1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

amsoil by pass filter

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 07:10 PM
F6Guy
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
amsoil by pass filter

when I got my truck going a few years back I ran the stock filter for the first three years and I noticed the oil turned black rather quickly and when I changed the oil the center of the drain plug was always full of sludge. The engine had been rebuilt by the previous owner but then sat up for the next 15 years before I got it running I assume when it was rebult the crank plugs were not removed and the crank properly cleaned because when I changed the intake and head gaskets the lifter valley was pretty clean. Any how I installed an amsoil eabp 110 bypass filter in place of the stock one and noticed that my oil is staying cleaner alot longer and after a couple oil changes the drain plug no longer has sludge in it. I changed the filter for the first time after a years run time. I cut it open and could not believe all the sludge and crap in it! Well worth the investment in my opinion. FYI the filter is rated at 97% efficient at 2 microns and holds 2 quarts.

Old 09-14-2012, 09:33 PM
Samsn4
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is it a direct spin on unit?

Old 09-15-2012, 08:01 AM
F6Guy
Elder User
yes it is. the kit came with all the hoses and fittings as well. they do offer 1 quart filter sizes as well as a heavy duty and light duty version of the adapter unit. I think they recommend changing the by pass filter every six months or something like that. I dont drive my truck every day so I just figured I would change it yearly and change my oil like I usally do. I also noticed I did not mention the engine. Its flathead v8 in a 51 f6. But the filter can be used on anything really

Old 09-15-2012, 10:01 AM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by F6Guy
when I got my truck going a few years back I ran the stock filter for the first three years and I noticed the oil turned black rather quickly and when I changed the oil the center of the drain plug was always full of sludge. The engine had been rebuilt by the previous owner but then sat up for the next 15 years before I got it running I assume when it was rebult the crank plugs were not removed and the crank properly cleaned because when I changed the intake and head gaskets the lifter valley was pretty clean. Any how I installed an amsoil eabp 110 bypass filter in place of the stock one and noticed that my oil is staying cleaner alot longer and after a couple oil changes the drain plug no longer has sludge in it. I changed the filter for the first time after a years run time. I cut it open and could not believe all the sludge and crap in it! Well worth the investment in my opinion. FYI the filter is rated at 97% efficient at 2 microns and holds 2 quarts.
Is there any reason why you chose the 2 qt EABP110 filter? It looks like it is designed to work with a 21 qt crankcase vs the 1 qt EABP90 that is designed for a 5 qt system.

I also see that it is supposed to be used "in conjunction with the engine’s full-flow oil filter". I'll leave it to some on here that are more experienced with flathead engine building but I think that if you replaced the stock filter with this you might have an oil starvation problem under certain condition? Chime in guys . . .

Attached Images  
Old 09-16-2012, 09:18 AM
F6Guy
Elder User
I chose the two quart for the extra capacity. I figured an extra quart of oil cant hurt to bad. I recall gm used 2 quart filters in thier medium duty gas burners for a long time. being a bypass filter it drains directly in the oil pan and does not feed the oil galleys so oil starvation is not an issue. a bypass filter is the only type of filter the truck came with and as it does not pose a oil starvation issue so it can filter much smaller particles because only a small amount of oil is being filtered at a time. The factory bypass filter is rated around 25 micron