1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Ratrod definition

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 12:24 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
Who cares? You won't find one on this forum....

Old 07-26-2012, 12:46 PM
68, 60 Effie
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Come on Charlie, play along. By definition, someone on this thread has a Ratrod unless everyone here has a finished truck. There are too many ongoing projects that are actually driven in their rough and ratty condition.

Old 07-26-2012, 12:54 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
There's no "rat rods" on this forum. A rat rod and an unfinished truck, car, bicycle, or whatever are NOT the same thing. As far as this entire thread goes--I'm reminded of the old saying of "**** stinks worse when you stir it."

Old 07-26-2012, 01:20 PM
68, 60 Effie
Junior User
OK, Doc, I got it this is a purist forum. I am a purist too. I put them back the way Henry intended them. Flathead and all. I just keep seeing these Ratrods at the car shows I attend. I was wondering what consisted of one, But I went to the wrong forum for the answer.

Old 07-26-2012, 01:35 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 68, 60 Effie
OK, Doc, I got it this is a purist forum. I am a purist too. I put them back the way Henry intended them. Flathead and all. I just keep seeing these Ratrods at the car shows I attend. I was wondering what consisted of one, But I went to the wrong forum for the answer.
Instead of trolling why don't you read some of the posts in this forum - It is a forum about Ford Trucks - Built the way their owners want them - However we have one thing in common - Ratrodders don't belong - Just a question if you are a purist why are you asking questions about Ratrods, you've stated that you've seen them at car shows, if you have you know what they are
Keep trolling and you're sure to catch something

Old 07-26-2012, 01:35 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
Come on Charlie, play along. By definition, someone on this thread has a Ratrod unless everyone here has a finished truck. There are too many ongoing projects that are actually driven in their rough and ratty condition.
Play along? If you feel that an "ongoing project" qualifies as a rat rod then I can see why you posed the original question. To the owner of a rat rod it IS a finished truck/car. As you can read in the posts on this thread, there's not much love for rat rods here.

Old 07-26-2012, 01:44 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
I know there has been a few rat rodders on here. One I can think of is the guy in NY who was building one out of F-5 or F-6. Dropped the body way down to the ground and kept the big truck tires. I've seen a few a this type of build on the net, IMO, I think they look hideous.

Old 07-26-2012, 01:45 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 764 Likes on 374 Posts
This is definitely not a purist forum. We have all types of engines, including a Mercedes Diesel. We even have a bunch of C***y engines. We have 4 door conversion on trucks and COE's, chops, just about any suspension you can think of. We even have great articles on which suspensions and rears fit best on what truck. We have shortened frames, lengthened frames, boxed frames, modern frame, you name it.

I think folks gave some good definitions of what a rat rod has become, although each person has their own definition. From what I have seen, rat rods are vehicles that are thrown together and meant to look thrown together. If you want to say the forum is full of purists, that would be the case when it involves safety. Other than that it's fair game.

Frankly asking the definition of rat rod, hot rod, traditional hot rod, darkside, stock or any of there other terms will get you 10 different answers when you ask 10 different people.

So bottom line, if you build a vehicle that wont kill you or anyone around you and you post pictures, it's all good and who cares what you call it.

Old 07-26-2012, 01:45 PM
68, 60 Effie
Junior User
I didn't post here to offend anyone. One of my trucks is not completed and I drive it to shows. Not to show it off, but just to participate. I have fun with it. I come here to FTE to gather what Info I need to help me. This is the most informative goup on the web. Like I said earlier, it was just a question, but this forum was not the right place for it. Thanks for all the responses.

Old 07-26-2012, 01:49 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
One of my trucks is not completed and I drive it to shows. Not to show it off, but just to participate. I have fun with it.
Now that is definitely not a rat rod. That is what 70% of the group have. The other 30% hope to get theirs running at some point in time. Shoot, if I wouldn't get arrested, when I get the engine running and brakes, I would drive it to the monthly Sonic car show without the body. Hey the Sonic is less than a mile away.

