6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Insurance and Fuel Systems/Failures

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 06:40 AM
KC8QVO
Cargo Master
Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
Insurance and Fuel Systems/Failures

PLEASE limit replies to only if you have pertinent information, if not just read please.

I talked to my insurance company the other day and I tried to explain the scenario with fuel quality and fuel system failures to see if this would be something covered on my policy. My direct off the cuff answer was it was not, which is why I went in to more detail.

More surprisingly my agent was seemingly dumbfounded when I explained this saying she had "never heard of such a thing in all the time she'd been in the insurance business". I explained that this has happened and insurance companies in the past have covered it.

My "argument" to her was that we don't have control of the fuel we put in our vehicles. We can choose where to buy, but no one that puts fuel in to their own vehicle has control of what they are really putting in. How is that a maintenance issue? There would be no fire damage, as the damage would be internal. Further, if it is a fuel quality issue, it isn't a Ford issue. It isn't something we, as the end user/consumer here, can control.

So my questions for the group are:

1. How is your coverage stated? As in what section and wording would the event of a fuel system failure be covered under? In my reading here on the forum one member states it would be covered under "comprehensive" with the addition that Ford would have to detail the problem and deny warranty, and even then it wouldn't be a clean process. Is there anything else that shows coverage? Is there any "add-on" or "rider" on a policy you are aware of that would boost the coverage on this subject?

2. If this has happened to you, or you have some pertinent detailed information on the process, what was involved? I am sure it has to be analyzed through Ford and them to write up the problem and detailed cause first.

Thanks ahead of time. PM's are OK too. Again, only reply if you have pertinent info - I'd like to keep the thread fairly short. I am just trying to cover my bases and figured I would ask. I've never had a problem with my truck. I drive it and enjoy it every day.

Old 09-20-2012, 08:10 AM
doublenot7
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Agents are goofs and have no control over the claim process. Deal with the claims center not the agent.

Old 09-20-2012, 08:51 AM
djousma
Cargo Master
Received 908 Likes on 328 Posts
This is my take on the situation. It will be covered under comprehensive if the "experts" - Ford says water in the fuel caused the failure.

If your truck is stock, in other words, no locking fuel cap, or locking fuel door, then there is no way to prove/disprove that the water in the fuel was not from some form of vandalism. Vandalism is covered on your comprehensive portion of your policy.

It is all how it is presented to the insurance company. Sometimes too much information is not helpful.

While counter-intuitive, this is the reason why I will NOT install a locking fuel cap or locking fuel door. It would be much easier for the insurance company to dis-prove vandalism with these measures in place.

Old 09-20-2012, 09:16 AM
jlalanas
More Turbo
I called my insurance co on this a while ago and they were also unfamiliar with this type of situation. They did say, that if the damage was a result of "bad gas" it would not be covered, however vandalism or water damage from an act of nature would be covered.

Old 09-20-2012, 10:50 AM
majkthreads
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jlalanas
I called my insurance co on this a while ago and they were also unfamiliar with this type of situation. They did say, that if the damage was a result of "bad gas" it would not be covered, however vandalism or water damage from an act of nature would be covered.

I got basically the same answer as well.

Old 09-20-2012, 11:24 AM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BTDT...and the insurance company gave me "NO" hassle in paying the bill...It is all in how the claim is presented. Your comprehensive coverage will result in a claim payment for accidental damage to your truck outside of a collision. It should not matter how the "accidental" damage occurred. My carrier understood that going after the fuel company was a wild goose chase. Ford, shameful in their handling of the case, actually provided the information necessary to validate a comprehensive insurance claim. Ford's unwavering position that water in the fuel was the cause of the failure was what the insurance company needed to know to qualify the damage as accidental. How the water got there was not important as long as an owner did not intentionally contaminate the fuel...hence accidental...

There was no argument from the insurance company...they paid the claim less the deductible and no reimbursement for lost fuel...

Most here know the real story so I will leave it untold...

Regards

Old 09-20-2012, 01:59 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
I DID get mine covered under the vandalism clause on my 6.0 -
to the tune of only $5k or so though....

So you are correct, too much info is not good.... (even though I save all my fuel receipts for a few weeks)

Old 09-20-2012, 04:50 PM
KC8QVO
Cargo Master
Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I was not too happy when I got off the phone with my agent the other day, but I was pleasant on the phone and tried to be as informative as I could be. In any event, this gives me a bit more ammo.

Rick, I did follow your "thread". I do appreciate your appearance here as well. I just was curious how the process went and wording. I sincerely hope none of us have to go through it, but I thought I would try to have some peace of mind by talking to my insurance company. Maybe I was out of my mind

Old 09-20-2012, 06:40 PM
FTE Herman
Post Fiend
I can only add that when I presented my *agent* with the same question, she seemed as dumbfounded as yours. My *adjuster* simply stated it would be covered under comp - no questions asked.

Old 09-20-2012, 06:48 PM
Nipperdog
Elder User
I spoke to Geico directly concerning bad fuel damage, not through an agent. They claim that they will cover what the factory warranty will not, under the mechanical breakdown clause.

Old 09-20-2012, 07:54 PM
bridge
Sick 'n Tired
Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Nipperdog
I spoke to Geico directly concerning bad fuel damage, not through an agent. They claim that they will cover what the factory warranty will not, under the mechanical breakdown clause.
I was wondering about that. It's only $11/month to add the mechanical breakdown clause to my GEICO poilcy. Thinking its well worth the price and peace of mind...if it wasn't just GEICO lipservice.

Old 09-20-2012, 08:00 PM
huntindog
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the Gieco MBI as well on my Dmax. I figure that for the cost, it'll let me sleep good at night.
When I last discussed this online, Gieco was the only carrier that offered it. Perhaps others do now.
I also remember that the fella I was talking to back then was paying 2-3 times more for his Ford's MBI as I was for my Chevy. It was still really cheap though. Without looking it up, I think I pay around 20.00 for 6 months. Although in a perfect world, I shouldn't need to pay extra for this coverage, I **** away a lot more than that.

Ricatic: Good to see you're still around and kicking!

Old 09-20-2012, 11:34 PM
Chad149
Lead Driver
Received 507 Likes on 171 Posts
I have never had bad and or contaminated fuel claims get denied on my service customers here in Michigan, even though its pretty obvious its the fuel stations fault (come in on the hook with a full tank and fuel reciept with wet ink). One company (I forget which one sorry) bought a complete engine a fews years ago when customer put gas in their diesel, resulting detonation bent a rod.

Old 09-21-2012, 11:10 AM
donovan
Laughing Gas
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
Thank you

I just added it to my GEICO policy for both the f350 and the VW Passat.

The link to GEICO is below. Its only good for the 7 years 100,000 miles but it covers all items, cheaper then my extended warrenty.

http://www.geico.com/getaquote/auto/...own-insurance/