Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cheap rust repair lots and lots of pics

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 09:24 PM
fordka
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
cheap rust repair lots and lots of pics

Dug my little can of bondo out and started my work. Didnt have a plastic scraper so i used a paint stur stick and a piece of plastic board for my mixing board. This is hard to work with and dries quick. I just started big globs and smoothed them out. It would run and then would go through the holes and id have to recover it. I did both rear fenders and a hole on pside cab floor. I had to mix up like 4 things of this it took a lot. The dside fended and cab hole look the worst but the pside fender looks pretty good. I hope when i sand it looks a little better and dont expose the wholes again but dont stick out a mile more than it should.
<!-- / message --><!-- attachments --><FIELDSET class=fieldset><LEGEND>Attached Thumbnails</LEGEND>

</FIELDSET>

For my sander im using a grinder with an abbrassive disk and doing the final prep with a 320 grit round sanding disc used for a air sander but just doing it by hand. I painted the bootom edges of the box and stuff as some quick rust fighters here and there before it starts to rot. 1-2 coats of galvinized primer 1-2 coats or rubber undercoating and 2-3 coats of this cheap red that dont spray on evenly. Your all probly gonna frown upon not using the right red. <!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->
<FIELDSET class=fieldset><LEGEND>Attached Thumbnails</LEGEND>

</FIELDSET>

Well i got both fenders done then i came up with an awsome paint scheem. Paint the bottom edge of the panels the bright red. It looks awsome what do you think. <!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->

</FIELDSET>

Well outside is all done started working on the pside floor. Sanded rust galvinized it rubbered it and did a little red paint almost done. Then to the dside
<!-- / message --><!-- attachments --><FIELDSET class=fieldset><LEGEND>Attached Thumbnails</LEGEND>

</FIELDSET>

I finished the pside floor started working on dside <!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->
</FIELDSET>

Finished up the the pside almost done with dside. There are like 3 cracks and rusted holes on dside. Probly shoulda bondoed them up but i didnt. Almost done

</FIELDSET>

Finally done with paint and all its finally out in the fresh air lookin good.

</FIELDSET>
well guys tell me what you think.

Old 08-30-2012, 10:03 PM
BigBlueOx
Posting Guru
Looks like you got it to turn out looking good.
You should spray the rest bright red.

Old 08-31-2012, 01:09 AM
bigpapa1987
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
not a bad job . just a word of advice . bondo only covers rust and it will soon show threw again . and anywhere you filled in holes its going to brake and pop out on ruff roads or it gets cold out . the only way to get rid of rust is to cut it out and weld in new metal . but it looks good

Old 08-31-2012, 05:20 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
What a COMPLETE waste of time. Bondo is to fill MINOR surface imperfections, NOT fill holes from ROT.

And really, you couldn't even pull the 5 screws to remove the wheel well trim?

Old 08-31-2012, 08:37 AM
fordka
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
What a COMPLETE waste of time. Bondo is to fill MINOR surface imperfections, NOT fill holes from ROT.

And really, you couldn't even pull the 5 screws to remove the wheel well trim?
Is that all you do is critisize everybody i never ever hear you say anything good about anybody. And no the fricken screws would no come out dont matter the trim is oxidized holes in it too from the salt and yes i sanded all the rust down before whats it to you its my truck if i want to do it i can. What you gonna come and slap cuffs on me because i put a little bondo over rot holes. To every body else that commeted thanks i really appretiate it

Old 08-31-2012, 10:33 AM
mredington
Cross-Country
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by fordka
Is that all you do is critisize everybody i never ever hear you say anything good about anybody. And no the fricken screws would no come out dont matter the trim is oxidized holes in it too from the salt and yes i sanded all the rust down before whats it to you its my truck if i want to do it i can. What you gonna come and slap cuffs on me because i put a little bondo over rot holes. To every body else that commeted thanks i really appretiate it
I don't think Brad was trying to tell you what to do to your truck but you did ask for comments and Brad gave you his comment. He was rude about it and he tends to be rude on here a lot. If you read a build thread by Brad I think you will start to see his point of view though. Brad buys trucks that appear to be in decent shape and then builds them up to where they are better than anything you could buy on the showroom floor. It's really interesting to see the steps he goes through. If your bondo works for you more power to you. It probably looks better than you had before. It probably won't last long in some of the spots that you have put it though. I love to watch people do cheap fixes because sometimes they come up with ideas that really work pretty well.

Old 08-31-2012, 10:37 AM
fordka
Cargo Master
Well thanks that makes that makes sence to me now it dont look to bad i dont think just hopes it last a while even though right after i did this i found new fender walls on cl

Old 08-31-2012, 11:53 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
After the 1st rain storm, your "fix" will be all blistering and bubbling. That is Not the correct way to repair that.

You should of saved your time and money and just use spray foam.

And you better get used to it. I don't sugar coat nothing, I say it how it is. It is either done right, or it is not. And you did NOT do it right, if anything you made it worse

Old 08-31-2012, 12:05 PM
fordka
Cargo Master
I doubt i made it worse. Ive owned it for a yr and half and when i first got it was sanded down and galvinzed by me. In that yr its been like that there hasnt been a spot of rust since

Old 08-31-2012, 12:28 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
B.S.
The rot starts from the inside and works its way out. You painting the outside with spray gal, did nothing to stop the rust, But you wadding that bondo in there made it worse, now the water has no where to drain to and it will rot the panel faster.

The ONLY way to fix rust is to sandblast it away(aka sandblast the rust away and have a giant hole) or cut it out and replace it with a new panel. There is a reason it is called cancer, it is hard to get rid of and it spreads

Old 08-31-2012, 12:42 PM
White 97 xlt
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Brad is right, you can "cover" it up for a while but it WILL be back!!!!

Time, money, and energy would have been better spent locating the correct materials and knowledge to do it right.. ONCE!!!

Old 08-31-2012, 01:13 PM
leinieman
New User
Hey Fordka don't worry about what others are saying. You did this for yourself and probably had fun doing it! Thats what working on these old trucks is all about! Now sand her down the rest of the way and match the red you already put on her and she will be a nice looking truck!

Leinieman

Old 08-31-2012, 01:16 PM
68fordf100v8
Freshman User
It's his truck if he wants to bondo it then who cares
looks better then rust holes

Old 08-31-2012, 02:21 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by 68fordf100v8
It's his truck if he wants to bondo it then who cares
looks better then rust holes
That is your opinion

Old 08-31-2012, 02:42 PM
fordka
Cargo Master
Thanks guys for the comments i appretiate it. I do plan to paint the truck blue and white for ford tractor colors when i get a little more time and experience i can understand doing it right if the truck is gonna last forever but im sure it wont as much as i hate to say it.

Quick Reply: cheap rust repair lots and lots of pics