Texas Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: LibTimothy

DIVIDING TEXAS CHAPTERS

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 08:48 AM
plumber01
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question DIVIDING TEXAS CHAPTERS

I'm thinking of dividing the state into 4 different chapters.

We have talked about this for a while and I believe I have an easy way of doing it, basically putting a big "X" on the state and going with NORTH,SOUTH,EAST,and WEST.

We would need to hold votes for Chapter Leaders.

Let me know what you guys think, or would you like to keep it the same?

Old 08-20-2012, 07:07 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
My $.02

Maybe a regional chapter for the purposes of get togethers, etc., but as far as the forum goes, splitting Texas into smaller groups would just seem to be a way to run off the weaker sections that don't have much participation.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:13 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I think that it's fine the way it is. I mean we are already low on the participation in the TX chapter anyways. So splitting it up, the Dallas/Ft. Worth and Houston areas would have fair participation, but Central TX and West TX would generally have really low participation levels, so those chapters would be dead for the most part.. Just my opinion anyways.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:40 PM
Snuggyworm
Postmaster
i believe we should keep all of us together for the purposes of participation. so i would agree wif travis.

Old 08-22-2012, 02:34 PM
parker245
Senior User
I would have to agree with the above comments. I don't see the point in breaking the state up into sections with respect to this board/forum. Besides not really seeing the point, where would you put Texarkana? In the north or the east?

I vote to leave it the way it is.

Old 08-22-2012, 11:19 PM
LibTimothy
FTE Chapter Leader
Don't Do It!!!

Robert,

I too am against subdividing the state.

I think that Parker makes a great point:

Originally Posted by parker245
I would have to agree with the above comments. I don't see the point in breaking the state up into sections with respect to this board/forum. Besides not really seeing the point, where would you put Texarkana? In the north or the east?

I vote to leave it the way it is.

I think Parker is 100% correct about Texarkana. It isn't really North and it really isn't East. I feel the same way about central Texas. I could end up in just about any or every zone.

On a side note/thread hijack, Parker, I drove thru Texarkana this past Monday, and I have to ask... How drunk were the Traffic Engineers who designed I30 there? Good Lord. I think they must be worse than the crazy drunk traffic engineers in San Antonio!

Sorry. OK. Back to the point... Robert, while not agreeing with subdividing Texas, a random X drawn through the state would cause more problems than a San Antonio traffic engineer, with 50 gallons of fresh moonshine, moonlighting in Texarkana, during a full moon.

If the goal is just to ease the administration burden of the largest, best, most active state (filled with the best looking FTE's in the world) then some dividing MIGHT make sense. After all, there must be reports you have to write, graphs of how many times I hijack threads, professional development plans, TPS reports.... You know... Administrivia.

If THAT's the case, I can see why subdivision would be on the table. But, Robert, just drawing an X over Texas is so nuts that I'm beginning to suspect that you have a pending job interview as a traffic engineer in Texarkana (and 50 gallons moonshine hidden away somewhere)....

You should create fiefdoms in a way that evenly divides the Administrivia between the different Earls and Lords that you appoint. I don't know how to do this, so it probably can't be done, so you should avoid trying to subdivide the state. That way you can just share the 50 gallons of shine with the rest of us!

Timothy

Old 08-23-2012, 01:26 PM
parker245
Senior User
Originally Posted by LibTimothy
On a side note/thread hijack, Parker, I drove thru Texarkana this past Monday, and I have to ask... How drunk were the Traffic Engineers who designed I30 there? Good Lord. I think they must be worse than the crazy drunk traffic engineers in San Antonio!
Timothy
If you think it's bad now, you should have seen it four years ago before they built all the bridges! We had two way feeder roads that were thinning the population of driver's that were issued their DL's at Wally World pretty quickly. There was a clover leaf exchange at State Line that had entry ramps like those in Austin. The Sunday-Go-to-Towner population got thinned out there almost every Sunday! Now at least you have all of them herded in the same direction on the feeders, but we still have the Wally World drivers that don't take to change very well. Just two weeks ago some drunk somehow got to going west on the eastbound side, entered I-30, managed to avoid two or three 18 wheeler and finally got hit head on by one fully loaded tractor-trailer rig on the Interstate traveling at Interstate speed. I think they are still peeling parts of him off the grill.

Next time you come through town, give me a holler. If coming from San Antonio, it'll prolly be time to take a pit-stop and get a glass of sweet tea or a cup of coffee anyway.

-Parker

Old 08-23-2012, 08:28 PM
pin8246
Elder User
I think you should leave it the same. Im all over the place down here depending on how board I am. Keeping everything in a central location makes it easier for us that travel around to keep up with whats going on in the area were in, instead of having to go to different chapters to keep up with it. That just me though.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:47 AM
plumber01
Post Fiend
Ok then, staying the same it will, Thanks for the input guys. I appreciate it.

Old 08-24-2012, 02:31 PM
parker245
Senior User
On a side note/thread hijack, Parker, I drove thru Texarkana this past Monday, and I have to ask... How drunk were the Traffic Engineers who designed I30 there? Good Lord. I think they must be worse than the crazy drunk traffic engineers in San Antonio!Timothy
If you think the roads were bad when you drove through the other day, you should have been coming through when you would have had to navigate this:

Old 08-24-2012, 09:07 PM
jayft8
Elder User
One Texas, one Chapter.
Everybody here is my neighbor.
Davy Crockett went from Nacogdoches to fight in San Antonio for all of Texas.
Unity all the way.

Old 08-26-2012, 02:14 PM
LibTimothy
FTE Chapter Leader
Originally Posted by parker245
If you think the roads were bad when you drove through the other day, you should have been coming through when you would have had to navigate this:

Parker,

Wow your traffic engineers got their training from Match Box U (a highly rated traffic engineering school). Watch out for the traffic engineers that went to Habitrail U (Go Gerbils!) as they can make some really bizarre clover leafs.

Timothy

Old 08-28-2012, 08:17 PM
sierra6
Senior User
As to the San Antonio Traffic Engineers...
It was the story that I was told back in '72 that they formed a committee and got a mule drunk and every where the mule when't they laid out the road right of way stakes and gave every one and the mule another shot.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:29 PM
LibTimothy
FTE Chapter Leader
Originally Posted by sierra6
As to the San Antonio Traffic Engineers...
It was the story that I was told back in '72 that they formed a committee and got a mule drunk and every where the mule when't they laid out the road right of way stakes and gave every one and the mule another shot.

Now, having driven in the great city of San Antonio, I can believe this.

And I'll bet they did the same thing in Ft Worth, except they added the additional fun of placing a stop sign every place the mule... Uhh.... made a road apple...

Now, I admit having a low opinion of traffic engineers, since they come from the group of engineers not bright enough or with the math skills to be packaging engineers, or safety engineers, or sanitation engineers, or even quality control engineers. Heck, most goats make better trail systems than traffic engineers make road systems.

However, I have observed that the placement of roads often involves drunkenness. And the designing of software languages often involves drunkenness. Could there be a coincidence here?

Timothy

Old 09-07-2012, 09:03 PM
jayft8
Elder User
Parker,

Wow your traffic engineers got their training from Match Box U (a highly rated traffic engineering school). Watch out for the traffic engineers that went to Habitrail U (Go Gerbils!) as they can make some really bizarre clover leafs.

Timothy

ok, now THAT is funny!

Quick Reply: DIVIDING TEXAS CHAPTERS