6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Blue smoke -- Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 11:32 AM
Hackercraft
Freshman User
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Blue smoke -- Help

So I purchased the '06 6.0L King Ranch a couple months ago. Put 3,500 miles on it and it has run great. Watching deltas on the EOT vs. WT because the WT runs a bit high (190-192) with EOT of 202-05.

Last week, truck started to have a little puff of blue smoke when accelerating from a stoplight. In 3 days time, that "puff" become more and more pronounced. Still doesn't smoke on starting it up, either hot or cold, and doesn't smoke if I'm driving and then stomp on accelerator. Only does it after sitting at a light or stop sign.

Help with diagnostics or is there a definite problem?
Thanks!

Old 07-16-2012, 11:54 AM
berick
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Hackercraft
So I purchased the '06 6.0L King Ranch a couple months ago. Put 3,500 miles on it and it has run great. Watching deltas on the EOT vs. WT because the WT runs a bit high (190-192) with EOT of 202-05.

Last week, truck started to have a little puff of blue smoke when accelerating from a stoplight. In 3 days time, that "puff" become more and more pronounced. Still doesn't smoke on starting it up, either hot or cold, and doesn't smoke if I'm driving and then stomp on accelerator. Only does it after sitting at a light or stop sign.

Help with diagnostics or is there a definite problem?
Thanks!
Water temp looks good and oil temp isn't bad either. Are these temps taken at a steady highway speed after driving for maybe 20 minutes with no load or hills? Your delta is still within the acceptable parameters. Have you checked your EGR valve? I know mine puffs a bit when it gets dirty or needs to be replaced

Old 07-16-2012, 12:08 PM
Hackercraft
Freshman User
Yes, EOT/WT temps are after getting to operating temps and mix driving of highway/in city. EOT did get hotter than that though after driving >80mph for 6 hours on Memorial Day. (Hot air temp, black asphalt and stop and go due to accident.) Pretty common values on regular driving because I constantly watch them. With my luck, I assume all will come apart on me.

My gut tells me a seal went somewhere because it started with a little blue smoke (that I happened to suddenly notice) but over the next couple days, it got bigger and thicker where I couldn't help but see it.

Old 07-16-2012, 12:35 PM
berick
Elder User
Takes 5 minutes tops to check the EGR and it can be replaced for as low as $100 or cleaned for free if the seals etc... are still good. I know that little buggar is what does it to my pick-up most of the time.

Old 07-16-2012, 12:58 PM
Fordflanigan
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My truck had the same symptom you describe, smoke only at acceleration from stop signs and lights. Ended up being an oil leak in the turbo, I believe there is a seal in there that can go bad, but maybe someone else can confirm this. This was a few years ago and was repaired by the dealer under warranty, all they told me was an oil leak in the turbo.

Old 07-16-2012, 01:01 PM
Hackercraft
Freshman User
Thanks, Berick.

Could you post or send to mreckowsky@purdue.edu the steps to check the EGR? I looked on the Excel sheet and performed a search on the 6.0 forum but I didn't see it.

Old 07-16-2012, 01:02 PM
Hackercraft
Freshman User
My brother who lives out of state and used to work on diesels (1985-94) said there's a seal that can go and oil will sneak past it while idling. Wish he lived closer.

Old 07-16-2012, 01:04 PM
berick
Elder User
Thanks, Berick.

Could you post or send to mreckowsky@purdue.edu the steps to check the EGR? I looked on the Excel sheet and performed a search on the 6.0 forum but I didn't see it.
Here ya go bud!

03-07 Ford Powerstroke EGR Valve Removal and Cleaning - YouTube

Just to add to this vid...... make sure when you clean the carbon off that NO CLEANERS go into the tiny vent holes on the upper portion of the EGR valve... it can mess around with how it opens and closes. Also, the black crud should be dry carbon build up.... if it is sopping wet, then you have another problem that will need to be addressed. Worry about that if it is in fact an issue.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:14 AM
Hackercraft
Freshman User
Thanks, Berick! The video is fantastic.

I pulled the EGR and it had a lot of build up on it. I cleaned it off including opening the valve and really cleaning the seats.

Following that, the truck would blow out black AND white/blue smoke under acceleration. The black stopped after a short drive but the original problem, white/blue smoke during acceleration after stop sign/light, persists. The smoke wasn't as pronounced as last week but is definitely still there.

I couldn't get new o-rings (except for purchasing a whole intake manifold kit) but found comparables in an o-ring kit for distributors. I plan on ordering new ones from Sinister today.

What else can I diagnose? I'm figuring it's a seal in the turbo but would love to find a way to pinpoint the problem.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:25 AM
berick
Elder User
Thanks, Berick! The video is fantastic.

I pulled the EGR and it had a lot of build up on it. I cleaned it off including opening the valve and really cleaning the seats.

Following that, the truck would blow out black AND white/blue smoke under acceleration. The black stopped after a short drive but the original problem, white/blue smoke during acceleration after stop sign/light, persists. The smoke wasn't as pronounced as last week but is definitely still there.

I couldn't get new o-rings (except for purchasing a whole intake manifold kit) but found comparables in an o-ring kit for distributors. I plan on ordering new ones from Sinister today.

What else can I diagnose? I'm figuring it's a seal in the turbo but would love to find a way to pinpoint the problem.
What does the exhaust smell like when you tromp on it? Is it rich with fuel or can you get a whiff of coolant in there?

Old 07-17-2012, 08:26 AM
berick
Elder User
Also, when you pulled the EGR was it bone dry or damp?

Old 07-17-2012, 08:37 AM
Hackercraft
Freshman User
Bone dry on the valve. I used a large paperclip and pulled some of the soot out of the manifold where the valve fit in and there was some "shiny/crystal-like" soot I pulled out. I can't say that that was "wet" but I can't say it wasn't either.

I'm not good with smells, unfortunately. (allergies)

Thanks for following on this one.

Old 07-18-2012, 07:54 PM
Hackercraft
Freshman User
Well after cleaning the EGR valve the white or white/blue smoke almost went completely away but by the time I pulled into my driveway this evening, it was smoking heavy like before. I will try to have neighbor smell it tomorrow.
Anyone have thoughts on why it would be intermittent like described? EGR cooler bad? Turbo??

Old 07-18-2012, 08:35 PM
Snuggyworm
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by berick
Takes 5 minutes tops to check the EGR and it can be replaced for as low as $100 or cleaned for free if the seals etc... are still good. I know that little buggar is what does it to my pick-up most of the time.
it is ford's recommendations that the o-rings be replaced when u remove the egr valve to clean it. when heat is applied to the o-rings and they expand, then the minuscule cracks become evident to our engine, and that can create complications.

definitely dont wan that.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:51 PM
Hackercraft
Freshman User
Thanks Snug. So to be sure this neophyte (me) is on track, you suggest I wait until I get those o-rings from sinister before I get desperate or do you think I replace the EGR or ..?

Quick Reply: Blue smoke -- Help