6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

This is prolly a 1 page thread at most

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 12:39 AM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 3,998 Likes on 1,600 Posts
HELP.............Question

Hi Guys......

My front Bumper/Moose guard arrived. I had ordered it without the black Powder coat......Just primer. My plan was to have my local body shop paint it the same color as the truck has for an accent color.......Caribou Metallic with clear coat.
Well, it showed up with Black Powder Coat. I understand this makes for more prep work to paint it. The salesperson has offered to reduce the price....nice.
He has also recommended that I take the bumper to a shop in town that does Power Coat, and can match the Caribou Metallic. He claims the final result is a more rugged finish................

What does your experience / knowledge say......??

Thanks

Old 01-23-2015, 12:41 AM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
Glad to hear you are doing better.

As far as powder coating, best to ask your paint person.

Old 01-23-2015, 12:47 AM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 3,998 Likes on 1,600 Posts
Originally Posted by Dakster
Glad to hear it!
Take Care........Bed time.........

Old 01-23-2015, 05:50 AM
sbryan
Lead Driver
Received 126 Likes on 116 Posts
Originally Posted by Sailor_Roy
Hi Guys......

My front Bumper/Moose guard arrived. I had ordered it without the black Powder coat......Just primer. My plan was to have my local body shop paint it the same color as the truck has for an accent color.......Caribou Metallic with clear coat.
Well, it showed up with Black Powder Coat. I understand this makes for more prep work to paint it. The salesperson has offered to reduce the price....nice.
He has also recommended that I take the bumper to a shop in town that does Power Coat, and can match the Caribou Metallic. He claims the final result is a more rugged finish................

Thanks
Pictures of your moose guard or it didn't happen Roy. Need to see your latest addition to JGG.

Glad to hear your leg is finally making a comeback. Have a good Friday!

Old 01-23-2015, 07:40 AM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 7,069 Likes on 2,217 Posts
Good morning guys and welcome Lewis!

Darren, that's a great idea. Send it to Gavin and you will get it back perfect, but you will have to drive that Fiat again until he's finished

Roy...what about having the bumper painted in bed liner material that is color matched to the Caribou Metallic? It will be durable and look great. Just a thought?

Old 01-23-2015, 07:50 AM
2006lariat
Lead Driver
Received 228 Likes on 62 Posts
Morning folks.
Roy I have never seen powder coat hold up to rock chips.
How ever, I have also never seen "professional" powder coating on anything either.
We have powder coated stuff with the home kit, and it didn't hold up well.

Old 01-23-2015, 07:53 AM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 7,069 Likes on 2,217 Posts
I've had great results with professional powdercoating done around here. It holds up well. I've never tried the home done stuff. I can see my wife beating me for destroying her oven with my bumper, lol.

Old 01-23-2015, 08:14 AM
BlackBeest
More Turbo
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Good morning, gang! Heya Lewis

YES! I did get my truck back, and man.....after a month.....there's just something therapeutic about thundering around town like your hair's on fire, got the Octane cranked up.... WOOOOOOO!!! ror

I've already dropped off a sheet of SS at a local machine shop, made a couple runs to Home Depot, and if it wasn't so cold and rainy today I'd probably hitch up to the scrap trailer and haul it down to the recyclers...

Roy- to the best of my knowledge, you can't powdercoat over powdercoat, so regardless of whether you paint or powdercoat the thing the color you want, it's going to have to be stripped first.

While it's true the powdercoat is a more durable finish; inevitably, nicks/damages will happen, and in that case, touching up a painted finish would be infinitely simpler.

Take care all, be safe out there

Old 01-23-2015, 08:40 AM
darren32
Lead Driver

Received 736 Likes on 141 Posts
Howdy guys

Originally Posted by Sailor_Roy
Hi Guys......

Thanks
Roy, I would NOT powder coat over existing powder coat. If you want to powder coat it I would blast it down to bare steel ......

IMHO....

Option 1 Tell they you want what you ordered.

Option 2 Talk to the paint shop and see if they how they feel about painting over powder coat and ask they if they will warranty it (I doubt it...)

Option 3 If the cost reduction is substantial ... live with a black bumper

Have fun fellas!!

Old 01-23-2015, 08:57 AM
darren32
Lead Driver

Some good points above Roy, powder coat is pretty hard and chips pretty good.

OK now I need help!!

All wheels look the same to me ......

