6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

This is prolly a 1 page thread at most

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 10:17 AM
darren32
Lead Driver

Received 736 Likes on 141 Posts
Another one done

I wonder what is keeping Gavin

Trent will be done as soon as he comes and picks up his tuner

Nice work savage, enjoy.

Old 06-18-2013, 10:34 AM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 7,101 Likes on 2,226 Posts
Gavin is pretty disciplined...I don't know. Even all I went through, still worth it.

On a side note - 2ndstroke, my defuel is set to 32 psi. It cut's off at 32 psi and defuels immediately. You mentioned you hit 35 psi before. Something isn't right...I could easily hit beyond 32 peak psi and mine will chirp and let me know it's defueling. Could it be you have your boost level set correctly, but you didn't tell the MM to actually defuel? I know the likeliness of that is slim and I'm not suggesting you don't know what you are doing at all. It's all I can think of beyond the version of software you are using. I'd make a call to H&S and ask them if it's still doing that. I'm using 6.7.28

Old 06-18-2013, 10:44 AM
darren32
Lead Driver

6.7.31 April 11, 2013 – Street tuner firmware updated for internal MCC checks (1031), Injection timing modifications for increased efficiency, Turbo calibration parameters modified to relieve stress on stock turbo, Turbo boost thresholds raised to achieve a wider range of variance around desired boost, Gear position display modified to work fully while in Tow/Haul, Fuel injection thresholds modified to combat low rail pressure on aggressive tuning levels

Keep in mind, if you go to 6.7.31 boost levels will go WAY down. I used to run up to 38 PSI on some of the older tunes. I can barely touch 30 now. There are lots of guys complaining about it on H&S forum. I have not done any 0-60 or anythign so I don't know if power is down or not. But it does feel more mild.

H&S replied with this (which I think is pretty good):

Thank you guys for your feedback!

We are intently listening to all the reports, and hope to be able to please as many as possible with our updates. Unfortunately what we think is best for your vehicle may sometimes not be what you think you want!

A little explanation on why we changed what we changed: On the 2011 and 2012 Powerstroke, we have seen numerous turbo failures from overworking it. This has left many stranded, and can even result in engine damage due to shrapnel discharged from the turbo when it fails. For this reason we thought it best to return the turbo control mapping back to a near OEM conditions. We understand that you may see lower boost numbers, and perhaps a little difference in the "feel" of the pedal.

Rest assured that we believe the latest tuning is capable of the same peak power values as the previous tuning (no fueling characteristics were changed). It is just the "feel" that you are noticing that is different when under partial throttle conditions. The previous tuning would cause the variable turbo to drastically speed up on a small acceleration, causing an almost spring loaded feeling to the truck. I personally hated the inconsistent and almost surging feeling it presented. As most would drive this, yes they feel it was making more power at that particular throttle position. Why? Well, the fueling control system on the EDC17 ECM is largely based on air monitoring. When the turbo is spinning at such a high rate it will, of course, move more air. Based on this increase in air, the engine will fuel slightly harder to achieve the desired air/fuel mixture it is trying to achieve. So yes, at a partial throttle, your truck may have felt a little "peppier". But the full throttle (peak HP) capabilities of the vehicle should not be changed with the new tuning.

We feel the benefits of being safer on the turbo system far outweigh the potential danger of obtaining a little "throttle response".

As far as EGTs...
It is quite common to see over 1450 degrees while running an aggressive tune on a 2011-2012 Powerstroke. From H&S, defuel levels are set at what we feel is a very safe level. To get the MOST out of performance, you may need to raise those defuel levels.

During our testing we intentionally run vehicles HOT on many engine parameters to test the limits of hardware. This can be anything from intake air temperatures to Coolant temperatures to Exhaust gas temperatures, etc. I personally have taken my 2011 Ford to over 1900 degrees on the metered exhaust gas temperature with no ill results.

I may get some heat for this one (time for debate!), but: For the most part, gauges are merely a novelty item and a diagnostics tool. Using gauges to avoid damage to an engine under normal circumstances is something that I don't believe is even possible for 99% of diesel truck owners. Seeing 5-10 temperatures and using a human's limited real time data processing capabilities, will never exceed the capabilities of a network of computers processing thousands of input sensors and calculated values and knowing how they interact with each other. The factory control systems are designed to remedy any failure or diagnostics problem in a matter of milliseconds, and are much more accurate than anything we could ever attempt to replicate by watching a few basic temperatures and pressures.

I know the diesel community has been convinced that gauges will somehow make your truck's performance "safer", but I fail to make that connection. Tell me the exact EGT where damage is done? You can't. There are many other variables that come into combination with EGT that will contribute to engine failure (cylinder pressure, injection timing, coolant temperature, ambient temperatures/pressure, injector duration, where your temperature reading is being taken, latency and accuracy on readings, etc).
Where do gauges come in handy?
1. If your truck is exhibiting a problem that needs diagnosis, the gauges can tell you a lot about what is happening and save you a trip to a dealer to use their scan tool.
2. Full race vehicles that need data logging each pass down the track. This helps greatly in tune adjustment and product performance assessments.
3. Custom tune data logging to report back vital information for tuning adjustments.

We sell thousands of XRT Pro units (no gauge monitoring), and we have seen NO relation between a hardware failure (head gasket, transmission, turbo, piston, etc) on a truck and running no gauges. Drive it like you respect it and the truck will return the favor.

Rant off, just some pieces of information we have learned over years of product support and customer feedback. We will continue to watch your feedback and use it to gauge whether we feel the tuning needs to be modified or not. Thanks!

Old 06-18-2013, 10:48 AM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Thanks for sharing that Darren and I agree with the last part of his post.

Old 06-18-2013, 11:12 AM
Jigger2020
FTE Legend
Received 5,160 Likes on 1,689 Posts
Sounds great & looks great Savage, I LOVE IT, great pics n vids man.....

Old 06-18-2013, 11:28 AM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Thanks Gerry!

Old 06-18-2013, 11:30 AM
Hdslider
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Man. Everytime I hear and see that gives me the wants badly.. Wifey said I got to many wants. Guurrr. Lol.
Awsome Savage.

@ Darren. Great info my friend.

Old 06-18-2013, 11:39 AM
Jigger2020
FTE Legend
We all (men) have too many wants, hehe

Old 06-18-2013, 11:48 AM
darren32
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by GIGGER
We all (men) have too many wants, hehe
LOL for sure G. Between the inlaws and the stock market I got nuttin left for wants. I am broke . Daddy needs some new rims LOL

Old 06-18-2013, 11:52 AM
Jigger2020
FTE Legend
I'll have to return my empty beer/wine bottles I guess........

Old 06-18-2013, 12:03 PM
Hdslider
Postmaster
The precious metals have really got me in not so good feeling. So I hear what your layin down Darren.

Old 06-18-2013, 12:13 PM
darren32
Lead Driver

Ya Paul, just when you think things are getting better... something happens. Live and don't learn for me

Old 06-18-2013, 12:22 PM
Hdslider
Postmaster
I had a gut feeling I shoulda sold some awhile back.now ive lost $500.00 a ounce on one. And the other well I wont go into it. So im at the ride the storm out. And pray its not a long one.

Old 06-18-2013, 12:29 PM
darren32
Lead Driver

"shoulda sold" that's me too Paul.
I never stick to the plan at it alway burns me

Old 06-18-2013, 01:12 PM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
BTW Darren...that Companion should net high dollars. One sold around here for $650 used a month ago.

Quick Reply: This is prolly a 1 page thread at most