1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Train Horns

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 11:27 AM
53pickemuptruck
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Pete you convinced me not to put one on.Besides they want to much money for them anyway.Keep on truckin!

Old 07-26-2012, 08:12 PM
thekendoe1
New User
toot toot

I have one. I'm in Fla and its legal to have 1 as long as you're not being a nuisance. I got mine from hornblasters.com. I love mine.

Old 07-27-2012, 08:13 AM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by thekendoe1
I have one. I'm in Fla and its legal to have 1 as long as you're not being a nuisance. I got mine from hornblasters.com. I love mine.
I think that you are playing with fire:
Florida Laws: FL Statutes - Title XXIII Motor Vehicles Section 316.001
316.271 Horns and warning devices.

(1) Every motor vehicle when operated upon a highway shall be equipped with a horn in good working order and capable of emitting sound audible under normal conditions from a distance of not less than 200 feet.

(2) No horn or other warning device shall emit an unreasonably loud or harsh sound or a whistle.

(3) The driver of a motor vehicle shall, when reasonably necessary to ensure safe operation, give audible warning with his or her horn, but shall not otherwise use such horn when upon a highway.

(4) No vehicle shall be equipped with, nor shall any person use upon a vehicle, any siren, whistle, or bell, except as otherwise permitted in this section.

(5) It is permissible but not required that any vehicle be equipped with a theft alarm signal device which is so arranged that it cannot be used by the driver as an ordinary warning signal.
It looks like you meet #3 but #2 could get you on a bad day.

Old 07-27-2012, 08:43 AM
thekendoe1
New User
everybody knows the law.

[B](2) No horn or other warning device shall emit an unreasonably loud or harsh sound or a whistle.

The key word is unreasonably loud or harsh sound.
Trains are equipped with them and a good number of big trucks . have them them. They are rated at
150 db @ 150 feet. I know a dozen sheriffs officers and and about as many ditch bandits. "Hwy patrol" and none of which said when I was researching it would write a ticket unless u were riding around somebody's neighbourhood being a nuisance.
I use mine for what it was intended to be used for. Plus its hooked up to my regular horn and if u buy the kit from hornblasters dot com it comes with a small switch that I have hidden in a discrete location for easy access to turn it off. No where in the Fla statutes does it say that train horns are illegal period. As I said I have had mine for 4 years and I have never looked back. I would never own a vehicle without one having been a high speed multiple roll over auto accident in 2004 because some 19 yr old kid ran me off the road.

Old 07-27-2012, 09:30 AM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
[B](2) No horn or other warning device shall emit an unreasonably loud or harsh sound or a whistle.

The key word is unreasonably loud or harsh sound.
Trains are equipped with them and a good number of big trucks . have them them. They are rated at
150 db @ 150 feet. I know a dozen sheriffs officers and and about as many ditch bandits. "Hwy patrol" and none of which said when I was researching it would write a ticket unless u were riding around somebody's neighbourhood being a nuisance.
I use mine for what it was intended to be used for. Plus its hooked up to my regular horn and if u buy the kit from hornblasters dot com it comes with a small switch that I have hidden in a discrete location for easy access to turn it off. No where in the Fla statutes does it say that train horns are illegal period. As I said I have had mine for 4 years and I have never looked back. I would never own a vehicle without one having been a high speed multiple roll over auto accident in 2004 because some 19 yr old kid ran me off the road.
You aren't a train or a big truck. You'll give one of those old folks in Florida a heart attack then see how many of the LEOs say that they even know you.

Old 07-27-2012, 10:16 AM
thekendoe1
New User
train horns rule.

I beg to differ. The horn is on my 2005 Ford F-250 which weighs over 8240 lbs and is in the state of Florida tagged the same as a commercial vehicle. I am reminded of that every December when I have to write the check for the tag renewal and if lil on granny or grand paw violate my space on the road they get a taste of the hornblaster. Trust me it gets there attention.

Old 07-27-2012, 10:21 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 610 Likes on 379 Posts
A horn is a safety device to warn other drivers, not a tool to punish those you feel slighted by. I can't even remember the last time I used mine.

Old 07-27-2012, 10:25 AM
thekendoe1
New User
Read the previous post that I posted homer. I use my horn for what it was intended for. I don't go around scaring people for the fun of it. I have better things to do with my time.

Old 07-27-2012, 10:49 AM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
I beg to differ. The horn is on my 2005 Ford F-250 which weighs over 8240 lbs and is in the state of Florida tagged the same as a commercial vehicle. I am reminded of that every December when I have to write the check for the tag renewal and if lil on granny or grand paw violate my space on the road they get a taste of the hornblaster. Trust me it gets there attention.
Hey "homer" . . . cut the old folks a break. That will be you one day. Karma paybacks can be hell . . .

Old 07-27-2012, 10:55 AM
thekendoe1
New User
That's ok grand paw. Stay out of my way or you will get the hornblaster and its a real possibility that u will loose control of ur functions. I'm loaded for bear and I not afraid to use it. Come on get cha some

Old 07-27-2012, 12:05 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 610 Likes on 379 Posts
"Homer"? Really?? What is it, Troll Week on FTE?

Old 07-27-2012, 12:28 PM
BACAGrizz
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
I have a semi tractor air horn that I am installing under the hood of my 56 which will be run off the storage tank from my air ride system. It only has one trumpet but is loud enough to get your attention.

Old 07-27-2012, 12:58 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 765 Likes on 375 Posts
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
"Homer"? Really?? What is it, Troll Week on FTE?
LOL!!! Now that you mention it, I think you are right. After several of his posts I went up and saw his post count.
It has made things entertaining, but I don't get ruffled about comments....although "Homer"??? Well it makes me laugh actually, more about thinking that someone would actually post like that....

Old 07-29-2012, 08:08 AM
1952henry
Fleet Mechanic
Received 152 Likes on 92 Posts
Why not spring for a mighty Kahlenberg from a ship?

https://www.kahlenberg.com/sound.html

Old 07-29-2012, 10:05 AM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Wink

Originally Posted by 1952henry
Why not spring for a mighty Kahlenberg from a ship?
Yes, those would clear the road wouldn't they? Or you could get one of these, mount it on your truck and toot your own whistle:
http://www.steam-whistles.com/sounds/cass_railfan/Powell_candy_factory.mp3

Attached Images   

Quick Reply: Train Horns