First thread...7.3L powerstroke injection stiction

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 09:58 AM
cricker1974
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First thread...7.3L powerstroke injection stiction

Hey Everyone,
Would like some feed back on Hot Shots Secret at the following site. Hot Shot's Secret Diesel Oil Additive. Curious about anyone here having or seeing it work succesfully. Just placed an order for it and diesel extreme fuel cleaner. Diesel Extreme. Let me know if anyone has anything good yo say about either product.

My powerstroke has at least two injectors throwing trouble codes and the motor is at about half power now. Gonna give this product a shot to see if it works before I drop $3000 into the new injectors. Any comments or issues with this stuff to watch for?

Old 07-22-2012, 10:02 AM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to FTE.

Snake oil. Been discused many times on here and most people think it should not be added to the oil in a 7.3. The HPOP pressures the oil over 3,000 psi and any oil additive will make the oil foam.

Injectors are not 3,000.00.

Old 07-22-2012, 10:17 AM
guitarpicr
Cargo Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Like Rick said - Not for the 7.3 - This was designed more for the 6.0 IIRC from past threads

Old 07-22-2012, 10:55 AM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by cricker1974
My powerstroke has at least two injectors throwing trouble codes and the motor is at about half power now. Gonna give this product a shot to see if it works before I drop $3000 into the new injectors. Any comments or issues with this stuff to watch for?
Welcome to .

Which injectors are throwing codes. If it is 3 and 8 after a CCT then that is most likely do to the CPS installed during the CPS recall. There could be other reasons for the power loss.

Old 07-22-2012, 11:41 AM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
If you have injectors sticking on a cold start and then smooths out when up to temp then no additive will help an the injector will need a rebuild.

I run Hot shot secret on every oil change and have no issue with foaming. The only thing that I noticed is the injectors are quieter

Old 07-22-2012, 11:36 PM
cricker1974
New User
Is there a good engine flush treatment out there? Planning on flushing , topping off with Rotella T-6, and putting a good filter on. Was looking at K&N oil filter if that's a good way to go let me know. I also plan to swap out the water/fuel filter. A lot of maintenance need to get the beast back to normal. Really hoping to avoid swapping out 8 injectors but we shall see. Let me know the best oil and fuel filters to go with so I can Get R Dun.

Old 07-23-2012, 06:36 AM
4EXTRDR
Senior User
Give us some details on your truck, especially mileage. It could most definitely be something different than the actual injector being bad. How long have you owned the truck? is it stock or modded? Our injectors for the most part are pretty durable.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:21 AM
kawcrasher
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Only the electrical side of injectors will throw codes. No amount of additives, flushes, or oil changes will fix that.

I'd check the UVCH's first.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:46 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Only "extra" stuff I dump in any of my fluids is 2 cycle oil in the fuel.

Old 07-23-2012, 01:51 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 290 Likes on 150 Posts
Originally Posted by miller_feed
Welcome to FTE.

Snake oil. Been discused many times on here and most people think it should not be added to the oil in a 7.3. The HPOP pressures the oil over 3,000 psi and any oil additive will make the oil foam.
Not quite...

I ran Hot Shot Secret for the first time Winter 2008 with some very good results. My injectors (at the time) were stock, had well over 200k, and were starting to show their age. Winter 2007, truck had a problem where an injector would suddenly start missing and the motor would pour out white/blue smoke. (motor was up to temp)

It happened again Winter 2008 and I ordered some Hot Shot Secret as a result. After the truck warmed up after the oil change with hot shot, the truck ran noticably quieter. It just so happened that I had to make a last minute drive to Dallas (4 hour drive) which gave HSS plenty of time to do whatever it had to do. After a total of 8 hours on the road (Dallas and back in one night) my truck was ran noticably better and also averaged 19.4 mpg on winter fuel. The problem I had with an injector sticking and causing blue smoke also went away and never came back.

Since then, I always take advantage of the Spring sale on HSS (2 bottles of HSS and 2 bottles of the fuel additive). I run one treatment late fall, early winter and generally have no problems.

Originally Posted by cricker1974
Is there a good engine flush treatment out there? Planning on flushing , topping off with Rotella T-6, and putting a good filter on. Was looking at K&N oil filter if that's a good way to go let me know. I also plan to swap out the water/fuel filter. A lot of maintenance need to get the beast back to normal. Really hoping to avoid swapping out 8 injectors but we shall see. Let me know the best oil and fuel filters to go with so I can Get R Dun.
As far as a good engine flush, for a 7.3 draining the oil itself is as good as it gets. The 7.3 and it's high pressure oil system has no need for any type of flushing as a gas motor would.

-Drain the oil
-Change the filter
-Add good, clean oil and be on your way

As far as an air filter, The 6637 filter flows the best and is a great option for the 7.3. It's available in both paper and washable and really helps the 7.3 breathe all the air it wants.

Riffraff Diesel: AFE "Big Boost" BHAF Washable Filter

If you have the time, bread, and patience to do it, you could swap all injectors as a preventative maintenance item and do the 50 cent mod since you're already below the valve covers.

Riffraff Diesel: Stock Rebuilt Injectors

You'll spend just under $1000 for the injectors (plus the core charge), unless you go with Stage 1 injectors like I did.

A simple way to find out which injector(s) are bad is to:

-Pull both valve covers

-Start the motor and look at the top of the injector closest to the motor. You should see the injector spitting oil, if it's not, it's a bad injector.

-Another sure fire way to check is to have the motor running and unplug and re-plug the connector on the injector. If the sound of the motor doesn't change with you unplugging and replugging and injector, you've found your suspect injector.

Old 09-20-2015, 12:51 PM
Jake Ledgerwood
New User
Works.

I had a 05 6.0 giving me codes after some bad fuel. Tried a few additives but Hot Shots worked great. I have a 97 7.3 comin up on an oil change and I plan on using it again.

Old 09-21-2015, 07:05 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 290 Likes on 150 Posts
Originally Posted by Jake Ledgerwood
I had a 05 6.0 giving me codes after some bad fuel. Tried a few additives but Hot Shots worked great. I have a 97 7.3 comin up on an oil change and I plan on using it again.
I failed to mention Hot Shot's fuel additive: Diesel Extreme.

Diesel Extreme actually saved the injectors on my 6.0 after using an additive I can't mention here, for a long period of time. My mileage tanked, starts were getting rougher, performance was suffering, and I was almost sure I'd have to replace all 8 injectors. Living Large suggested I try an additive before going that route so I did. Power Service Diesel Kleen, Stanadyne Blue Label, or Stanadyne Brown label didn't save it. The only thing that saved my injectors was Diesel Extreme. I ended up having to replace my #2 injector as it was too far gone, but the other 7 survived.

I also used Diesel Extreme along with the Stiction Eliminator on my journey to and from Dallas back in 2008.