1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

"New" 85 F150 4X4 - Duraspark, Carb, Exhaust, Etc - Getting it Running Right

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 11:10 PM
doch4m
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"New" 85 F150 4X4 - Duraspark, Carb, Exhaust, Etc - Getting it Running Right

Howdy all,

Doug here from Westminster, MD.

The long story short.... Just picked up an 85 F150 4X4 for a song ($350!). 114K, 300 I Six, 4 Spd w Granny gear. A good bit of rust around the rear fenders, but only a little rust on the cab. I registered it as a farm truck, so no inspection or emissions.

Took a small risk, as it was not running at purchase. My mechanic charged the battery, and primed the fuel system, and now it's running, but roughly, very rich. Mechanic and PO said carb was rough, gunked, etc.

Took it for a spin today, and all seems solid. Went to a gravel road, and played with the 4X4, worked great in hi and lo. Here it is in my yard.

I've done research, and want to get it running good. I think I have the feedback carb system. Can anyone tell from these pics?

I am thinking Duraspark ignition, non-feedback carb, new distributor and cap, new plugs and air filter, and also a new head gasket as there is an oil leak from up top.

For the exhaust, the Cat has been removed prior to me. The muffler has a few holes, but everything else looks solid. I plan on taking and posting pics as I go, and keeping this as a running thread so others now and in the future can follow along.

Under the hood...

Here are my priorities. 1) Simple and reliable. 2) Relative ease of install. 3) Fuel efficient.

Without further adieu, here are the first of many questions...

1) Is it agreed that I have the dreaded feedback carb system?

2) Can some or all the duraspark components be purchased, new or reman, from an online place, or do I need to scour junkyards? The carb?

3) Where is my coil, and do I need a new one?

4) Will having no Cat pose any problems?

5) How much of the wiring/vacuum lines around the motor can I do away with?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Doug

Old 09-11-2012, 11:47 PM
john165
Freshman User
That is one lucky find! Congrats!

I would start off by checking to see what codes/if any your computer may have.

It is a feedback system, but I can tell you that carb is really easy to rebuild. You shouldnt have any problems cleaning it up. I have rebuilt mine twice with ease. Btw since the truck wasnt running, how long had it been sitting? You may need to clean the gas tank also in addition to the carb.

If you go to a Duraspark swap, what you gonna do with the feedback system and EEC-IV? Your wire harness will have to be got from the junkyard. I bought a New Distributor and Carb from Advance for the swap which I havent done yet. Your dizzy will have to be recurved if you dont re-do the egr with the Duraspark swap.

Link to checking EEC-IV for codes. http://oldfuelinjection.com/?p=13

Last edited by john165; 09-11-2012 at 11:50 PM. Reason: Forgot the link to code check
Old 09-12-2012, 10:37 AM
1986F150six
Lead Driver
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Question #3... the coil is mounted to the engine just to the left of the distributor. Follow the lead (wire) from the center of the distributor cap.

Old 09-12-2012, 09:19 PM
Galendor
Posting Guru

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by doch4m

1) Is it agreed that I have the dreaded feedback carb system?

2) Can some or all the duraspark components be purchased, new or reman, from an online place, or do I need to scour junkyards? The carb?

3) Where is my coil, and do I need a new one?

4) Will having no Cat pose any problems?

5) How much of the wiring/vacuum lines around the motor can I do away with?

Doug
1) Yes you have the feedback system, albeit a quite dirty one. Your system looks to me to be fully intact, not missing any components that I can see. That is something to consider before deciding to dismantle it. Usually folks dismantle it if it has already been hacked up by a previous owner. Its not a bad system if intact and working properly.

2) Under the "Tech Tips" at the beginning of the forum are links to several full discussions on the DSII swap. You can buy everything new except the wiring harness. Or you can junkyard-acquire, or a mixture of both.

3) Coil is a black cylinder mounted on the driver's side of the engine. One of the spark plug wires leads to it.

4) Not any problems your truck will realize. Your truck computer has no sensor to detect whether or not a cat is there (oxygen sensor is upstream of the cat).

5) None of them, if you keep your existing feedback system. Or many of them, if you do a proper DSII swap.

Old 09-12-2012, 09:49 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Yes, the Sticky has I think 3 good threads on DSII swaps on 6-bangers.

Ya know... When I was looking at the table of contents on this forum, and looked at the thread I was about to go read next, for an author, my mind saw....

douche4me

Old 09-12-2012, 10:03 PM
Galendor
Posting Guru

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Nice looking truck by the way. Welcome to the forum! Whatever you decide to do, the folks here will help. You have done a good job taking good quality pictures to go along with your questions.

If you do end up replacing your current carburetor, keep the little metal tag hanging off the passenger side front corner of the carb. And maybe post here whatever writing is on that little tag! I would personally like to have that info (my tag is missing).

Old 09-13-2012, 10:18 PM
doch4m
New User
Thanks for all of the replys. Much appreciated!

Been doing more thinking and more reading. Trying to figure out whether to just try to rebuild the feedback carb or try the DS swap.

My decision may have just been made as I just purchased an 80 carb and entire DS system (harness, coil, brain box, distributor) from a forum member.

What would be involved in rebuilding the current carb? Would I need to buy a kit (where from, how much)?

