6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

2006 6.0L Powerstroke diesel alternator

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 03:57 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 136 Likes on 80 Posts
This picture is a little clearer. If you zoom in, you'll see that fuses of different ratings have a little different internals. You may also be looking at a "slow-blow" fuse.

Last edited by Rusty Axlerod; 12-15-2013 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Sorry, wrong picture before
Old 12-15-2013, 03:58 PM
gesb123
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have cracked the shroud in several places trying to get the top arched piece off. Can you please provide a bit more detail. If you like, please call 228 327 1997. Thanks so much.

Old 12-15-2013, 04:03 PM
gesb123
New User
Originally Posted by Rusty Axlerod
This picture is a little clearer. If you zoom in, you'll see that fuses of different ratings have a little different internals. You may also be looking at a "slow-blow" fuse.

Thanks Rusty. Trying to trouble shoot problem. Last night first ABS light came on, then I noticed wipers running very slow, third the AC stopped blowing fast and cold.
When I turned truck off it would not restart. that is what lead me to the alternator but someone said it may be a fuse. if it is a fuse I don't know which one the check.

Old 12-15-2013, 04:07 PM
gesb123
New User
Originally Posted by Rusty Axlerod
There are a couple (at least) ways to go at this job.

1. put a pry par beside the alternator, inside the belt and pry against the base of the alternator where the front bolt (drivers side) goes into the intake. While holding tension on the belt reach under the tensioner and flip the "kickstand" up and hold it while releasing tension on the belt. I'll post a picture for you if I can figure out how to post someone else's.

2. grab the belt with both hands while standing by the passengerside fender. pull real hard to get some slack, it will take both hands to move it but once you have some slack you can hold it with one hand and flip the kickstand up with the other.

3. pull back the rubber piece where the small shroud piece connects to the main part of the shroud (looks like a strip of small tubing) you will see there are several locking tabs where the two pieces meet. using a small screwdriver, work your way around the tabs and remove the small "eyebrow" panel from the main shroud, be careful, it breaks easy. this will give you room to put a tool in the 1/2 drive slot on the tensioner.

4. just unbolt the alternator, it's a bit of a pain to put back on but it can be leveraged back in place.

personally, I used to do #3, but #1 works a little better. My discription isn't great, but I'll try to come back and post a picture for you. theres a good one floating around here somewhere.

This is what I cannot figure out. I keep cracking the shroud.

3. pull back the rubber piece where the small shroud piece connects to the main part of the shroud (looks like a strip of small tubing) you will see there are several locking tabs where the two pieces meet. using a small screwdriver, work your way around the tabs and remove the small "eyebrow" panel from the main shroud, be careful, it breaks easy. this will give you room to put a tool in the 1/2 drive slot on the tensioner.

Old 12-15-2013, 05:21 PM
gesb123
New User
What are the advantages of purchasing a high output alternator? I need a new one and the local auto parts have 120 but you guys are talking about 185-190 amps

Thanks to Rusty Axlerod for calling and stepping me through .... that was awesome

Old 12-15-2013, 05:30 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 136 Likes on 80 Posts
Not a problem bro . A high output alt will help with battery and FICM life, especially in cold weather. That factory alt is barely up to the task on a cold start with the glow plugs and other accessories on. It can take a good long drive to get the batteries back up to full charge after a cold start.

Old 12-15-2013, 05:44 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Tell your parts house you want the 140 amp. alt. from a dual alt. truck. That way if it's from AZ or O'Reilly's you'll have a lifetime warranty and they are every where should you have a failure on the road.

Old 12-15-2013, 05:46 PM
Fulthrotl
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gesb123
What are the advantages of purchasing a high output alternator? I need a new one and the local auto parts have 120 but you guys are talking about 185-190 amps

Thanks to Rusty Axlerod for calling and stepping me through .... that was awesome
here's the deal with generating power... the OEM alternator
only puts out 13.2 volts. that will charge a battery to about 25%
of it's capacity.

so... you could have a 300 amp alternator, if it only puts out 13.2
volts, it will never charge above the 25% level. honest.

the higher end DC power alternators put out 14.8 volts, which will
do a couple things.... fully charge the battery, AND supply a healthy
voltage to run the ficm.

this will let the ficm run cooler, and heat destroys the ficm.
ed@ficmrepear.com sells DC power alternators for a reason....
so you don't keep burning up your ficm after he rebuilds it.

glow plugs and engine loads on a cold 6.0 run over 100 amps.
what the alternator can't supply gets sucked from the batteries.
so you have batteries at a 25% charge getting drained until the
engine warms up and the load drops off.... then they can be slowly
charged up to 25% again.

don't buy a bull**** alternator. buy a decent one, and just drive your truck.
yeah, we know they are expensive. a lot of us whined like a mashed cat
when we had to buy one.

and if anyone asks you why you bought such a godawful expensive
alternator, tell them someone on the internet told you to do it.

