Sponsored by: Moser

Front Sway Bar Related Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 02:35 PM
hooperdoski
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front Sway Bar Related Questions

I have a 1977 Ford Ranger XLT Four Wheel Drive. When I bought it from the previous owner he handed me the sway bar and a couple of modified (lengthened) sway bar links. I'm now getting around to trying to install it, but I'm missing some parts. Does anyone know where I can get either the new or used sway bar parts that I am missing, excluding the bushings?

A picture of the sway bar that I marked up is here: http://pages.suddenlink.net/budnsha/...r%20marked.jpg

Also, because of the modified/lengthened sway bar links, I think the truck has been raised. Can anyone tell me what the measurement from the ground to the bottom of the cab on a stock 1977 F250 Ranger XLT is?

Thank you.

Old 07-26-2012, 10:40 AM
hooperdoski
Freshman User
Let me rephrase this:

I would still like to know the measurement from the ground to the bottom of the cab on a stock 1977 F250 Ranger XLT, but the pressing thing is the sway bar link lengthening. Say the truck is lifted ...... Why would the sway bar links need to be lengthened? Or, what situation or modification would cause the previous owner to extend the link length approximately three inches?

Thanks.

Old 07-26-2012, 11:23 AM
mark a.
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 97 Posts
I believe there is also a flat piece of steel that goes up under the shock mount on the left side that is not in the picture you posted. What parts are you missing ? The only reason they would be lengthened is the truck was lifted. If you could post a picture of the springs we could tell you. Your truck would have had reverse arch speings from the factory. If it has lift springs or maybe someone put High Boy springs under it then it will have positive arch springs ( like the rear springs ).

Old 07-26-2012, 07:33 PM
hooperdoski
Freshman User
Mark, I think the flat piece of metal under the shock mount is shown in the picture. The picture shows two mid-section sway bar bushings. The one at the top mounts to the metal that the shock mounts to.

As for the pieces I'm missing: I need all the sway bar and links bushings, but I know where to get those. The other pieces I'm missing, that are hard to get, are the three pieces I have black lines going to in the picture. I asked about those because I'm hoping someone knows a salvage yard are website that deals in used parts for Ford Pickups.

The front springs do have slightly negative arches.

I will post some pictures of of my suspension, but it might not get done till Tuesday.

Thanks.

Old 07-28-2012, 12:33 PM
hooperdoski
Freshman User
This is a reply to the previous two posts.

Here is a new Web Page Link:

F250 Suspension .

It shows one picture of my truck, one picture of the rear spring and two other pictures showing both front springs.

Also when I took the pictures for that web page I noticed everything in the suspension looked stock and I could not find anything that looked like a body lift kit. And, I also thought that maybe the previous owner installed a suspension lift kit and then removed it and when he removed it he decided not to install the sway bar because he didn’t want to buy new sway bar links.

Last edited by hooperdoski; 07-28-2012 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Added Sentence
Old 07-28-2012, 06:26 PM
mark a.
Lead Driver
Those are the stock front springs. I probably have all those pieces. If you want me too look around for them send me a PM.

Old 07-29-2012, 06:58 PM
hooperdoski
Freshman User
Mark, I don't know how to PM. Can you tell me how to do it?

Old 07-31-2012, 07:21 PM
hooperdoski
Freshman User
Can anyone tell me how to PM a person? I have tried to figure it out and can't. Does it require a special membership?

Thanks.

Old 07-31-2012, 07:57 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Old 07-31-2012, 10:53 PM
piperig78
Senior User
I would bet the guy you bought the truck from got the swaybar& linksoff a lifted truck and never installed them because he couldn't find the brackets. you can find the bushing clamps as universal ones, and the rest aren't very far off from an exhaust clamp. just need to have a way to stop the clamp on the passanger side from rotating. stock i believe the is a stud on the axle and a hole in the exhuast clamp part.

Old 08-01-2012, 08:59 AM
mark a.
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by hooperdoski
Can anyone tell me how to PM a person? I have tried to figure it out and can't. Does it require a special membership?

Thanks.
I think you have to have 10 post or so before you can pm someone, sorry I didn't notice that you only had a few. I will look for them if you want them ?

Old 08-01-2012, 10:47 AM
hooperdoski
Freshman User
Yes, I am interested. Here's what I need:

1) Both Sway Bar Links w/Bolts
2) The Right Side Sway Bar hardware (U-Bolt, Spacer and Bushing Hold-Down w/bolts)

Can you let me know what that stuff will cost w/Shipping Cost and how we'll work out payment?

As I can't PM you, can you email me at bhodorowski@yahoo.com.

Thanks.

Old 08-01-2012, 07:38 PM
mark a.
Lead Driver
I think you only need 10 post to get your pm turned on ? Maybe someone will chime in on that one. I will look for all that stuff tomorow.

Old 08-02-2012, 03:59 PM
hooperdoski
Freshman User
Okay. Sounds good. I'll wait to hear from you.

Old 08-02-2012, 04:19 PM
hooperdoski
Freshman User
Mark, I left a message on your profile page.

Quick Reply: Front Sway Bar Related Questions