1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Really odd problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 06:12 PM
SamVe
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guess my truck insists on makeing a fool out of me. Got the tire gauge sitting in the console just waiting on the truck to act up. Put a good many miles on it with the untreated fuel today, even driving the fool out of it at 70-75mph on the way home. Guess what? Not even a hic-up. I know it will eventually act up, but while I can spare the time in the morning I'll go ahead and get that pressure reading and clean the screen and go from there. BTW, has anyone got a source on replacement hubcaps? I've got the aluminim wheels and mine was missing when I bought the truck. Thanks. Don't think I spelled that right, but you get the idea.

Old 07-02-2012, 06:23 PM
SamVe
Senior User
Do you think I can gain a mile or two per gallon with the new airflow system?

Old 07-03-2012, 06:00 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SamVe
Do you think I can gain a mile or two per gallon with the new airflow system?
I doubt it.

The biggest reason to get rid of the stock airbox is that they were poorly designed and if the updated design was not installed, they are prone to leaking and dusting your motor. Well, that, and the increased efficiency and sound of the 6637 setup.

I doubt you will gain 2 MPG though. 1....maybe.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:20 AM
SamVe
Senior User
My fuel pressure is a little low, 52psi. I'm having a difficult time trying to locate that screen, not sure if I got it or not. I didn't remove it from the bowl because of the possible o-ring issue. Could you give me a little more detail where that screen is?

Old 07-03-2012, 09:27 AM
SamVe
Senior User
Never mind, got it. All kinds of black junk coming out.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:31 AM
redman84
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Take the filter from the bowl, look inside the bowl on the drivers side maybe 1/3 of the way down, theres a hole. The screen is inside there. Probably need a flashlight and q tip w no cotton.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:50 AM
SamVe
Senior User
Hope that's not a bad omen, a bird got trapped in my truck while I was under the hood. Got a good bit of an oil sludge looking stuff out. Still got 52psi. Think I should remove it and clean better? Does parts stores have that o-ring and if so, what do I ask for?

Old 07-03-2012, 10:09 AM
redman84
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had an intermittent rough running problem. It didn't resolve though. Instead it developed into a no start condition. I went through every diagnostic I could think of with much help from here with no conclusion so I started cleaning fuel supply and luckily started with the fpr that ended up having a severe internal restriction somehow. Cleared that out, all new fuel bowl and fpr o rings and no issue since. Got the orings from bob because he is closer than clay but they both have them. You can get a diesel rated o ring elsewhere but I don't know the specs.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:15 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
If you have the FPR clean and you're only getting 52 PSI, you either have a weak pump or you need to shim the FPR. Here is the how-to on shimming the FPR. Cheap (or free) and easy.

TikiWiki : Shim Your Fuel Pressure Regulator 94-97

Old 07-03-2012, 10:17 AM
SamVe
Senior User
Drove her up the road and back on the treated fuel. Still 52psi. I'm thinking at this point of just planning to fo ahead with the rebuild. Wonder how much more junk is inside that thing?

Old 07-03-2012, 10:34 AM
SamVe
Senior User
Doubt the pump is the problem. Was installed 4 or 5 months ago. I know just because it's new doesn't mean anything. Looked at that shimming, how good is the Ford kit?

Old 07-03-2012, 11:06 AM
SamVe
Senior User
Just made Bob $40 richer. Got the whole 9 yards, hoses and clamps too. Should be able to do this saturday. He was nice and very helpful. Wait a minute. Guess I'll have to get the shim thing together before I rebuild this thing so I don't have to take anything back apart. Might not make it by saturday.

Old 07-03-2012, 11:17 AM
SamVe
Senior User
Bob said something about cleaning it with Simple Green, I've got some chem-dip. Think it'll be safe to drop it in there?

Old 07-03-2012, 12:03 PM
pjwoolw
Postmaster

If you soak the bowl and associated parts too long in Simple Green or some type of degreaser cleaner the aluminum will oxidize. So keep an eye out and rinse thoroughly. Chem-Dip I'm not familiar with.

Old 07-03-2012, 01:34 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Bob is a good guy. That's where I got my O-rings as well.

Just use a BB to shim the FPR.

If I recall correctly I just cleaned out the bowl as best I could with rags and then used some brake parts cleaner to degrease the bowl before I reassembled everything. I would think Simple Green would work well too, although I am not sure I would soak the parts in the stuff. It is pretty harmless stuff, but the bowl being aluminum and all, I'm not sure I would leave it soaking for very long.

Quick Reply: Really odd problem