Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cleaning the Cloth Upholstery on 92 F150

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 04:58 PM
fightlivefree
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cleaning the Cloth Upholstery on 92 F150

I haven't shampooed the upholstery or floor rugs which are not removable on my truck in ages. I have this crazy idea about scubbing the seats with rug cleaner using lots of soapy water and wet vacuuming the water out then letting the whole cab dry out on a hot sunny day. My concern is the electric motor for the air pump (the lumbar support airbag) under the seat. Would this procedure do damage: rust the springs, sheet metal under rugs, short out the electric motors, etc?

Thoughts on this?

Regards,
Larry

Old 07-13-2012, 05:10 PM
AkF250HD
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can remove the switches from your seats and then clean them. I wouldn't worry too much about the wiring but the switches I would. I'd pull the seats out, clean them like you plan, let them dry then reinstall.

Old 07-13-2012, 06:05 PM
fightlivefree
Senior User
Taking Out the Seats.

Ak250HD, I didn't know that the seats could be taken out. I'll have to look into it. Great info. Now I know why I come here when I need help on my truck.
This is a good idea because you can control where the water flows so it doesn't get into the electric motor plus I can cover that with a plastic bag.

Regards,
Larry

Old 07-13-2012, 06:16 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,108 Likes on 2,168 Posts
a good upholstery/carpet cleaning machine can usually be rented for under 50/day, and will only use about 1 quart of liquid for a bucket seat.

Old 07-13-2012, 06:28 PM
AkF250HD
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If they're anything like my seats, you remove 4 bolts, disconnect the connectors for the power lumbar/power seats and they should come right out.

TJC makes a good point, you could probably clean them a lot better with a machine. They should have a hose attachment with them to let you control where the liquid goes.

Old 07-13-2012, 07:18 PM
garthneddy
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I have had good luck with oxy-clean

Old 07-13-2012, 07:39 PM
fightlivefree
Senior User
Originally Posted by tjc transport
a good upholstery/carpet cleaning machine can usually be rented for under 50/day, and will only use about 1 quart of liquid for a bucket seat.
Yeah, that's another good idea.

Regards,
Larry

Old 07-13-2012, 07:44 PM
fightlivefree
Senior User
Originally Posted by AkF250HD
If they're anything like my seats, you remove 4 bolts, disconnect the connectors for the power lumbar/power seats and they should come right out.

TJC makes a good point, you could probably clean them a lot better with a machine. They should have a hose attachment with them to let you control where the liquid goes.
I was doing some searching on the internet and a product called "Blue Coral" is highly recommended. Plus you wouldn't have to take out the seats.

These are all good ideas. Thanks!

Regards,
Larry

Old 07-13-2012, 07:51 PM
jroehl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would make sure that you use a carpet/upholstery cleaner solution. Don't just throw any old soap or detergent at it. Most standard soaps and detergents are made to be rinsed away, otherwise they leave behind a residue that is slightly sticky. It will attract dirt much more quickly and make the seats look terrible in pretty short order. Carpet and upholstery cleaners are made to be no-rinse so that any residue left behind doesn't attract dirt.

Jason

Jason

Old 07-13-2012, 08:04 PM
ncranchero
Postmaster

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Buy a can, try it. You'll be surprised.

I just cleaned a 14 year old nasty Dodge Dakota headliner with it. I really didn't think it would work well on the headliner but it looks like new!

Old 07-13-2012, 08:21 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Pull the seat covers off, spray the **** out of them with upholstery cleaner and throw them in the washer machine. It works great. For the carpet, I like removing it from the truck, again spray with carpet cleaner and use a stiff brush, then powerwash

Old 07-13-2012, 08:26 PM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by ncranchero
Buy a can, try it. You'll be surprised.

I just cleaned a 14 year old nasty Dodge Dakota headliner with it. I really didn't think it would work well on the headliner but it looks like new!

I used this stuff, on the floor mat a friend of mine gave me....

Tt was BLACK....(Actual color is maroon)..After shaking the can up, spraying it on and watching...

I could see it literally lift the crud off the mat...Then I simply rinsed it well, repeated (Using the brush to loosen the harder stuff up) and rinsed again...Clean as a whistle...

Then used some Lucas Detailer on it, and it looks 9/10....

Old 09-13-2016, 12:01 PM
EDsurvivor
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Years ago I came across a product for cleaning fabric upholstery that I can no longer find. I was really impressed with the results. It was a nearly dry sprinkle-on type powder. The consistency reminded me of grated parmesan cheese (the kind Kraft sells in a can)...just the consistency, not the odor or flavor. It had a pleasant fragrance like you'd expect for this type of cleaning product.

This product came with a small scrub brush shrink wrapped to the container. The brush was like a boot brush, but with stiffer bristles.

You would sprinkle the product on the upholstery, scrub with the brush, let it sit for a short time, and then vacuum it up. The results were impressive.

I've checked a few stores locally and can no longer find it. If it sounds at all familiar to anyone and you can recall that actual name of this product please let me know.

Old 09-13-2016, 08:06 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by EDsurvivor
Years ago I came across a product for cleaning fabric upholstery that I can no longer find. I was really impressed with the results. It was a nearly dry sprinkle-on type powder. The consistency reminded me of grated parmesan cheese (the kind Kraft sells in a can)...just the consistency, not the odor or flavor. It had a pleasant fragrance like you'd expect for this type of cleaning product.

This product came with a small scrub brush shrink wrapped to the container. The brush was like a boot brush, but with stiffer bristles.

You would sprinkle the product on the upholstery, scrub with the brush, let it sit for a short time, and then vacuum it up. The results were impressive.

I've checked a few stores locally and can no longer find it. If it sounds at all familiar to anyone and you can recall that actual name of this product please let me know.

You do realize you brought up a 4 year old thread and added Nothing to it, right?

Old 09-13-2016, 10:48 PM
EDsurvivor
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
You do realize you brought up a 4 year old thread and added Nothing to it, right?
I asked a question: If it sounds at all familiar to anyone and you can recall that actual name of this product please let me know.

Quick Reply: Cleaning the Cloth Upholstery on 92 F150