6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

need advise and info on the new fords!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 11:19 AM
acbull
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need advise and info on the new fords!

Looking at getting a slightly used truck here soon. I have mostly been a ford fan except for the 2004 though 2010, I think not sure when the new motor came out. I have pretty much been thinking of the dodge Cummings just cause I trust them. I feel Cummings is a hard motor to beat and once a guy does deletes and programmers they crank out pretty big amounts of HP and tq, while getting up in the high teens for mileage, empty of course. Hate dodge though just haven't been happy with ford in the last few years.
This new 6.7 from ford sounds pretty damn good.
Can you guys direct me to the right thread or tell me on this thread what are some problems and or complaints with these new trucks, if any, and what kinda mileage both loaded and unloaded you are seeing. Needing averaged MPG not, well I've been getting 25 MPG @ 50 MPH. My average speed will be around 70 to 80 on the freeway and 25 to 35 in town. I'm also wondering if there is any benefit or problems in removing the emissions such as the urea system. I want a truck to run as good as it can, not at interested in going green, if you know what I mean. Thanks for any help you all can offer!

Old 08-30-2012, 11:29 AM
acf6
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
What are you getting 25 to 35 mpg in? Certainly cant except that in a full sized truck...

Old 08-30-2012, 11:49 AM
Adventure Rider
Senior User
i am getting 20.2 on the lie-o-meter if I keep the cruise at 70 (GPS says it is 68 )

New to the 6.7 and cant stop smilin'

Old 08-30-2012, 11:58 AM
acbull
Freshman User
Oh no, I don't. Some people claim they get those kinda #'s, IF they truly do it's when they are driving 50 MPH and slower the whole time and keeping the RPM'S really low.
I would hope and like to see one of these trucks get around the 16 to 19 range with a light foot and running empty.

Old 08-30-2012, 12:12 PM
acbull
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Adventure Rider
i am getting 20.2 on the lie-o-meter if I keep the cruise at 70 (GPS says it is 68 )

New to the 6.7 and cant stop smilin'

That's good, I would think. If the lie-o-meter is anywhere close.

Old 08-30-2012, 01:28 PM
2ndStroke
Lead Driver
Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by acbull
Oh no, I don't. Some people claim they get those kinda #'s, IF they truly do it's when they are driving 50 MPH and slower the whole time and keeping the RPM'S really low.
I would hope and like to see one of these trucks get around the 16 to 19 range with a light foot and running empty.
I get about 19/20ish on the highway. Lots of around town driving I can get as low 15.

Old 08-30-2012, 01:54 PM
Adventure Rider
Senior User
That's good, I would think. If the lie-o-meter is anywhere close.
I did a quick half-assed check by comparing trip meter to gallons to fill and came up with 18.3

I got about 70% highway and 30% back road mix - very happy with the milage

Its actually much better than my Frontier was - best I could get there was 16

Old 08-30-2012, 04:27 PM
acbull
Freshman User
If I can get close to these figures I would be real happy.
A friend of mine just told me about 3 guy him and his dad know that at round the 40000 mile mark have had head problems of some kind. Apparently this July or August the problem is suppose to be fixed on the new trucks. Any of you know anything about this issue
Thanks!

Old 08-31-2012, 09:20 AM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If I can get close to these figures I would be real happy.
A friend of mine just told me about 3 guy him and his dad know that at round the 40000 mile mark have had head problems of some kind. Apparently this July or August the problem is suppose to be fixed on the new trucks. Any of you know anything about this issue
Thanks!
The head problem that was mentioned was likely the problem seen almost exclusively in cab/chassis trucks...the good news there is that they have been covered by warranty...

I would be much more concerned about High Pressure Fuel Pump failure...that little episode will cost over $10,000 and Ford will do all things possible to not fix them under warranty...BTDT...

Regards

Old 08-31-2012, 09:39 AM
acbull
Freshman User
So is ford having trouble with there fuel pumps?

Old 08-31-2012, 09:54 AM
Rickx
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vincentric LLC Diesel vs Gas

2012 Ford F-350 Diesel

Overall savings compared to gas-powered F-350: $1,131
Fuel savings: $1,999

Of the seven full-size, heavy-duty diesel pickup trucks Vincentric studied, the Ford F-350 is the only one with five year ownership costs that are lower than that of its gas-powered equivalent.

