Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to the Bronco Today?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2015, 11:35 PM
Zip
FTE Legend
Received 166 Likes on 105 Posts
I think you probably have a little higher humidity there than what we have here.

Old 12-22-2015, 01:43 AM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Zip
I think you probably have a little higher humidity there than what we have here.
Most likely .

Old 12-30-2015, 03:15 PM
FourXFord2
Elder User
Found the driveline noise under the '78, front shaft splines are worn and double cardan centering is worn, bad. Time for new shaft.
Installed new distributor in the '91 Eddie Bauer that we picked up for $500. Runs lovely now, no missing backfiring stalling none! That accomplished I fixed the driverside window regulator. Removed it and cleaned all the plastic bits and grease out. Some fresh grease and 3 !/2"x 1/2"long steel rod and its good as new again.

Old 01-01-2016, 09:03 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Refilled the leaky power steering.. Drove it around and got quite a few compliments. That is unusual for me, I work night shift primarily so I don't see many people.

I also took notice of more parts getting worn out and noticed I had an interesting shimmy at highway speeds. Looks like steering work is in my future.
I am planning a lift with long travel parts and some new steering components. The RedHead steering company is in the next town over so I'll be going there to get a new steering box. Otherwise it's bushings, stabilizers, and ball joints. The kit I'm looking at for suspension has an adjustable Trac Bar so I can get that squared away.

I got Valve Cover gaskets as a Christmas gift so I would like to change those out soon. I want to get my covers cleaned real good, stripped, and painted black. Then use my small Jade Glow sample paint to line the lettering on the covers. Then go over it with Clear coat. A nice Satin job should turn out nice.

Has anyone ever gotten braided stainless power steering lines? One of mine has a hole in the line(hence the leaking), and I was thinking about upgrading the lines to something a bit more hardy. I don't know if they have ever made stainless braided lines.

Old 01-01-2016, 11:35 PM
ManfredVonRichtofen
Postmaster
Originally Posted by GruesomeJeans
Refilled the leaky power steering.. Drove it around and got quite a few compliments. That is unusual for me, I work night shift primarily so I don't see many people.

I also took notice of more parts getting worn out and noticed I had an interesting shimmy at highway speeds. Looks like steering work is in my future.
I am planning a lift with long travel parts and some new steering components. The RedHead steering company is in the next town over so I'll be going there to get a new steering box. Otherwise it's bushings, stabilizers, and ball joints. The kit I'm looking at for suspension has an adjustable Trac Bar so I can get that squared away.

I got Valve Cover gaskets as a Christmas gift so I would like to change those out soon. I want to get my covers cleaned real good, stripped, and painted black. Then use my small Jade Glow sample paint to line the lettering on the covers. Then go over it with Clear coat. A nice Satin job should turn out nice.

Has anyone ever gotten braided stainless power steering lines? One of mine has a hole in the line(hence the leaking), and I was thinking about upgrading the lines to something a bit more hardy. I don't know if they have ever made stainless braided lines.

They should....check around online. Get the measurement and the thread size of your current power steering lines.

Old 01-02-2016, 07:30 AM
Deadsquiggles
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Drove it to the auto parts store to pick up that VHT 1300*-2000* header paint.
Finished product.

I'm just hoping the paint holds up.

Old 01-02-2016, 12:15 PM
ZombieSlayer
Posting Guru
Finally found a seat to replace mine with. Broke the head off of one of the front bolts and the track from the replacement seat didn't exactly line up so I forced it in at an angle.

Going to have to see if I can remove the tracks and swap them out, but at least now I have a seat I can use

Old 02-10-2016, 10:10 PM
FourXFord2
Elder User
Finally got income to proceed with the '91 build! Spent $196 at JBG for the correct yokes for my NP205. Also have my new rear driveshaft 1330 double cardan and correct length for only $265. Cobbled the front shaft together for my '78 with a new 1310 joint for now, then it snowed 14 inches and wind blew 40mph for 2 days. I was glad to have that!

Old 02-11-2016, 11:11 PM
Bubba Jones
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I thought about changing my door hinge pins but then decided to wait until I get my engine hoist back. The current pins aren't THAT bad, and at least I have the parts on hand now.

I will say though, anyone who has NOT replaced the striker bolt bushings should do so immediately! They're only like 7 bucks for the whole kit at O'Reillys. I replaced those a couple days ago and the doors close SOOO much better now. Better yet, they don't rattle over bumps anymore or make my doors shake while going down the highway. I can tell the doors don't open quite as nicely as they should which is probably due to very slight sagging from worn pin bushings. I might get around to changing them tomorrow.

Old 02-12-2016, 11:19 AM
MadMatt65
Senior User
Just been saving for a transmission. Pretty much decided to go with a Ford rebuild. With 3 years/unlimited miles.....you can't beat it. $1668 = $50 shipping. Comes with torque converter and fluid!
Had a death in the family......there went most of the savings!! Getting there though!!

Old 02-12-2016, 04:18 PM
bigzirb
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I opened the garage door and measured the rear frame and bumper bracket to start drawing out the extra support that I need to build to help more securely mount my bumper.

Old 02-13-2016, 04:15 AM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Bubba Jones
I thought about changing my door hinge pins but then decided to wait until I get my engine hoist back. The current pins aren't THAT bad, and at least I have the parts on hand now.

I will say though, anyone who has NOT replaced the striker bolt bushings should do so immediately! They're only like 7 bucks for the whole kit at O'Reillys. I replaced those a couple days ago and the doors close SOOO much better now. Better yet, they don't rattle over bumps anymore or make my doors shake while going down the highway. I can tell the doors don't open quite as nicely as they should which is probably due to very slight sagging from worn pin bushings. I might get around to changing them tomorrow.
My striker pushing a just fell apart on my 78. Something I need to deal with eventually.

My 78 has been parked for a while now, I'm waiting on a good day to get a load of gravel so I can set up a dry work space in my car tent. Then I can move the Bronco to its resting spot for a while. The plan is to rebuild the steering and remove the body lift with the intent to install a 5.5" superflex lift kit. I'm hoping the removal of the body lift will be as simple as I think but I doubt it.

In the meantime I have been working on my little sisters 1979 Jeep J10. But that's for another Forum

Old 02-15-2016, 09:05 PM
FourXFord2
Elder User
All my parts showed up today for rear driveshaft on the '91, now if the ground could freeze or dry up that would help.
The '78 has a new leak, picked up a new water pump for it. Transmission needs new filter and fluids, it got a bit warm the other day.

Old 02-16-2016, 09:50 PM
FourXFord2
Elder User
New water pump installed. retorqued the valve covers and carbuerator bolts.

Old 02-19-2016, 03:30 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Parked TGM in it's new place till the front end has been rebuilt. I got photos on my phone. I'm hoping everything goes smoothly. I guess I should update the new project thread soon.

Quick Reply: What did you do to the Bronco Today?