Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > Expedition & Navigator
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-28-2012, 09:33 PM
Senior User

WhyFord is starting off with a positive reputation.
05 Expedition A/C Compressor Leaking...Please Help!

We just had 3 days over 100 degree in a roll here in Texas when the compressor starts leaking...

When I first noticed no A/C this morning, I found some A/C oil (green) on my garage floor where my Expedition parked over night. Since that location is right under the compressor, I checked the compressor and found the rear end of it is wet. I took a picture (you can still see the green oil droplets around that area):

Click the image to open in full size.

Since I never touched the A/C on this truck before, could anybody here tell me if there is a simple fix for this? It may be just some O-rings I hope.

Could anybody tell me how and where the hoses/tubings attached to the compressor on this truck (screw and O-ring size, etc.)? I really need my A/C...

Thanks!
'94 Bronco XLT, 5.8L
Old 06-30-2012, 10:32 AM
Postmaster

Moto Mel has a great reputation on FTE.Moto Mel has a great reputation on FTE.Moto Mel has a great reputation on FTE.Moto Mel has a great reputation on FTE.Moto Mel has a great reputation on FTE.
Most parts stores have a complete o-ring kit for our compressors, cost is $10.99 at Autozone. I'm pretty sure it's only 1 bolt that secures the suction and pressure lines to the compressor. The compressor will have to be lowered to gain access to this area. 3 bolts secure it to the block and it's not too hard of a job. You will have to vacuum the system down before recharging, that may be the hard part of the job.If you don't have a way to vacuum down the system make a post or PM me with your email address and I'll tell you how my son vacuumed down the system on a beater he bought and the a/c has been working fine for several years so far.
Old 06-30-2012, 01:39 PM
Senior User

You are right. I just had a closer look today and I think it's leaking from the high side port:

Click the image to open in full size.

I managed tightening up that bolt a little bit (it's not loose much) without dropping the compressor and then filled it with some 134 w/ O-ring sealer/expander and oil. I will let it sit overnight to soak the O-ring and then fill the last can tomorrow. In the mean time, I will go to Autozone to get some O-rings.

BTW, I didn't see any washer under that bolt (you can see it in the picture). Even the bolt has a bigger head that can function as a washer, I think there should still be a washer there, right? Maybe Ford forgot it and that's why it's leaking...

I do have a vacuum pump and can do some A/C work if I have to.

Thanks!
'94 Bronco XLT, 5.8L
Old 06-30-2012, 02:38 PM
Post Fiend

alloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to all
No need for a washer there, it's aluminum block and it's not supposed to be that tight.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:10 AM
Senior User

Aluminum block should make a washer even more important, right? Without a washer, the pressure will push/bend the block easier and create a leak, right? Since it happened during the hottest days (105!), I think this is the case.

Since I only made a temporary fix this time, I didn't touch it. But if I have to replace the O-rings next time, I will definitely put a washer there.

I added one more can of 134 this morning and it seems holding. I measured the exit temperature and it's 37!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alloro View Post
No need for a washer there, it's aluminum block and it's not supposed to be that tight.
'94 Bronco XLT, 5.8L
Old 07-01-2012, 09:10 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > Expedition & Navigator

Tags
2000, 2003, 2005, 5000, 99, ac, anymore, compressor, dripping, expedition, expedtion, ford, green, leak, leaking, oil, water