The Ford F-350 Diesel has a 400-hp 6.7-liter V-8 turbodiesel engine. Although it only has 15 hp more than the gasoline 6.2-liter V-8 also offered in the F-350, it has almost double the torque, at an impressive 800 lb.-ft. What that means in practical terms is that the F-350 Diesel is more capable at towing and hauling heavy loads. It also depreciates less, according to Vincentric, retaining $822 more of its value over five years of ownership than the gas-powered F-350. That and its impressive fuel savings** help the F-350 Diesel overcome its $5,355 higher purchase price* and higher ownership costs, resulting in savings of $1,131 over five years of ownership compared with its gas counterpart.

Old 08-31-2012, 10:03 AM
rblomquist
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Acbull, you need to go over to TDR website and browse around some. Then come back and tell us if you still trust Dodge/Cummins.

There's been this myth that's been going around for decades that Dodge/Cummins trucks are bulletproof, complete hogwash. I owned a 99 Dodge and it was the biggest POS vehicle I've ever owned in my life and 95% of the issues I had were 'common' ones with those vehicles. Multiple auto transmissions in it; pulled to the right; torque converter went into and out of lockup incessantly; rear brakes were nonextistent unless the truck was loaded for bear; Infinity speaker in one of the doors went out; significant death-wobble; dash cracking. I also had a head gasket blow and when it was in the shop the mechanic told me they average about 1 per week (this was back around 02-03 timeframe).

From what I've been reading lately they still have the decade-long issue with lift pumps. Everyone is biotching up a storm about the urine-poor mileage these trucks are getting now and people have, and are still are having issues with Dodge's ECM / PCM.

I'm in the market for a new rig this year and for me there's only 2 choices (GM & Ford). Because I dislike the current nose, hood, and dually fenders, as well as the interiors of the Fords I am seriously leaning toward the GM. I like the interior and exterior of the GMC Sierra, I like the motor and I like the trans however, the main thing holding me back is they are way too high for me to use with my 5ver (without putting a lowering kit on it). I have not much issue with the current Ford motor or transmission, I just hate the looks of the thing now.

Bottom line: Do some real research so you don't end up buying into a myth (like I did 10 years ago).

Old 08-31-2012, 11:44 AM
acbull
Freshman User
That's why I'm here is for research. I agree with you about dodge, I hate the truck I think dodges are big piles, but the cummins motor as been 10 times better then the last few years of fords motors, talking diesel only here. The 6.0 and 6.4 were flat out junk, and I know this first hand with my grandpa having 3 6.0 and 2 6.4. The trucks hold up fine it is the motors that keep giving us problems. Now I'm starting to think that ford as finely got something good here that might actually be a better motor then the cummins. From my experience with several cummins including the 5.9 and 6.7 they are great motors, far better motors then the last 2 ford diesel's. I'm hoping that ford has truly made a come back with this new diesel.
Thanks for the info and the sight you suggested I look at! I will be checking it out very soon!
Oh and as far as Chevy goes. I will never own a Chevy! That is a government owned company now. They did such a ****ty job at running their company that hard working tax payers had to bail them out. Plus as far as there trucks go, they are not made for hard work or play. The frame sits way to low to the ground and the independent front suspension is weak, as way to many moving parts and is very expensive to fix and or lift. 4 wheel drive pick ups should have solid axles, or at least the option for sold axle. IMO
Sorry for the rant, just very disgusted with GM right now, and I have never been a GM fan.

Old 08-31-2012, 01:29 PM
rblomquist
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Getting on my soapbox