Old 07-26-2012, 02:09 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ratrod

Old 07-26-2012, 06:53 PM
FordinmyFord
New User
WOW! I'm glad you welcome everyone BUT Rat Rods. But yet you all build Chevys or Mercedes or what every engine you can find..... Hmm sounds rat rodish to me.... Show me a flat-4 in a model A thats kool! Chevy in a Ford not so much. Keep with the Make. There are many readers out there such as I who don't like you talking bad about us Rat Rodders. At least we do our own work and not spend thousands for a shop to do it for us. If we break down we fix it and drive on. I know there's people like me who work on there own trucks but I have met many truckers who don't know how to change a tire. My truck is all my work. Like it or walk away(its what I do when I see your 350...HAHAHA)

Old 07-26-2012, 08:22 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by FordinmyFord
WOW! I'm glad you welcome everyone BUT Rat Rods. But yet you all build Chevys or Mercedes or what every engine you can find..... Hmm sounds rat rodish to me.... Show me a flat-4 in a model A thats kool! Chevy in a Ford not so much. Keep with the Make. There are many readers out there such as I who don't like you talking bad about us Rat Rodders. At least we do our own work and not spend thousands for a shop to do it for us. If we break down we fix it and drive on. I know there's people like me who work on there own trucks but I have met many truckers who don't know how to change a tire. My truck is all my work. Like it or walk away(its what I do when I see your 350...HAHAHA)
Welcome to FTE. We would love to see your truck. How about you start a new thread with some pictures. We love pictures.

Most of us do our own work on our trucks. Me because I can't afford any other way and I love the challenge. Maybe you misunderstood what we consider rat rod here. Today's rat rods are more about shock value with little regard to safety; in my eyes anyway.

One of the things said on this forum over and over is "It's your truck, do what you want with it." Many people have the engine they have because that was what was in it when they got it and don't have the funds to change. I'm not fond of a Ford truck with a Chevy engine, but they are driving theirs, I'm not, so they are better off than me.

Old 07-26-2012, 08:31 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
FordinmyFord,

Funny how you only have one post (at this time) this one and you come on here and mouth off. How did you find this post? I have a feeling some one pointed you toward here just to add a little heat and validation for rat rods.

I think you don't get the reason why rat rods are looked down at from most areas of the car hobby. Most, and in my experience all, are cobbled together pieces of crap. They are distorted in form and look like they take little or no talent to slap together. Most are so distorted in design I can't see how they can be safely driven on the street. But that is my opinion. I am confident I could build a rat rod in an afternoon but I wouldn't wasted my time, talent or materials doing it. If I'm going to build something I want it to be safe and aesthetically appealing. I can pull a rusty heap out of the deep weeds, not do anything to it and have the same results as a rat rod.

There is a great deal of difference between a piece of junk thrown together in a rust heap and a vehicle safely assembled with a different drive line. I personally prefer not mixing and matching but, again, that is my preference. You also harangue members for not being like you and having some one else do all the work on their trucks. I find this extremely insulting, especially to this group. While there are a few who have posted about paying some one to do the work on their trucks I can assure you the vast majority of the members of this board do their own work. I for one have done 99% of the work on my trucks. I've put a lot of literally blood, sweat and tears in my trucks so don't come here with one post and evaluate our members.

You made the statement, " At least we do our own work and not spend thousands for a shop to do it for us. If we break down we fix it and drive on." The rat rods I've seen I don't think there's an "if", I think it's "when", and often at that.

Personally I think you're a one time poster and won't be back to respond to any rebuttals to your post.

Old 07-26-2012, 09:28 PM
FordinmyFord
New User
Yes I have one post due to I search for what I need answered and read posts. But when you all say bad things about rat rods i have to speek up. And why give this guy crap for wanting one? Better then any Darksider. I also stated that some not all don't do the work themselves. You state 99% you did whats that 1% you didn't? Went to a Car Show and a rat rod won 6 trophies. Seems liked to me in the car hobby. What about your 48/51 F-4. 2 in 1 Sounds like a wax in trunk rat rod. We take what we can find to make a car/truck. I also don't want to worry about scratches or dents. There is nothing wrong with all your trucks... as long as they run a ford. I like to see your flat8 or yblock or even the amazing I-6 rods or restos. But I don't go around talking bad about trailer queens until you bash my truck. Ya'll just need to be careful what you say about others. I know I have said thinks i shouldn't but ya'll just made me mad.

Quick Reply: Ratrod definition