packed everywhere when driving down dirt roads, I went with a factory style running board. You can read about it in this post. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...nerf-bars.html I've gotten these for lights (the Amber ones). WFLS-x-BK series Weatherproof High Power LED Flexible Light Strip - Black Circuit | LED Strips | LED Light Strips & Bars | Super Bright LEDs
I bought the 196" length and they can be cut to length for the install. I'll either mount these to the running boards themselves or on the truck above the running boards, then connect these to the connectors I mentioned earlier in this thread and plug them in. I have everything I need to do this with the exception of warm weather. Something else I plan on doing (there again when it's warm enough) is run some of these same lights (the warm white ones) on the top of the window frame inside my topper for lighting. They'll be turned on and off with one of these Directed 8600 Magnetic Micro Switch : Micro Switches | RadioShack.com which I'll mount to the topper door and frame. I've already ran a power wire from the battery all the way to the back of the truck, so I have power that's hot all the time for this. I'll post photos of everything when I get it all finished (if it ever warms up that is).

Old 12-31-2012, 05:39 PM
RM2012F350
Senior User
I'm thinking of using these...12 inch 24-LED Light Tube | LED Strip Lights, Accent Lighting & LED Modules | Super Bright LEDs

I have two mounted under my hood and they really light up the engine bay...

Quick Reply: Use of courtesy time out