Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Excursion - King of SUVs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-19-2012, 02:17 PM
New User

jhuggs82 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Theft Light Blinking and wont start!!

Hello everyone and thanks in advance for your help! I post this in another section hoping for find some answers on problems I'm having with my Excursion.... Please read on to my reply lol

Hello Everyone!! I noticed this post trying to search for answers for a very similar issue Eric had......... minus the aftermark alarm. And hoping for more insight or direction.

I have a 2004 Excursion 6.0 with 242k.... have owned the vehicle a week... never once had a problem starting it.

Took a trip to the city museum, drove back home to drop my sister off at her house, left her drive way and about 10 seconds later my diesel just shut off(no I didnt turn the vehicle off while at her house so no delayed shut off). I go to try and turn the vehicle back on to start and the THEFT light is blinking rapidly. Glow ignitor just stays on for an extended period of time but no ability to start....

Now I've tried the whole reset thing,,, wait till the light frequency slows down,, turn off,,, wait,,, put key in,, etc,,,,,,, I've tried the leave the negative cable off for hours and hours,,,,, reconnect,,, and still a fast THEFT light.....checked the battery voltage, gtg,,,,,,,,,, I've checked all fuses,,,, switched pcm relay,,, etc,,, no go! I even tried connecting a code snatcher up and it refuses to connect and pull the vehicle info.... really!@#? lol

So I'm getting a PATS theft signal..... but the problem originated while driving and shut off so it cant be by design,, yet it now defaults to a PATS indicator... I've done my research and have also heard the PCM may be the culprit.

Any help or suggestions? I've seen this issue around and this seems to be the best place to get the answers for everyone and so when people have this problem in the future they can find this post. lol
Old 08-19-2012, 03:24 PM
Junior User

wakeupluis is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I dont know if this will help or not. Same thing happened to me with an F150. Ended up the key was dropped recently and the key was bad. I tried my spare key and worked just fine. So if you have another key try it. Its worth a shot anyways. Good luck
Old 08-19-2012, 03:32 PM
New User

That's the only thing, I don't have the spare key.
Old 08-19-2012, 04:06 PM
Senior User

Stebs has a good reputation on FTE.Stebs has a good reputation on FTE.Stebs has a good reputation on FTE.
I had the same issue with my 03 F150, would crank but not start with the theft light flashing...

The problem turned out to be a bad ECM relay that was not powering up the ECM

Considering you cant pull the codes, i'd be checking your fuses over and also you might try swapping the relay that powers your PCM or even the PATS module (if it has its own relay)

Edit: Just reread where you checked all fuses and swapped the PCM relay. Not sure if there are any other relays that might be of issue..
2nd edit: I dont think its a bad key issue since it died on you. I could be wrong but I think that once the PATS has verified the key, it no longer controls anything. If that module loses power on the other hand, i think it could cause an issue.
Old 08-19-2012, 04:10 PM
New User

I'll pull all fuses and double check
Old 08-19-2012, 08:51 PM
New User

All fuses in the box are good... Still no direction lol. When you are referring to a module which one? Lol
Old 08-19-2012, 11:51 PM
Senior User

Stebs has a good reputation on FTE.Stebs has a good reputation on FTE.Stebs has a good reputation on FTE.
the PATS module...

I pulled up the manual for your truck...

Fuse 19 - Body security module
Fuse 20 - FICM Relay (only mentioned in 2nd printing of manual)
Fuse 22 - Engine Control
Fuse 25 - ABS and fan control
Fuse 27 - ignition switch run feed
Fuse 31 - clutch interlock switch
Fuse 35 - instrument cluster
fuse 36 - PCM keep alive (PCM Memory)
Fuse 40 - Fuel pump
Fuse 41 - instrument cluster
Fuse 44 - PATS module
Fuse 45 - ignition switch
Fuse 102 Body security module (whatever that is)
Fuse 103 - ignition switch and FICM power
Fuse 105 - One printing says fuel heater, other says Injector module
Fuse 110 - ignition switch
Fuse 116 - Ignition switch
Fuse 602 - ABS Module
Relay 302 - PCM module
Relay 303 - Injector driver module (only mentioned in 1 printing)

One other thing although i doubt its the problem... Have you checked the fuel pump reset switch?
Old 08-20-2012, 07:09 AM
New User

Thank you for that! All fuses are good and reset for fuel pump didn't ccomplish anything lol. Might have to send it to the dealer and keep everyone updated.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:43 PM
New User

Update.... Dealer found its the PCM!!! Dangit!!! Gonna cost $1100 to fix it!
Old 08-20-2012, 05:43 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Excursion - King of SUVs