1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

New 84, Now the fun begins!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 04:04 PM
Chris Guthro
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New 84, Now the fun begins!

Hello Guy's!

My name is Chris Guthro. Im 19 years old and over the last year and a half ive been gathering up as many 80-96 f-series as I could find. ive got about 3 92-96's and enough parts to build 2 haha. Ive recently came across an old truck my freinds dad had for a while. He started working away so he laid the truck up and I snagged it fairly cheap due to a cracked 351 block haha. Heres the Specs;

-Built C6 from a reputable transmission shop around my area. Apparently a good shift kit

-Straight body and Good Frame, new cab crossmember. 9'' rear with a limited slip. Rear sway bar! Factory bucket seats from a bronco. As well as a fairly clean interior. The motor was taken out by the previous owner. Heres some pictures. This project will be a complete frame off with all brand new steel and a built 393 stroker!! I need to put that limited slip and c6 to work tell me what you think.

Old 07-14-2012, 05:35 PM
burnout400m
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds cool. Them little tires are fugly though.

Old 07-14-2012, 07:50 PM
Grubbworm
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If the price was right, looks like you got yourself a pretty good deal.

Old 07-14-2012, 08:37 PM
1983F1503004x4
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That'll be a great truck to build.

Rather than build a stroker motor from a 351, why not start with a 400 (we had a thread on this a while back, and the consensus was to build what you want to build, but I'm just planting the little evil seed in your head to be unique)?

Old 07-14-2012, 10:44 PM
'86 F150
Senior User
Looks like it is going to be a fun truck. Nice haul.

Old 07-15-2012, 05:12 AM
Vertrees
Senior User
Originally Posted by 1983F1503004x4
That'll be a great truck to build.

Rather than build a stroker motor from a 351, why not start with a 400 (we had a thread on this a while back, and the consensus was to build what you want to build, but I'm just planting the little evil seed in your head to be unique)?
I think I may try and plant another one along side The 351/400M was actually originally designed to out do the cleveland which is a feat to say in itself. The only problem was it would not meet emissions at all. To fix this they put a cam in to actually retard power.

This is the part I'm foggy on as its been years since I've had my modified. I believe the emissions system they had set up in the truck was actually designed into the engine, and it can't be removed. I'll go back through my research when I was going to build my modified to find out, but I'm sure the guys will correct me if I'm wrong.

Problem being is they didn't offer many aftermarket parts for the engine. You will actually have to get parts from other engines. I do know if you put cleveland heads on it it changes from a small block to a big block. Don't really know why to this day for that Only reason I know that is because I wanted to use my truck for the truck pulls. They said if I put the clevland heads on it changed it to a big blcok, and I would have to run with the big block classes.

Something to keep in mind

Old 07-15-2012, 06:54 AM
Chris Guthro
Senior User
The tires are old on the front. Ill be running 10 inch wide black wagon wheels with chrome center caps lugs and trim rings. Im getting the djm dream beam kit for a 3/5 drop. And gonna be a wide set of either white letter cooper cobras or bfg t/a's. Im building a 351w stroker because the tranny is a built small block c6 transmission. Plan is the 393 stroker with the edelbrock top end kit. They say about 400 horse and 412 ft/lb. But thats on a 351. It should make a lot more tourque on a 393 bottom end

Old 07-15-2012, 07:03 AM
Chris Guthro
Senior User
I only paid 800 bucks for it. Its the perfect truck to start with. The tailgate panel us worth what i paid. As well as the front air dam

Old 07-15-2012, 07:05 AM
Chris Guthro
Senior User
Forgot to add my dad works at a bodyshop soi have full access to that. I use his shop to do it all. I have a little mini ford truck graveyard

Old 07-15-2012, 08:56 AM
1983F1503004x4
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I forgot it was a small block C6 you had... going to a 351M/400 would mean a different transmission.

Carry on, and ignore the ignoramus.

That truck will look great the way you've got it planned.

That's black and not like a midnight blue on that truck, right?

Old 07-15-2012, 09:26 AM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Vertrees
I think I may try and plant another one along side The 351/400M was actually originally designed to out do the cleveland which is a feat to say in itself. The only problem was it would not meet emissions at all. To fix this they put a cam in to actually retard power.

This is the part I'm foggy on as its been years since I've had my modified. I believe the emissions system they had set up in the truck was actually designed into the engine, and it can't be removed. I'll go back through my research when I was going to build my modified to find out, but I'm sure the guys will correct me if I'm wrong.

Problem being is they didn't offer many aftermarket parts for the engine. You will actually have to get parts from other engines. I do know if you put cleveland heads on it it changes from a small block to a big block. Don't really know why to this day for that Only reason I know that is because I wanted to use my truck for the truck pulls. They said if I put the clevland heads on it changed it to a big blcok, and I would have to run with the big block classes.

Something to keep in mind
I wonder where Shaun is....

Old 07-15-2012, 09:30 AM
Vertrees
Senior User
Yes it will still be a great truck one way or the other, but what would this site be if we didn't try an sway you another way

Back to the topic at hand I am really looking forward to your build. Should make for a mean truck. Show them ricers whats up! what kind of gears are you going to run in the rear end?

Old 07-15-2012, 09:32 AM
Vertrees
Senior User
Originally Posted by ctubutis
I wonder where Shaun is....
That does not sound good lol

Was I too far off base?

The reason I ask is because I wrote a 4 page article on building a 351/400M back in high school for an english assignment, and its been along time ago since I wrote it, and being in school my knowledge of the modifieds was gaineed only because I had one. I could have gotten some info incorrect, and if I did I would like to know for the future. If I am I will find someone to get with off line.

Old 07-15-2012, 09:52 AM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Vertrees
That does not sound good lol

Was I too far off base?
Heh.... Too far off base..... How to say..... Without being too much of a dick....

I am the mod of the 335-Series engine forum, I have a 400 in my own truck I built ~3-4 years ago but Shaun (Fordzilla-80 or some such, kid in Florida) has been learning a lot about them the past several years and is probably a much better authority at this point than me.

The best online information for the M-blocks that I know of is Bubba's site (an archive of):

Bubba's M-Block Ford V8 Workshop

I had my 400 built by a guy who has built Ford race car engines for a living, he calls his shop Blue Oval Performance.

As I recall, the emissions are no different than most any other engine of this era - retarded valve timing, lower compression, EGR, catalytic converters.

A guy in Minnesota is a 400 guru, he sells his own variant of Keith Black pistons for these engines (amongst other parts). See TMeyer, Inc. Precision Automotive Machining

Both Edelbrock & Weiand (Holley) make intake manifolds, I think CHI makes replacement heads.

As for the smallblock/bigblock stuff, not sure what you're talking about as those terms don't fit Ford engines real well. It sounds to me like the track you were at had made up those rules (Cleveland heads = now in a different class) but I don't follow racing or anything of the sort.

I think the Australian Cleveland 302 heads on these engines, combined with the right pistons & cam, produce an engine that is closer to what the designers were looking to do before the EPA changed things on them.

But, yes... depending on his mood, Shaun can maybe jump down your throat about some things there.

Old 07-15-2012, 09:57 AM
Vertrees
Senior User
Ah. Well thank you for the bit of info, and I will have to try and get offline with Shaun. I don't mind someone being straight forward with me either as I am no expert. I take it as constructive.

Quick Reply: New 84, Now the fun begins!