1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1956 F-100 Limo

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 05:55 AM
jaye
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1956 F-100 Limo

What a waste...go to ebay & search item # 200793734425. It look like a lot of body work however, I think there were a lot of good parts wasted.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:14 AM
dynamic
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Here is a link for the cut and past challenged.

1956 F100 Limo < click there.

Personally I like the truck. Its the super long school bus version of the truck im building.

The seller says the truck was built 20 years ago, and parked for 10.

It has 14 bidders so far.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:25 AM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 129 Likes on 56 Posts
I just can't help but ask this. I live in the heart of the rust belt myself. I've parked cars outside for much longer. Hell I've parked farm equipment and broken lawnmowers outside for almost as long that already had rust and bare metal to begin with. None of them looked that bad afterwards. HOW on earth does that truck go from reportedly being in Truckin magazine in 1999 to that condition 13 years later? One would assume that it got a quality paint job at some point in its life and was being properly cared for at least part of its life. So how on earth does it go to the point that there are bare rusty spots the size of dinner plates all over the thing now. What did they do--walk outside every week and pour acid on it? Then there's the interior--are you kidding? Did some homeless person live in that truck for the past 20 years? Does the seller not at least own a vacuum cleaner? Keep in mind this truck was in a MAGAZINE just barely over 10 years ago. WOW!!!

And, I'm sorry, that's got to be one of the ugliest vehicles I've ever seen.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:44 AM
dynamic
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Picture it all cleaned up, fresh paint, tonneau cover, new rims/tires, new interior.

And your Son or Daughter hoping into the back and heading off to prom, or the wedding chapel.

I think that would turn some heads.

Obviously the Ford guy in me says the drivetrain has to be swapped for either a ford gas or diesel engine, but otherwise, as limos go... this truck would be my first choice.

Old 07-19-2012, 09:03 AM
homade
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Doc, don't hold back, tell us what you really think. I was thinking about bidding on it, Garry

Old 07-19-2012, 09:12 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It's different. I like it! There are several companies around the nation that use old/vintage vehicles and limos for weddings, etc. My wife and I had one on our wedding day. It was cool to ride in a restored old vehicle on our wedding day. I see this truck as a business opportunity. By the time this truck is restored again, it'll probably cost just as much as a newer used limo.

If I had $50-60k to burn, I'd be buying this truck. I could do without the tandem rear axle though.

Old 07-19-2012, 09:15 AM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 129 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by homade
Hey Doc, don't hold back, tell us what you really think. I was thinking about bidding on it, Garry
LOL. Well shovel the rat turds out of it, sand it down and paint it, and then replace those tractor tires. After that, I might see it in a different light. I can see the attraction that it has. The hard work is done. They just neglected it big time.

Old 07-19-2012, 09:45 AM
South of BC
Elder User
I'm 90% with Doc. When I looked at the truck I wondered how it got in the condition it is in considering when it was built and what was obviously some cost. I suppose some blame could be poor prep before painting, which would suggest poor craftsmanship all around. This truck looks like it sat in an impound lot, left to the elements and stripped of some parts.

The 10% I'm not with is that this is the ugliest vehicle I've ever seen. Maybe Doc don't get out much, I've seen uglier.

I also agree with just about everyone else. It is different, somewhat refreshingly, for a limo. If I were to ever to need a limo service, which has yet to come up and isn't likely, I would choose an fat fendered limo over a hummer or a caddy any day.

But it is a waste of good parts that would have been better served on more deserving projects. There are enough fiberglass parts made to have pulled this project off, which would have avoided the rust issues!

Old 07-19-2012, 09:54 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The neglect reminds me of the custom showcars of the 50s that were sold off after they made the rounds and then were abandoned by the different owners throughout the years. I read a story about one that ended up in Mexico, then found and the restoration was begun to bring it back to its former show condition.

Old 07-19-2012, 11:44 AM
sky56
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm 50/50 in this thing but I'll def say that here in Chicago all you ever see for the most part is stupid hummers and that h2 crap, escalades, and similar. There is a company that rents out a old 30's rolls Royce limo which is rare to see (prob $$$$$) but I think restored that thing would generate revenue like crazy in a big city. Should be interesting to see where the bidding stops.

Old 07-19-2012, 12:53 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 613 Likes on 380 Posts
Originally Posted by Doc
.... One would assume that it got a quality paint job at some point in its life and was being properly cared for at least part of its life...
That's it right there -- Assuming it was a quality conversion in the first place. I'd say the evidence is clear that they have bondo slathered all over the roof seams, on the doors, and who knows where else? A quicky paint job (white hides an awful lot), a decade goes by, and moisture under the bondo is popping the paint and bondo off. I'd wager it spent more time in Houston than in Tulsa from the amount of rust.

I'd really like to see that magazine article, I wonder if it was one of those Reader's Rides columns with a 1" x 1" photo?!

Old 07-19-2012, 07:07 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,469 Likes on 1,408 Posts
I remember these being all the rage some 20-30 years ago, and the dual rear axle was there to accommodate a hot tub in the back. Not saying this truck had one, but I have seen it before. I'd also venture to guess if the "body has cancer" it was there before the conversion and never dealt with properly. I would be quite the project for someone, though.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:43 PM
South of BC
Elder User
Would you now??

Old 07-20-2012, 08:57 AM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
That's it right there -- Assuming it was a quality conversion in the first place. I'd say the evidence is clear that they have bondo slathered all over the roof seams, on the doors, and who knows where else? A quicky paint job (white hides an awful lot), a decade goes by, and moisture under the bondo is popping the paint and bondo off. I'd wager it spent more time in Houston than in Tulsa from the amount of rust.

I'd really like to see that magazine article, I wonder if it was one of those Reader's Rides columns with a 1" x 1" photo?!
I agree with Doc. What a waste of a good truck. And it is obvious that quality was never a consideration because it only lasted 10 years in service.

52 Merc's comment about a hot tub is interesting . . . there is no floor in the bed so there is no evidence but chlorine gas is very corrosive. I wonder if that is why there is so much rust.

Whoever buys this better have deep pockets or be an expert fabricator 'cause there is nothing standard about this truck. They are going to have to make a lot of parts. Maybe they ought to paint the name "Buyer's Remorse" on the side.