Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

1986 F250 4x4 conversion

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 12:30 AM
southtexasidi
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good piont about the SD springs...I know where there is a set of v codes in a junkyard I could pick up cheaper than the 700 dollar OBS springs. My main concern is relocating the RSK forward 3.5 inches, meaning extending my frame. any thoughts on how I could extend my frame? It would be cool to have a bullnose with SD springs...that rode halfway decent

Old 10-27-2012, 12:36 AM
southtexasidi
Senior User
frame modification

Heres a pic of my frame horn, my thinking is to use SD springs, I need to move the RSK 3.5 inches forward. Since ORU's RSK is made to bolt to the front of MY frame horn, I need to keep the same ''shape'' of the frame horn while moving it forward 3.5in. I have a rough idea on how to do it, but yall have done more of this than I have so Im all ears

Old 10-27-2012, 02:00 PM
88 Ford IDI
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by southtexasidi
Alright I need help choosing leaf springs right quick

I originally planned on using SD springs, but Iv decided against it becauce of the amount of fabrication it would require to my frame. Using OBS springs should be a breeze. And being 17, I really dont give a damn about the way the truck will ride.

So heres my plan, I want to atain 4 inches of lift, racindrummins truck has the stance I want. Im going to use ORU'S 2.5in. RSK. So I need a set of 2in. leaf springs, Iv priced skyjacker and tuff country leafs at darn near 700 bucks for the set...obviously Im wondering if yall know of any other brands or places to buy leaf springs cheaper. 700 bucks would set me back quite a bit

Also, I have a set of 4in. leaf springs that came with the D60. Could I take some leafs out of the stack to make it a "smaller" lift? I dont really want a 6.5 inch lift
One thing to remember is that, iirc Racin used a F350 4" lift. A 4" lift on a F350 equals a 6" lift on a F250 cus a F350 sits 2" higher from the get-go. The stock F250 springs are flat whereas the F350 springs will have a lil arch from the factory. So if you want the same stance, you will either 4" OBS springs off a F350 or 6" inches total from another lift...

Old 10-27-2012, 09:24 PM
tecgod13
Logistics Pro
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

Heres a pic of my frame horn, my thinking is to use SD springs, I need to move the RSK 3.5 inches forward. Since ORU's RSK is made to bolt to the front of MY frame horn, I need to keep the same ''shape'' of the frame horn while moving it forward 3.5in. I have a rough idea on how to do it, but yall have done more of this than I have so Im all ears
Instead of installing the kit straight up and down, you angle it forward. I'm not 100% sure, but I believe thats how others have done it and gotten it to work with SD springs. I haven't looked at the kit for quite a while, but can you turn the brackets around as well? What I mean is spin it 180° so what should be the back, is actually facing forward?

Here are the measurements that I got on my truck going from 2wd to 4x4 to SD springs:
Stock(assumed..) 2wd F250 coil spring/twin I-beam suspension - 33-1/2"
Worn out F250 gas leaf springs with my own reverse shackle kit and D60 axle - 38-1/2"
SuperDuty Springs with relocated spring mounts at the edge of the frame horn - 40"

All these measurements where made at the top of the front wheel arch. Tire size was originally 235/85R16, is now 265/75R16, both are basically a 32" tire if I remember correctly. I rolled my own RSK kit. I used a front mount hitch as a frame stiffener and originally had the front spring bolt where the rubber bushing is mounted for the sway bar in the picture you posted. I built some brackets from square stock that bolted through the 2 slots in the frame, and a 3rd hole I drilled above the angled slot closer to the top of the frame. There was a flat plate that went on the outside of the frame and hitch to support the other end of the front spring bolt (attached with the same bolts as the square tube).

