1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Hi, I got a new work truck

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 02:01 AM
TimeMachine
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi, I got a new work truck

This is a great forum! I've spent the last few months lurking around, trying to decide on buying this truck for my landscaping work, and then looking into the repairs that I'll need to take on.

So, a few months ago I fell in love with this beautiful '55 dump truck. I kept trying to convince myself it wasn't a practical work truck. The thing is, I have close to zero car/truck repair knowledge. I did have classic car friends and neighbors look at it with me, they were all aglow and told me it was a great truck, really special. That settled it for me.

It's a '55 F-350, runs great, pretty much original (with the dump bed as a notable exception), about 34,000 miles, with one owner that kept it on the farm and in solid running condition. I couldn't get a better, newer 1 ton commercial dump truck for the price, plus most "newer" ones are beat to hell by the workload and negligence.

I have replaced a few easy things, that's been fine and all, but now I've no idea how to fit in the new convex side mirrors (the old ones were very corroded). I know, this must feel like classic truck preschool to you all, but I can't figure out how to "pop" in the new mirrors without cutting or bending the, very strong, old mirror frames. Any help?

Apologies in advance, since I won't have any great advice to share with the community in exchange.

So here are the old mirrors. Yes, I took off the frames and broke out the old, barely reflective, mirrors. The frames are all cleaned up and I've got the right glue (supposedly!), just need to pop in the new convex set. Any advice?

Thanks!

Old 08-14-2012, 05:16 AM
glruff
Super Moderator
Received 157 Likes on 93 Posts
Hi Celena, welcome to FTE!

Great looking truck you have there.

BTW, I moved your post to the correct year forum.

Old 08-14-2012, 06:25 AM
dynamic
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Welcome Welcome!!!

You my friend certainly started things out the right way.

LOTS OF PICTURES!!

Glad to see you picked that truck up. Now just remember... Just becasue your going to use the truck as a work truck, dont let it fall into dis-repair or neglect her when she needs some tlc.

Old 08-14-2012, 06:35 AM
jaye
Posting Guru
Nice truck, there is a bolt in the door jam take it out and the mirror arm will slide out. I think you should have just glued the convex mirror to the old ones.

Old 08-14-2012, 06:37 AM
bk53
Senior User
nice truck. It looks like a great driver for around town.
I've never done the mirror thing. sorry

Old 08-14-2012, 07:20 AM
BigPigDaddy
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow! The cool factor on that truck is amazing!

I know if you rolled up to my house I would be happy to do business with you just because of the truck. I think you'll score points with car guys/gals and with the enviro types (since you are recycling).

Sorry, I can't help with the mirrors. Good on you for tackling that yourself.

Old 08-14-2012, 07:58 AM
teardropty
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by TimeMachine
I have replaced a few easy things, that's been fine and all, but now I've no idea how to fit in the new convex side mirrors (the old ones were very corroded). I know, this must feel like classic truck preschool to you all, but I can't figure out how to "pop" in the new mirrors without cutting or bending the, very strong, old mirror frames. Any help?
I used repopped mirrors from LMC truck. They are actually mid-50 Ch**y mirror heads but fit good and look right. Available in Chrome or black heads. Truck Parts and Truck Accessories I used a set on my F250 because no one repops the F250 and up mirrors (that I know of) and the originals I had must have been reglued previously because I ended up destroying the frames trying to get them out and new mirror in. I know it's not stock "correct" but just an idea. Good luck!

Here's my setup: 5" round mirrors on 12"-18" extendable stainless steel arms.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:43 AM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 245 Likes on 154 Posts
Good looking old truck. Welcome to the forum. Unless you're bent on making it look completely original consider some "west coast" type mirrors. There is just no comparison, IMO, in the additional visibility of the larger mirrors with the convex stick ons or the separate wide angle mirrors. I've driven both. FWIW, the Ford script west coast types show up on ebay once in a while.

Old 08-14-2012, 09:19 AM
dmack91
Elder User
Probably going to be much easier to just replace the mirror head as suggested before. LMC Trucks and Classic Haulers (Mid-Fifties) both have good catalogs that make excellent references, and they are free.

Old 08-14-2012, 02:28 PM
ROV135
New User
Mirror heads are replaceable. You should be able to get one at any good auto supply.
You take off the 7/16" nut and the head slides off the arm.
Nice looking truck!

Old 08-14-2012, 02:35 PM
teardropty
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by ROV135
Mirror heads are replaceable. You should be able to get one at any good auto supply.
You take off the 7/16" nut and the head slides off the arm.
Nice looking truck!
Very true. Peterson (big aftermarket light maker) makes a nice replacement mirror. The thing I don't like about most replacement mirror heads is that they have the makers name stamped on them. Also a lot of the chrome ones have a black band around the rim which doesn't appeal to me. The LMC ones are all black or all chrome and no name stamped on them. If you don't mind the stamped name, TSC stores carry Peterson. Also, I personally would get the 5 or 6" mirror head. Anything smaller and you can't see nothing. Anything larger looks out of place IMHO.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:22 PM
kenjh
Posting Guru
Hey ..very good score!! beautiful truck ..go to a truck supply shop ..full size mirrors are much better then the pop-sickle stockers..your gonna want the best mirrors for safety .. congratulations on a very nice tuck ..and watch out for the guy's here ..bunch of "enablers" here will give advice and offer parts to keep you on the road!!

Old 08-14-2012, 09:24 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,616 Likes on 1,456 Posts
Love your truck! Actually I am jealous of you. I have been looking for an F350 flatbed dump to use for a yard work, mulch hauler/brushhauler, etc for some time now. Can I ask how much you paid for it?

About the mirrors: the mirror arms are the stock originals for 53-56 and no one is reproducing them. As mentioned above I would put a 5x7 rectangular mirror that you can buy in any auto parts store for now. That is what I had on my truck until I found stock mirrors (which are smaller...)

Good luck and have fun! And if you find another let me know!

Old 08-14-2012, 09:39 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 765 Likes on 375 Posts
I don't know nuthin about no mirrors, but that is one beautiful truck.
I would agree about getting larger mirrors, since you are going to use it for work you will want something that will give you better visibility.

Loved the pictures, you know how to start things off right.
I have a 55 F-250 and I want my truck to look pretty similar to yours. I may have to steal a couple of the pictures for my pc wallpaper.

Old 08-14-2012, 10:33 PM
Fomoko1
Received 1,354 Likes on 1,113 Posts
Sweet dually, I love it!

Quick Reply: Hi, I got a new work truck