1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Axle Seal removal in steering knuckle

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 07:10 PM
john wright
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Axle Seal removal in steering knuckle

Im partway through replacing ball joints on my 2006 4x4 F250 and have gotten all the way to the point of trying to remove the axle through the steering knuckle on the passenger side. What little information I have been able to find says to use a brass drift or similar tool to remove the seal from the knuckle by driving it out of the from the rear of the assembly. Problem is.....it isnt moving and Im increasingly concerned that I might trash or destroy something in the process. Anyone done this before...have any suggestions....should I just keep pinging away until something moves and is this process going to destroy the old seal anyway I go?

Old 09-09-2012, 09:19 AM
Headviking
Posting Guru

I just finished replacing mine yesterday. To pull the axle out with the bearing/seal. You need two large bry bars, about 24in long. Get a grip behind the u-jounts and pry the axle out. It's better if you have help. It will pop out with a loud pop sound. That's how mine went. The seal into the axle housing will need to be replace after this most likely. Part number AC3Z-1S175-A. It's the new upgraded seal. Looks completely different.

Old 09-09-2012, 01:10 PM
john wright
New User
Another question

the youtube videos Ive located and most of the helpful hints found in FTE are directed towards an older model of the f250 than mine. You are the first to respond about the correct model. All the older ones have a retainer "C" clip and several washers but mine only had the one large "C" clip on the axle. There were no washers......is this correct for the 2006 model? I was also concerned because it appears there might be more than one seal/gasket on the axle in the hub. Could you enlighten me regarding that?

Old 09-09-2012, 10:56 PM
Headviking
Posting Guru

Your right there is only 1 C ring/snap ring. I found no washers either. I think it is because our 4x4 the electronic on the fly type.
There is a big seal/bearing attached (pressed) onto the axle within the hub. By using two pry bars. One on each side behind the hub on the axle. You will pop the axle withe seal/bearing out. If it works like mine did. The seal/bearing will not need replacement. If they do tear, the cost is high.
When prying out the axle you may need another person to help.

Old 09-16-2012, 07:46 PM
john wright
New User
Saga continues

Well I thought you might be interested in knowing I finally got that seal out....I built the apparatus as suggested on page 7 of the forum for replacing ball joints. I found out that it works well once you make certain that no part of the emerging axle is touching the cutout of the hole you are suppossed to make to push the axle through!! Anyways....I got the axle shaft out and have progressed along till I only have the top ball joint to get out. I ran out of daylight and was worn out by the time I finished making all of the homemade tool and then finally getting the axle out. Once I get the top balljoint out I will clean everything up....hopefully get the new ones pressed in....and then reassemble everything. Im going to get a new axle tube seal but I think the hub seal...the big rubber one...is good to fit right back in. Then I have to fabricate the seal press from the pipe pieces as listed in the thread. I will let you know how it progresses. This is not one of my biggest such projects...but it ranks right up there with replacing a transmission and other such fun stuff. Thanks again for your help.

Old 09-17-2012, 03:07 AM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
The seal driver is different than the earlier leaf spring trucks

Old 09-17-2012, 12:07 PM
Headviking
Posting Guru

Before you put the axle back in. Make sure you clean the rubber ring well. Rub some axle grease around the rubber ring just to make it insert easier. It will seal better too. To put the seat back into the axle tub. I just litely tapped it in with a ball ping hammer. The seated it nicely. It worked for me.
One more thing clean out the axle tub as good as you can, as far in as you can. I did and I will be changing the oil soon as well.
Hope it all goes back together for you as well as it did for me.
Remember ther is no left over parts.

Old 09-17-2012, 04:05 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
The axle tube has a seal at the differential to keep the oil in. The outer axle tube seal is just a dust seal.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:31 PM
john wright
New User
I've gotten the bottom ball joint out but the upper one is being stubborn. I found out about that inner oil seal so that was not a problem for me. Been trying to find the new outer axle tube seal to replace the joke of an OER seal that just was dangling there beforehand. That huge seal is still good because there is only 70k miles on the truck and it came out looking new. At least when I tackle the other side, which is still good, I will have experience and all the homemade tools to start with. Thanks to all who have contributed to my project!

Old 09-17-2012, 09:34 PM
john wright
New User
Should I take the large hub seal off of the axle shaftbjustbto take it off or simply reinsertbitafter cleaning and prepping it?

Old 09-20-2012, 11:29 AM
john wright
New User
Question

Ive decided to put a new gasket on the axle tube AND the big seal on the backside of the steering knuckle/hub. Should the seal be pressed into the opening first and then the axle inserted through it or should the seal be placed on the axle shaft and then pressed into place by the axle being reinserted?

Old 09-20-2012, 12:11 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
The seal goes on the axle stub first.

Old 09-20-2012, 02:47 PM
john wright
New User
gratitude

Thanks for your assistance......