Will keep everyone posted and take lots of pictures when I get started. It's going to be 2 weeks till I can get started.

Please keep posting any and all thoughts and comments. I'll have lots of questions as we proceed.

ctubutis - Thanks for the welcome. I think.

Galendor - Will post the tag info when I get the carb off.

Thanks again!

Doug

Old 09-26-2012, 09:51 PM
doch4m
New User
OK, back to work. Thanks to a forum member, I purchased a wiring harness, distributor, cap, rotor, coil, box, and non-fb carb. Thanks WB!

No turning back now, as I have removed the old fb carb. Galendor, I will post the info from that carb in a day or two.

My goal is to remove all the wiring and vacuum stuff, and leave only the minimum to have it running well.

Lots of questions with pics. This round, just working on the carb. Will be plenty more questions when I get to work on the Duraspark stuff.

Here is what arrived at the house.

Here is the start of the removal and then what it looks like with the fb carb gone. Had to remove a bunch of wiring and a few vacuum hoses.

Another post coming with all my "what is this?" and "do I need that?" questions.

Thanks!

Old 09-26-2012, 10:06 PM
doch4m
New User
OK, now the questions begin. Thanks in advance for all your help! Again, trying to do away with anything unnecessary, just what it needs to run well.

Q1 - Is this the main vacuum manifold? Will all my vacuum lines start here?

Q2 - What is this? Do I need to hook it up or connect that wire?

Q3 - Is this part of the fb system, and can I remove it (at some point)?

Placed the new old non-fb carb on the manifold. Looks better already!

Q4 - What is this? Do I need to connect this wire to something?

Q5 - Carb, Passenger/Right side. Are these three ports all vacuum? Do I need to connect them all to the vacuum system/manifold?

Q6 - Drivers/Left side. What is this nipple for? It is plastic, not metal like the ones on the right.

Q7 - Drivers/Left plastic fender. Are these the connectors that I will plug and play the Duraspark stuff into?

That's all for now. Should get me through my next hour or two. Thanks again for your help!

My plan is to get the carb configured, and then work on the Duraspark stuff.

Doug

Old 09-27-2012, 07:26 AM
doch4m
New User
Anyone?!

Thanks!

Doug

Old 09-27-2012, 08:27 AM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
I would strongly suggest you first do some reading & investigation (homework) before taking things apart. Also, label what you've already taken apart - what hose went where.

Look for the Duraspark swap info in the sticky at the top of the forum, there are at least 3 threads with pictures that answer all your questions.

Old 09-27-2012, 10:13 AM
doch4m
New User
ctubutis,

Thanks. I have done a good bit of reading and research. I think the DS install is well documented, but my immediate need is help with the carb. I have searched, but cannot find, info on my specific carb questions.

Please point me to threads with carb info, if you know of any.

Thanks!

Doug

Old 09-27-2012, 12:53 PM
1986F150six
Lead Driver
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by doch4m
ctubutis,

Thanks. I have done a good bit of reading and research. I think the DS install is well documented, but my immediate need is help with the carb. I have searched, but cannot find, info on my specific carb questions.

Please point me to threads with carb info, if you know of any.

Thanks!

Doug
The top vacuum port is originally connected by a red rubber hose to a piece of metal tubing which is inserted in the bottom of the exhaust manifold by cylinders #5 & 6. At the top of the manifold there is another metal tube, covered with an insulating sleeve, which then connects to the threaded fitting on the choke housing. This supplies filtered and heated air to the choke housing which then causes the coiled metalic spring inside the housing to expand. The expansion and contraction [when cooled] of the spring is what moves the choke plate. There is a very small port inside the choke housing which supplies engine vacuum, thereby drawing this heated air into the housing. That is why the replacement air comes through the top vacuum port [to be filtered].

The middle vacuum port is above the throttle plate, so there is no vacuum at idle. This port is to be attached to a vacuum hose which is then attached to the cannister on the distributor to advance timing when at cruise speed. This helps in getting the best miles per gallon.

The bottom vacuum port is below the throttle plate and has vacuum all the time [manifold vacuum]. I believe this will be attached to something regarding emmission control. Since you are in the process of removing the emmissions [I believe], you can just put a suitable cap on this port.

I hope this helps in getting you started.

Old 09-27-2012, 02:39 PM
doch4m
New User
1986F150six,

Thank you! Just the info I needed!

I found the red rubber hose/metal tubing, hooked it to the top port.

Here is a pic, with elementary school crayons for clarification.

Red arrow - Red hose/metal tube to exhaust manifold.

Green arrow - Will cap off.

Blue arrow - Vacuum tubing to distributor port.

Sound/look correct? Does the distributor create its own vacuum?

Thanks again, appreciate everyone's patience.

I am no mechanic, but I feel like I can get this done, with your help!

Doug

Old 09-27-2012, 02:41 PM
doch4m
New User
And, next, can anyone help me with "what are these, do I need them"?

Red arrow - I am assuming I need to cap off all the unused vac ports?

Green arrow - What is this on the carb/do I need to connect the wire
somewhere?

Blue Arrow - What is this/do I need to connect the wire somewhere?

Thanks again.

Doug

Quick Reply: "New" 85 F150 4X4 - Duraspark, Carb, Exhaust, Etc - Getting it Running Right