I have to take exception with your comments about Ford 6.0 & 6.4 being flat-out 'junk'. My 05 6.0 is the best vehicle I've ever owned in my life, bar none and I've owned all U.S. brand trucks and a Toyota one. I also own a late model Mercedes car and I include that in this mix as well. I constantly talk to people at the diesel pumps and in campgrounds and am still amazed to this day at how very small of a percentage of time it is when I run into anyone that gives me a hard luck story on their 6.0. I've been making it a point to ask folks for years now (just a personal thing I took interest in doing). Part of when I was active duty Air Force and for 2 years after I retired (so up until 2010) I worked in a unit that managed over 300 vehicles, with 80% of those being heavy duty pickups. We never had any (as in a grand total of zero) 6.0s that ever blew a head gasket yet while mountains of people on the forums were having that issue. The biggest issues we saw was after a few years we started to see an occasional alternator or power steering pump go south and the cloth interior on many of these year groups did not take hard use very well. Most of our trucks did not tow heavy, but a percentage of them did/do. The only issue I ever saw with our 6.4 fleet was leaky radiators that although were a royal PITA to fix overall, ultimately were all handled via recall. All of the trucks operated in very extreme desert climates/conditions. Most of ours were kept until they rolled 100k mi. and anyone that's ever been around a Gov't motorpool operation nowadays can attest to the fact that maintenance is only done at the very outermost point possible i.e. 7,500-10,000 mi oil change schedules etc, even if the truck is used in 'extreme' conditions. Bottom line: We don't baby our stuff.

So, someone like myself has to ask why it is we have a fleet of over a hundred Ford 6.0s / 6.4s and have had little to no issues like I see on the forums (especially with the 6.0). The answer I have arrived at is that there must be a lot of people on the internet that do not divulge the fact they've modified their rig and then want to bag on Ford's being crap after something breaks. I have no issue with that i.e. if folks want to say that the 6.0 is not good for modifying then I can buy that. But, when I've never touched my motor (and have yet to have had an issue) while simultaneously having managed large fleets of these trucks that take a pounding out in desert environments, with none of them ever having any powertrain modifications, then I'm left to conclude much of the urinating and moaning is related to folks having hung aftermarket power goodies on their rigs. I'm not saying all of the issues folks have had are untrue, because all vehicles have flaws of one sort or another, and if someone had a lemon then I truly do feel sorry for them.

BUT....for folks to just continually push these blanket notions that 'Fords have been junk' and 'Dodge/Cummins have been the best think since sliced bread' is absolutely ridiculous....

Climbing down off the soap box

Me personally, I'm in the market for a new truck now (moving to a dually) and my preference, after hanging out on the forums for months now monitoring 'trends' with each brand is that I'd take a GM no problem at all. There's very little going on with their current platform, about the biggest thing I saw was exhaust manifold leak that folks are reporting the recall fix took care of. Likewise, this current Ford platform looks good except I despise the front ends and interiors of the current truck. I'll probably end up buying another Ford though as the GMs right now are ridiculously tall (too high for many 5th wheel trailers). The funny thing is I really like the looks of the current Dodge dually (inside & out) but with their faithful masses complaining like nobody's business right now (fuel mileage, excessive regens etc) and the fact that Cummins is modifying a bunch of stuff on the 2013 motor (to include changing it to use urea), coupled with all the crap involved with the Dodge and Cummins parts of my last Dodge/Cummins, there's absolutely no way I'd touch either a 2012 or 2013 with a 10' pole. Again, me personally.

I guess the bottom line is just buy something you believe in. If you come to a Ford board and ask about Ford VS whomever you gotta expect to mostly positive comments from the masses (human nature). If you and your family have had rotten experiences with Fords lately, while having great luck with Dodge/Cummins, then by all means, by all means, buy a Dodge/Cummins. Sounds like your choice should be simple based on your family experience (unless you believe Ford has all of a sudden turned 180-degrees and now makes good stuff). Good luck with whatever rig you decide to go with.

Old 08-31-2012, 02:26 PM
acbull
Freshman User
I talk trucks all the time, I'm always asking people about there cars and trucks just cause I enjoy it. Its funny how thing work sometimes, you say you have had good luck with the 6.0 and 6.4 diesels and yet I have talk with and personally know people that have or had these trucks and had nothing good to say about them. You are the first person I have heard of that has not had problem after problem with them. One of my grandpa's friends worked for ford for 20 some years, he just retired 2 other complaints that have see and heard is the mpg were terrible and compared to the old 7.3's and the new cummins's they were gutless. Most of the people I know, including my grandpa who has 39 ford crew cabs most are diesel's, have not done any mods, not even bigger tires. You must of had some awesome luck with them! I have been a ford fan up until the 6.0's came out, so I really wish we would have had the same luck you did.

Quick Reply: need advise and info on the new fords!