Blinking OD Off light.

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 03:30 PM
Christof13T
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Blinking OD Off light.

So...
The motor has no issues that i didnt already know about. Motorbug now has the great gobs of go that its factory powerstroke came with. With no Lucas in my oil... i have pretty much a steady rpm climb during a WOT run. Im definitely seeing increased response on the boost gauge... but im still maxing out at 12psi going up a hill... these issues however are secondary to this new issue.

With the truck warm... from start off... meaning put it in drive and start moving... no issues at all. I accelerate with no issues and it seems to be getting up to speed normally... if not a little better than before...
1-2 is normal
2-3 is normal
3-4 seems to take a little longer than it was and about half way before it shifts into 4th the od light starts flashing. Once it starts it doesnt shut off until i go thru the process of shutting down and restarting.

I should also point out that i have no speedo or odometer currently due to the rain, and my previously failed attempt at sealing the leak with silly cones.

And to correct my memory...
Is it the pcm or the gem that gets water in it and makes the truck act possessed?
In addition to the speedo and odo being dead... my power door locks act like a ghost is fiddling with the switches... and the seat belt light/dinger and the airbag light/dinger were kind of randomly coming on... which really spooks me. Would hate for the airbag to surprise me like a 70mph jack in a box of doom!

It also seems like im not dropping into overdrive... i was at 2500rpm to keep up with 70mph traffic. Normally ill be at 2100-2200 rpm at that speed.

Could i have jostled something loose when i pulled/reinstalled the motor?
Is between 3rd and 4th when the tc is supposed to lock up?
Something simple like connecter semi unseated or something?
This does not show symptoms of the od button leads chaffing in the column. It only starts blinking between the 3-4 shift. And it does it every time.

I dont wanna buy a new tranny.
I dont wanna buy a new jw tranny.
A new jw tranny would just look terrible on motorbug...

Thanks in advance you guys.

Xtof

Old 09-14-2012, 04:15 PM
Scottys-350
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a problem with OD light awile back, but mine wouldnt do it when in motion, I would stop at a red light and when I went to take off it would start blinking and missing. I replaced my rear speed sensor (on rear end) and it hasnt done it since. Ive heard that sometimes you can just clean the connection and it will fix it

Old 09-14-2012, 04:35 PM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Both the PCM and the GEM can get water intrusion due to windshield leaks. The GEM is more likely suspect based on your other issues.

The VSS in the rear diff is where the speed signal is picked up. It could be an issue, but I think you might have a further issue.

Sounds like your TC isn't locking up personally. That can happen as well if the PCM isn't seeing a good speed signal.

Any way to pull codes? That would be the first direction to help pinpoint where you need to look.

Old 09-14-2012, 04:59 PM
Christof13T
Postmaster
No way to read the codes yet. I dont trust the irish... and know vato zone cant read them.
The pcm not seeing speed sensor signal makes sense... speedo being dead and all. Maybe i should go out now while its raining and track down the water source.

Xtof

Old 09-14-2012, 06:21 PM
landmobile
Senior User
Can't help too much with the OD light, but I'm glad to hear your part of the country is finally getting some rain

Chris

Old 09-14-2012, 06:45 PM
Christof13T
Postmaster
Originally Posted by landmobile
Can't help too much with the OD light, but I'm glad to hear your part of the country is finally getting some rain

Chris
Yup. Ill gladly deal with screwy electricals... we need the rain.

Xtof

Old 09-14-2012, 07:06 PM
MV7
Freshman User
Had same OD light flash after "event"

I had the same OD light flash after an "event". Backing up underload (up a hill over a curb). Suddenly, rpm drop. Immediately took my foot off pedal... OD light flashing on and off. It did this a few times and then "tho'ed code". Checked codes with a friend's scanner -- P0722 "Output Shaft Speed Sensor No Signal" and P0720 "Sensor Circuit Fault". This happened at about the time I had some batts about to die. I heard low batt volts can cause some funkiness. Replaced batts. Codes came right back. Pulled connector at back of transmission, put battery terminal grease on each of the pins and put back together. Drove with codes for maybe a week... light went out has not done come back on since. Have not checked sensor at the chunk yet. Will soon.
I am GUESSING since you have done major work there might be some grounding issues. With so much going you described I'd check grounding points.

