1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heavy towing with a TrueTrac

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 09:31 AM
DieselVol
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by meborder
everything redford said ...

your trutrac will function as an open diff until there is a torque bias or speed differential across the diff.

everything you said is essentiall correct, except that in a conventional 4wd, the suspension tries to unload the RR tire, and the FL tire, which is why they want to spin first. it's an equal and opposite thing. the suspension will still unload those tires, but the LS will now give the truck the means to transfer power to the wheel with the most weight on it (LR and FR)

something else to take note: the trutrac will bias torque anytime the helical gears are driven and there is a differential in wheel speed. so it will engage both in acceleration and deceleration. this is good for extreme traction, but it can cause some funky handling, particularly on very slick surfaces (think mud or pack snow) it will be much easier to slide straight sideways. you may find that you have to do some quick thinking and engage or disengage depending on what the truck is doing.

keep in mind that disengaging the front hubs or transfer case will keep the front from engaging, and a bump to neutral will keep them both from engaging if needed. you may find that going down slick hills a bump to neutral may provide the best stability and will allow the ABS to function the best.
Sounds like I've traded problems. However, my goal was to be able to move forward, so it sounds like I've got that covered. Not sure I understand why a decleration would cause a torque difference between the wheels. Aren't both (or all 4) losing power at the same rate and time?

Old 07-03-2012, 09:58 AM
Y2KW57
Received 3,345 Likes on 1,753 Posts
Just dropping a bread crumb here. This is a great thread. I've had a factory installed TrueTrac in my rear differential for 12 years (Dana 135), but haven't made much use of it. Keep up the good posts, Mike and redford!

Old 07-03-2012, 10:04 AM
DieselVol
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Y2KW57
Just dropping a bread crumb here. This is a great thread. I've had a factory installed TrueTrac in my rear differential for 12 years (Dana 135), but haven't made much use of it. Keep up the good posts, Mike and redford!
They say they pay you the big money for asking the right questions. I think I deserve some props here....

Old 07-03-2012, 11:55 AM
Y2KW57
Received 3,345 Likes on 1,753 Posts
Originally Posted by DieselVol
They say they pay you the big money for asking the right questions. I think I deserve some props here....
You are quite right, DieselVol. Props to you too, for understanding the issues well enough to articulate the question, and for continuing to give it "traction" throughout the responses.

Old 07-03-2012, 04:21 PM
meborder
Received 365 Likes on 260 Posts
Sounds like I've traded problems. However, my goal was to be able to move forward, so it sounds like I've got that covered. Not sure I understand why a decleration would cause a torque difference between the wheels. Aren't both (or all 4) losing power at the same rate and time?
i'd say you got the going forward part covered ....

the stoping thing is just a querk to be aware of, but not that much different than you would have with any LS diff.

specifically, the trutrac gives you an advantage that a clutch type LS does not have, that is that if you remove the load from the drivetrain, you remove the ability to bias torque. with a clutch type LS, even if you are in neutral, the clutches will engage to limit the differential speed between the two wheels. the truetrac, in netural, has nothing to do, which can be a benefit, at least at times.

Aren't both (or all 4) losing power at the same rate and time?
yes, and in a straight line, with no difference in wheel speed, the trutrac will have no effect at all.

if you are turning, however, there will be a difference in wheel speed and the trutrac will try to spin the wheels at the same speed. now, during braking, i'm not sure if it will try to speed up the slower wheel, or slow down the faster wheel (my guess is the latter), it WILL do something if the wheels are applying a decelerating torque to the pinion.

if you remove the decelerating load on the pinion, the trutrac will do nothing. so, on the front, just put it in 2wd when decelerating on very slick stuff and the front will not try to slip sideways. on the rear, you'd have to put it in neutral. or if you are in 4wd, putting it in neutral down a hill removes the torque biasing ability from both the front and rear axle.

i guess what i'm saying is just to be aware that they work when slowing down as well. be ready to bump to neutral on very slick downhill terrain. at least with the trutrac you CAN disengage it, with a suregrip, positraction, or trac-loc, you do not have this ability except on the front with the hubs unlocked. the rears will always try to spin at the same speed (side to side) no matter what you do with these types of LS's.

confused yet?

Old 07-03-2012, 06:12 PM
DieselVol
Laughing Gas
Oh yeah, plenty confused. It would be nice to have a clutch to push in when on ice, but I'm glad I have auto for the other 99.9% of the time I'm driving.
An aside question: I've notice steering in general seems harder now. Not in 4wd, just driving around town. Feels like the front tires are low on air, just very heavy. Is the TrueTrac doing that? I know the front end now weighs an extra 50 lbs, but I doubt that explains it.

Old 07-03-2012, 08:47 PM
meborder
Received 365 Likes on 260 Posts
Oh yeah, plenty confused. It would be nice to have a clutch to push in when on ice, but I'm glad I have auto for the other 99.9% of the time I'm driving.
An aside question: I've notice steering in general seems harder now. Not in 4wd, just driving around town. Feels like the front tires are low on air, just very heavy. Is the TrueTrac doing that? I know the front end now weighs an extra 50 lbs, but I doubt that explains it.
in theory, no.

in reality, anything is possible, but as i've said before, i've never had one so i'm not real sure how they perform in the real world.

i find it hard to belive that it could be influencing anything in 2wd, especially if the hubs are in neutral.

i suppose if the hubs are engaged and the wheels are trying to turn the pinion and front driveshaft, there could be enough internal resistance to engage the trutrac to some degree and make the wheel harder to turn.

as i said, in theory, having the t-case disengaged should allow the trutrac to function as an open diff even if the hubs are engaged, but i'm afraid this is where knowledge and theory may depart slightly from reality

... you may well have hit the limits of my knowledge on the topic.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:20 PM
DieselVol
Laughing Gas
Well you've brought me safe thus far, maybe somebody else can lead me home? I agree with you on the steering. I will add that I discovered tonight that my left front shock is very loose. I doubt that is the explanation either, but I'll tighten it up in the morning and see.

Old 07-04-2012, 08:43 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
If the hubs are disengaged the TruTrac cannot be affecting the steering in any way. Either you ahve the hubs engaged while in 2wd, and some people like it that way, or you're imagining the steering is harder.

Old 07-04-2012, 11:54 AM
DieselVol
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
If the hubs are disengaged the TruTrac cannot be affecting the steering in any way. Either you ahve the hubs engaged while in 2wd, and some people like it that way, or you're imagining the steering is harder.
I agree that imagination is definitely a possibility. I tightened that shock tower this morning and, as expected, it made no real difference in the steering. I suspect I may just be paranoid. I tend to notice every little thing that changes about the truck, some of them just imagined. However, to my credit, I diagnosed that loose left front shock about 3 weeks ago and it only took about 4 half turns of the ratchet this morning to make that extra bump on each bump in the road to go away. I ain't always wrong (don't tell that to my wife!).