Old 12-15-2013, 06:15 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Fulthrotl
here's the deal with generating power... the OEM alternator
only puts out 13.2 volts. that will charge a battery to about 25%
of it's capacity.

so... you could have a 300 amp alternator, if it only puts out 13.2
volts, it will never charge above the 25% level. honest.

the higher end DC power alternators put out 14.8 volts, which will
do a couple things.... fully charge the battery, AND supply a healthy
voltage to run the ficm.

this will let the ficm run cooler, and heat destroys the ficm.
ed@ficmrepear.com sells DC power alternators for a reason....
so you don't keep burning up your ficm after he rebuilds it.

glow plugs and engine loads on a cold 6.0 run over 100 amps.
what the alternator can't supply gets sucked from the batteries.
so you have batteries at a 25% charge getting drained until the
engine warms up and the load drops off.... then they can be slowly
charged up to 25% again.

don't buy a bull**** alternator. buy a decent one, and just drive your truck.
yeah, we know they are expensive. a lot of us whined like a mashed cat
when we had to buy one.

and if anyone asks you why you bought such a godawful expensive
alternator, tell them someone on the internet told you to do it.
Not true. Depends on load and time charging. A 100% charged 12 volt wet cell battery is 12.68 volts. Float voltages will be higher but if the battery is at 13.2 volts it is at a float voltage rating. If you don't believe me then google a fully charged 12 volt battery.

Old 12-15-2013, 08:19 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by 69cj
Not true. Depends on load and time charging. A 100% charged 12 volt wet cell battery is 12.68 volts. Float voltages will be higher but if the battery is at 13.2 volts it is at a float voltage rating. If you don't believe me then google a fully charged 12 volt battery.

Exactly^^ He did mention down farther in thread it would charge BUT SLOW

It may or May not Fully charge the length of drive will play

I don't think a OEM 110Amp puts out enough power to run the truck and Charge the batteries at Idle

IIRC OEM puts 85amp at Idle He scaled it at about 100amp

It will Charge it Yes but not Efficantly

Old 07-04-2019, 07:19 PM
Bruin008
Tuned
Old thread, but this is what they say when they say, " Did you use the search function?" "Do a search, there's a lot of information on here about that...".

Anyways, so I noticed my alternator voltage....through my scangauge II is between 11.4+/- and 12.6+/-. I tested my batteries and they are at 12.6v. Started my truck and my voltage dropped to the 11.4-12.6 range with headlights, radio, AC etc off. Both batteries were replaced with NAPA Legend within the past 2 or 3 months and I keep my truck plugged into a batter tender being I don't drive my truck but maybe 5 or 6 times a month. Anyways, I am looking at changing the alternator and I see dcpower is recommended but, as we all know, it comes with a hefty price tag. I don't use my truck for anything special, don't have any special radio system, plow, etc, I just drive it and tow here and there. I am reading on here going with the OEM reman alternator is a bad decision and at a minimum go with the 140amp that came with dual alternator setup....my truck just has single alternator. With all this being said, what would be my best amp alternator to go with that isn't overkill, but will give me the best results. I don's really want to have to change cables and whatever else comes with going with a 200+ amp alternator.

Old 07-04-2019, 07:33 PM
Bruin008
Tuned
According to.......... 190 Amp HD Series Alternator for 6.0L..........this would be the most amps the stock cables can handle and this is what I would go with. What are yalls opinion?

Old 07-04-2019, 07:38 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Received 2,075 Likes on 1,405 Posts
There has to be a hundred newer threads then this.

Your batteries will be in that range for about two minutes after starting if you have the original size alternator of 110a. Three minutes out, voltage should be climbing up.

An alternator around 140a is a good choice on this application. Although what had been a good choice when I bought my brand years ago, it’s since got complicated.

Old 07-04-2019, 07:41 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Received 2,075 Likes on 1,405 Posts
A 190a tops out the stock fusible links. At that point I’m more comfortable with an added parallel positive cable, but at that amps you only need an 8 to 4ga wire, fused of course. That’s not very expensive.

Old 07-04-2019, 09:42 PM
Bruin008
Tuned
Originally Posted by Bruin008
According to.......... 190 Amp HD Series Alternator for 6.0L..........this would be the most amps the stock cables can handle and this is what I would go with. What are yalls opinion?
I had those alternator volts after driving a good 15 min. Never went higher than 12.6.

So are you saying the 190amp is overkill for my application?

Quick Reply: 2006 6.0L Powerstroke diesel alternator