Old 09-15-2012, 06:14 PM
Christof13T
Postmaster
So...

I went out and checked all my fuses. They are all ok but there are 2 fuses in the middle bank that arent getting power to either side. The 2 15amp ones. Also checked the fuses under the hood and they are all ok.

Got irritated and decided to pull the gem out. Took it apart and it looks perfect inside. No moisture, no burned components, and all the ic's look ok...(no signs of heat stress or burnout)

The fuse block however shows corrosion at the base of a few of the blades in the connector housing that sits closest to the fender.

When i unplug the 2 harness connectors from the gem while it is still tied into the fuse block with its harness attached... it makes hard drive clicking noises. Pulling the fuse block harness connection that is toward the cab... the clicking stops ...

So... i know the gem was acting screwy due to the crazy locks and radio power... but.
Could that short have fried my vss?
Is the cruise control dependant on vss signal in order to come on?
With no corrosion in the gem... is it more likely the issue is in the corroded fuse block?

Xtof

Old 09-15-2012, 06:32 PM
1fixitman
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you have no vss then cc will not function.

Old 09-15-2012, 06:55 PM
Christof13T
Postmaster
Ok.
So i got really irritated that i couldnt find the leak.
After a partial headliner removal... i found THEM. The leaks are coming from the roof lights. water is getting in under the rubber and dripping straight down the back of the connectors. It pools there until it spills over. Found the one hiding under my overhead c first. Then the farthest drivers side.
I have the water diverted to the floorboard till the rain stops... then im sealing them up like an H2s site.

I just really hope my gem is ok... and the fuse block.

Xtof

Old 09-15-2012, 07:39 PM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Seal up your leaks, clean all the corroded terminals, and maybe add some dielectric grease, I bet you will be fine then.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:16 PM
Christof13T
Postmaster
So a replacement fuse panel is in my future. Unless its normal for both the 15A fuses in the middle row have no juice going to them.

Anybody got a diagram for which fuse is for what? I dont have a panel cover for my motorbug... but the one in my beast has a diagram.

Xtof

Old 09-15-2012, 08:20 PM
Christof13T
Postmaster
Just a thought... but could i just jump power over to the dead circuit with a spade shoved in the port with the fuse from one of te good circuits also housing a 15A?

Xtof

Old 09-16-2012, 09:08 AM
tomspear
Freshman User
According to my 2000 F250 owner's Guide the middle row contains fuses 12 thru 21. From top to bottom they are 15, 20, 10, 5, 15, Not Used, Not Used, 10, 15, Not Used. It is possible that someone has moved fuses around, or put in the wrong value fuse. The top 15A fuse (fuse 12) is for the horn, the 5th one down (fuse 16) is "Instrument cluster and Hi Beam", and the 9th one down (remember the bottom one is "Not Used") (fuse 20) is "starter motor relay coil". So if your horn works and you have high beam and the truck starts, I wouldn't worry about it...

Old 09-19-2012, 12:59 PM
Christof13T
Postmaster
Ok... so the 2 fuse circuits i thought might have a problem both test good.
Headlight high beams #16
Starter #20

So does that mean my gem is toast?
Still no speedo or overdrive or cruise control.
How likely is it that my vss went out?
This only happened after the rain and when it happened a few months ago the speedo just up and started working again after a few dry days.

Is there a test procedure for the gem and fuse box?
I still have it semi loose so i could put it on a bench if need be.

If i do have to replace it what is the procedure to deal with the programming?
The plan is to drive motorbug to Port Townsend, Wa in right at 4 weeks from now.
I dont want to have to take the Fusion.

Items remaining that MUST be dealt with before the trip...
This little electrical gremlin.
Rearend gears swapped to lengthen her legs a bit. (Thinking 3.73)
Track down my boost leak ( on todays list )
Get the crack on my in bed tank welded up ( maybe also today )

I feel like everything else is good ( until winter is over and a/c is required)
Its already cooling down a bit down here so im sure we will be fine rolling the windows down for the trip.

Xtof

Quick Reply: Blinking OD Off light.