1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

What do I use to.....?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2003, 11:18 AM
Kecky
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What do I use to.....?

My stock 223 6cylinder hasn't been run in 10+ years. I've pulled the pistons as it turns out the wrist pin in #3 cylinder was partilally seized. This has now been fixed and my problem now is how to get the rings unstuck from the pistons. It sat for so long they are glued into the pistons. I've tried regular gasoline and solvent. Can I use a brass brush on the sides of the pistons to loosen the crud without wrecking the walls of the pistons??? Should I try to get them hot tanked or something? I am trying to just freshen up the engine without doing a rebuild as I am going to replace it anyway. It turns out the cylinders are already 0.60 over and the crank has been turned 0.010 undersize. I know I should just throw it out and get my replacement engine but right now I have more time than money so I don't mind futzing with it to see if I can get it to run more or less o.k.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Kevin

Old 05-15-2003, 01:31 PM
51dueller
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
What do I use to.....?

Have you tried diesel? it allowed me to get my stuck brakes apart.

Old 05-15-2003, 02:51 PM
Big Hands
Senior User
What do I use to.....?

We have used Marvel Mystery Oil in many cases like this. Also a producter called Rust Eater, comes in a yellow and rust red colored can. We resurrected a 348 chebby for a friend that had been buried for 20 years and when we put the rust eater on it, we got some oil out of the valve train.

Don't punch, gouge, pry or do anything that will scar or gouge the walls. We usually let the marvel mystery or rust eater sit for about 2 weeks, then things usually loosen up very well.

Good luck

Hands

Old 05-15-2003, 03:48 PM
ferguson777
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What do I use to.....?

Many good suggestions already...

Do not use that brass brush.

There is a thread (I think it's in the tips and workshop section) on using a mixture of water and molasses to disolve rust and crud. I have no personal experience with it at all but it might be TOO HARSH for this purpose.

Old 05-16-2003, 12:35 AM
Kecky
Mountain Pass
What do I use to.....?

Thanks for the suggestions. i looked for both "Rust Eater" and "Marvel Mystery oil" today but the parts store didn't have it. They might not sell it up north here. Will keep looking.

Thanks again.

Kevin

Old 05-16-2003, 11:23 AM
laynrubber
Elder User
What do I use to.....?

I have hear that diesel fuel works, never tried it though. What we use at work is a penetrating oil called Silikroil. Worked for me several times. Not sure where we get it.

Old 05-16-2003, 01:33 PM
cobraguy
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What do I use to.....?

OK here's a strange one that worked. An old timer I know tinkered with old hit-miss engines he swore by putting the piston in a two litre coke bottle with the top cut off full of Coke and let it soak a couple of weeks. I said "Bullchevy" until he showed me one day. By gosh it worked. Good luck, Rich
P.S. just imagine what that stuff does to your guts.

Old 05-16-2003, 02:05 PM
51dueller
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
What do I use to.....?

The acid in your stomach is a LOT stonger than the coke and your saliva dilutes most of the acid in the coke anyway. A little off topic but hey.

Old 05-16-2003, 07:28 PM
57_ford
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What do I use to.....?

BP blaster works well. It's the magic spray in a can that has all the crazey wrighting all over it.

Old 05-16-2003, 11:17 PM
Kecky
Mountain Pass
What do I use to.....?

Rich, thanks for reminding me about our "favourite" soft drink. I forgot about the multi purpose uses the of the "magic elixir". Reminded me of an email I received about "Coke vs Water". One of the comments about it was that State Troopers carry it in their cruisers to wash blood stains off the roadways....

I have put the liquid to use tonight to see if it can free my frozen rings. Not sure if I want to wait two weeks but I quess I must have "patience grasshopper".

I'm still curious to see the results of the molasses and water solution that was referred to on another thread. Don't think I could get away with such a smelly solution cooking in my garage though.

I'm going to keep an eye out for the various products mentioned but either I'm going to the wrong store or they're not sold in Canada.

Thanks again.

Kevin

Last edited by Kecky; 05-16-2003 at 11:19 PM.
Old 05-17-2003, 01:00 AM
Kurt G.
Laughing Gas
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
What do I use to.....?

I Know this sound corny, but have you tried WD 40. At work we've used it get alloy rims off trucks and cars, it works well. Here in Washongton our winter months asr mild compaired to some places but the alloy builds corrosion between the rim and axle and WD 40 disolves it. Remember how well it get the rusty off nuts and bolts off? I wish you luck in you quest for ring removale. Kurt Y-blocks rule.