When I went to swap in SD springs, I also noticed a crack in my frame near the steering box, possibly caused by a loose rivet and/or the lack of frame re-enforcement on the passenger side (frame is only boxed by the steering box for 2wd trucks, 4x4's had it on both sides). I fabbed up two plates out of 3/8 steel which was bolted on the outside of the frame, and modified my previous square tube brackets to work as far forward as I could put them. I had to also move the spring eye up over the cross tube for the hitch to get the additional 4 inches. This put the front spring bolt right about the corner where the bottom of the frame horn goes from flat to the 45ish° angle just before it touches the bumper.

Your mileage may vary. I just wanted to through out my actual measurements instead of just blowing smoke... Unfortunately I never really took pictures during the whole process. There might be some in my gallery, at least showing the front stance. I actually took a few on my phone last week for the 'loaded trucks' thread, but have yet to get them from my phone to my computer and post them.

Old 10-28-2012, 12:41 AM
southtexasidi
Senior User
Thanks for the measuremnets! I need to order the RSK and get it in my shop and just look at it...Im interested in ''flipping'' it around to use SD springs..thanks for the idea Iv never heard about that. IIRC the ORU kit comes with some plate to stregthen the frame by boxing it in, its defently something I need to look into more

What did you do for a track bar and mount? Im planning on ordering the trac bar mount and adjustable trac bar from PMF, they say it fits the 92-97 OBS. BUT from what I can see, it should work on my 86...

Old 10-28-2012, 08:41 AM
tecgod13
Logistics Pro
At first I didn't run a trac bar at all. The stock one came with my D60, but someone had cut the mount off the axle or something like that... so only have that side was there.

I decided to put it back on to negate some of the bump steer that potholes caused, and maybe a few other really minor things. With some careful measuring comparing to the stock F350 I bought for parts last year, I put the frame bracket about where it should be. For the axle end, I just took another flat chunk of 3/8 plate and slapped it under the spring mount on the passenger side. Then I attached the u-shaped trac bar bracket to the piece of plate. So far its been working great. I really should get some pictures of this monstrosity...

Old 10-28-2012, 09:04 AM
southtexasidi
Senior User
I guess fabbing it all up would be an option too...ill lookm into it.

Id love to see some pictures of all this, you did exactly what Im trying to do

Old 11-05-2012, 08:53 PM
southtexasidi
Senior User

This weekend was full of deals. I found a set of SD springs for 40 bucks. I also spotted a holset he351ve for my buddys idi for 100 bucks

Old 11-05-2012, 11:09 PM
88 Ford IDI
Posting Guru

This weekend was full of deals. I found a set of SD springs for 40 bucks. I also spotted a holset he351ve for my buddys idi for 100 bucks
Why not for your idi?

What all mods does your friends idi have to go along with that turbo? And is he gonna post up the build here as well?

Old 11-06-2012, 02:51 PM
southtexasidi
Senior User
I had already spent my money that day lol

He's got a 77 f250 4x4 crew cab thats gonnna get a built 6.9. Were looking for a good motor right now, itll be studded, prolly stockish bottom end, pump, turbo, cac, intake and so on. Im trying to get him to put up a build thread here pretty soon

Old 11-06-2012, 08:41 PM
88 Ford IDI
Posting Guru
Ah I got ya. And that sounds like a cool build. Its always cool seeing old trucks getting a diesel transplanted into them.

Old 11-07-2012, 05:54 AM
hookedondiesel
Senior User
I wish I had a garage like that.

Old 11-15-2012, 02:25 PM
southtexasidi
Senior User
update

im lucky to have it...

Got my 6637 on yesterday, along with a sticker for extra powa. Also ordered my RS kit last week. Once the axle is done (waiting on 1 spindle) she'll be goin in the shop for the conversion

before:

Old 12-02-2012, 08:39 PM
southtexasidi
Senior User
D60 work

D60 is almost done, STILL waiting on my RSK. The old warn hubs were stripped and or missing parts. Lucky me, I found some newish locking hubs in our barn...I think theyr gonna look good

Old 12-03-2012, 05:46 PM
tecgod13
Logistics Pro
Nice!
While its sitting there, its a great time to clean up the whole axle and put some shiny new paint on it

Quick Reply: 1986 F250 4x4 conversion