What do you think about some black iron magnum wheels 18 x 9 -12

Black Iron Wheels | Styles | Magnum Matte Black

With some nitto mud grapplers 37 x 13.5 R18

Mud Grappler Extreme Mud Terrain Light Truck Tire

On my WHITE truck????

Or any suggestions for wheels???

Thanks

Old 01-23-2015, 09:05 AM
sbryan
Lead Driver
Received 126 Likes on 116 Posts
Originally Posted by darren32

OK now I need help!!

On my WHITE truck????

Thanks
I think these look pretty sharp. Black would be the way to go - what else contrasts with white???

The Nittos look freaking crazy rugged. Bet it will ride like a TRUCK! And they will probably hear you coming a block away!

I like it.

Old 01-23-2015, 09:19 AM
RigTrash601
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by darren32

OK now I need help!!

On my WHITE truck????

Thanks
I like matte black wheels IF you have the rest of the truck accented correctly. In my case, I personally felt the Black / Chrome looked better on the truck because I don't plan to change out the grill, etc... While I'm not a big fan of chrome, it looks better in some applications.
Here's Mine (thanks for giving me an excuse to post another pic!):

IMHO, your truck would look good with the Black / Machined finished, a lot of wheel manufacturers have that finish. The other two rim options I looked at were Fuel Nutz (black / machined) and Fuel Maverick (black / machined)
Nutz - D252 - Fuel Off-Road Wheels

Maverick - D261 - Fuel Off-Road Wheels
Those links are for reference to the finish only, I'm not sure if those wheels come in a size smaller than 20".

Old 01-23-2015, 09:21 AM
EO2SeaBee
Hotshot
Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts
Mornin gang.

Darren, those wheels and tires look great! Are you thinking of running those tires in the snow too?

Welcome aboard Lewis!

Have a nice day guys. I start nights tonight. I hope to be bored.

Old 01-23-2015, 09:41 AM
darren32
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by sbryan
I think these look pretty sharp. Black would be the way to go - what else contrasts with white???

The Nittos look freaking crazy rugged. Bet it will ride like a TRUCK! And they will probably hear you coming a block away!

I like it.
Thanks Shawn

Originally Posted by RigTrash601
I like matte black wheels IF you have the rest of the truck accented correctly. In my case, I personally felt the Black / Chrome looked better on the truck because I don't plan to change out the grill, etc... While I'm not a big fan of chrome, it looks better in some applications.
Here's Mine (thanks for giving me an excuse to post another pic!):

IMHO, your truck would look good with the Black / Machined finished, a lot of wheel manufacturers have that finish. The other two rim options I looked at were Fuel Nutz (black / machined) and Fuel Maverick (black / machined)
Nutz - D252 - Fuel Off-Road Wheels

Maverick - D261 - Fuel Off-Road Wheels
Those links are for reference to the finish only, I'm not sure if those wheels come in a size smaller than 20".
Thanks Mitch, those are both pretty awesome. I kinda want to go with 18's ... I think it will make the tires LOOK bigger. Another bonus is it saves about $150.00 / per tire.

Truck looks AWESOME BTW. What is the tire size again?

Originally Posted by EO2SeaBee
Mornin gang.

Darren, those wheels and tires look great! Are you thinking of running those tires in the snow too?

Welcome aboard Lewis!

Have a nice day guys. I start nights tonight. I hope to be bored.
Howdy Doug. No I would keep the current rims with the Duratracs for winter. The rims are beat beyond recovery anyway. That is the only way I can justify it .... if I stick with the DT's this summer they will probably be shot by next winter and I will need new tires at a cost of $2,000.00. If I get a set of tires and wheels for summer it will cost around $3,000.00 BUT I should be set for 3 or more years. Only running the DT's in the winter they should get me thru at least 2 more winters, probably 3. Sooooo I have somehow convinced myself that this will SAVE me money Times are tough, gotta do what I can to save money

Have fun fellas

Old 01-23-2015, 09:48 AM
RigTrash601
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They're 35" x 12.5". Toyo's. I looked at the Nitto's, but everyone that I've talked to down here say the Toyo's seem to work better on these heavier Super Duty trucks, I've been told the Toyo's last a little longer, but both are great tires. Mine are Open Country M/T's, and yes, they are quite a bit louder, but It doesn't bother me!

Quick Reply: This is prolly a 1 page thread at most